Champions League Stadium Requirements

probably because, without such a stiplulation, there might be ambiguity in regards to, say, a field in a public park ( with six or seven rows of benches) and an actual event facility that is designated for a sports event. I'll bet that there is ton of legalities that distringuish each of these. For example, what kind of emergency and medical facilities are you expected to provide, by civic authorities, in a actual event facility versus a public field? etc etc. I dont know, I am guessing

But, what it sounds like is that they want is an actual facility rather than some field in a park and that makes sence to me. For many many other obvious reasons.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

That's not good if Montreal makes it back...

You mean our terrace?

I doubt CONCACAF will enforce that for a couple of hundred people. I think it's only in place to stop events like all those disasters from the 60's/70's.

Besides, when we played Esteli, they were in a standing section.

It should be just as easy to re-install a couple hundred seats as it was to pop them out in the first place, if that's what it comes down to. As to Real Esteli's ground, I think that this is the new, revised rulebook, which wasn't in effect last year. It says no standing, but the big paragraph is the previously announced rule change that if you don't have a decent stadium in your country, you can't play Champions League. As we all recall, getting the Big Owe approved for winter play was touch and go for a while there, and this categorically rules out the Impact or TFC playing winter games in Florida. If it isn't Skydome or the Big Owe, we would have to play at Swangard. It also potentially rules out some central american countries entirely, that simply have no acceptable stadiums.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

That's not good if Montreal makes it back...

I don't think that that is what they had in mind when they put those restrictions or conditions. Its not places like SS that they dont want, its facilities like, say, Esther shiner stadium or any of the multitude of facilities outside of USL or MLS.

That is why it unlikely that you will ever see anyone other than a USL or MLS team admitted into the Canadian championships.

A couple of other interesting tidbits from the rules and regs:

4.9 All revenues from gate receipts accrue to the home team, subject to the provisions of these regulations including any levy on gross gates receipts payable to CONCACAF

4.11 Participating teams agree to submit to CONCACAF, for pre-approval, any plan to issue in excess of 1500 complimentart tickets for any home game.

4.12 Participating teams agree to pay 5% of gross ticket revenue to CONCACAF within (30) days of the match.

Also interesting, section 5.0 talks about player lists, registering players, player eligibility which addresses about some of questions we had here in other threads

Archived