An idea for a "Supporter's Gate" at BMO field

billyfly

My idea: (and I've tried to get Paul B from TFC FO to buy into this) is a "supporters gate" worthy of the the support we give TFC and the CMNT. Basically (in the style of Anfield's gates) a large coat of arms of either Toronto or Canada. See pictures below for concept.

Idea background: I once saw a large wrought iron Canadian coat of arms at MLG that has since disappeared (?). I am trying to locate it or at least find out what happened to it. This would be a great thing to put on display at BMO and Canada's National Soccer Stadium.

If we can't find it/obtain it, I'd like MLSE to get one or, since I come from a family of welders/artists, we make one and donate it to BMO Field.

What better way to put a nice little stamp on our stadium in these perilous times (Argos).

Notes: There is a duplicate thread at the RPB boards.

Questions? Ideas? Wanna help?

>

447px-coat_of_arms_of_canadasvg.png

shanklygatesx1075.JPG

Welcome to the Voyageurs forums Billyfly!

It is an interesting idea, and I would support it, but just to prepare you abit, here are a few possible concerns:

1) MLSE is a little busy with bigger issues at BMO right now involving the Argos and the North Stand for something like this. If things go really bad with the Argos, then we can't even be sure if TFC will stay at BMO Field.

2) Even if items are donated, there would still be costs associated with it and this is something that doesn't directly increase revenue for MLSE or the city.

3) This is city owned property, so there will be alot work to do to convince them of something that doesn't appear to offer anything of any obvious value (pics of Anfield won't help with most of them). You will have to educate them and have petitions/polls to support the idea.

4) Old features in old buildings are protected and grandfathered from alot of new rules. A new set of gates for a newish stadium will have to comply with building codes and keep both the police and fire marshall happy as far as things like access, crowd control, and emergency evacuation are concerned. There could alotof time consuming paperwork here.

I like your idea and hope you can pull this off. Can I suggest the TFC and CSA logos be worked in there with "This is our House" as a motto? Also, if the stadium name is worked in, then it is the National Soccer Stadium, as BMO Field may only exist as a name for another seven years once the ten year agreement is up and MLSE rents the naming rights to the highest bidder.

One last thing. It is good that you posted this on the RPB site, but I would also post it on the U-Sector site as well since they also use that gate. The North End Elite do not use that gate so unless you change the proposed location they probably won't care too much.

frigg off with the This is our house BMO bull**** in regards to the CMNT please.

I see the foul language applets are working full time on me today.

^ I would agree with that. It's not even a "slogan" for TFC, it was just a silly chant that caught on amongst the less vociferous supporters in the stadium. As a chant it lost luster as time went on.

In regards to the actual stadium though, the slogan works IMO. And it is already painted (in red and white) above the players' tunnel leading to the field.

From the vids I saw (wish I'd actually been there :() it looks like it was chanted quite a bit during the match vs. Jamaica. Well... along with a complementary line that mightn't be looked at too positively by Canadian fans and media not in the fold.

I sit on the fence with this one. Obviously the Liverpool supporters popularized You'll Never Walk Alone, which is a song of passionate support, whereas This Is Our House is just a simple chant. This brings up the 'what is our song?' question again. Is something as simple as TIOH worth holding on to in the form of a grand gate entrance way?

Apparently I did not. Actually, evidence on Facebook suggests I did at one point, but obviously drunk hands aren't good at holding on to things (except the beer). Someone send me a pdf or something of the sheet, I never really did get a good look at what was on it.

quote:Originally posted by I_AM_CANADIAN

I think people have completely, completely misunderstood. "This is Our House" being incorporated was just a suggestion, it's not central to the idea.

The question asked was do people like the idea of a wrought-iron Canadian coat of arms gate?

yeah, my bad.

Ok guys, I'm really sorry that I suggested "this is our house" for the supporters' gate. It was not part of the original post and I hope that we didn't scare off the newcomer who started this thread.

Back on topic: what do people think of Billyfly's idea to have a supporters' gate at BMO Field?

Sad to see that the RPB board version of this thread didn't survive the usual off season fan group squabbling. I don't see why a gate with the Toronto or Canadian coat of arms or something reasonably generic like that would be a problem for anybody in a territorial sort of way. I suspect TFC management would steer well clear of doing something for Gate 3 only, however, because it might antagonize people in other portions of the stadium who are spending a lot more money to be able to attend games than people in sections 112 and 113.

quote:Originally posted by Chaos

Since MLSE don't own the stadium, the slogan/logo/etc can't be TFC specific. At the same time, if it were only a CMT slogan/logo/etc, it would have no meaning in the TFC context.

Not sure how this can be reconciled.

I do not think that a supporters gate can't be TFC specific just becasue it is the "national stadium". They play 20 times a year, the nats, considerably less. However, TFC has not been around very long, there is no tradition or history - for either the club or the supporters - it is probably way too early to go in this direction. I don't think sports franchises should contrive or imitate symbloms from other clubs simply for the sake of doing so. TFC will develop, in time, their own aura, history, and traditions and those should be the basis of their symbols and tributes.

Archived