CSL Week 10

Ivan

Finally made it out to a Wolves game, tonight vs. TR Attak.

Wolves went up 1-0 early on a great 25 yard strike by right back Danny Gallagher. TRA tied it as a long cross (I think by Alex Suprenant)found its way through to Kevin Cossette, who buried it from close range. A red card was issued to Wolves for a hard challenge on Serge Dinkota. 1-1 at half.

Mircea Ilcu came on in the second half for TRA and after a couple of poor touches, received the ball at the top of the box, took a couple of touches to sidestep a defenders, and ripped a shot into the upper left corner. Shortly thereafter, Calvin Rosario split the TRA defense and tied the game. A couple minutes later it was 3-2 for TRA as Reda Agourram scored from the left side.

Game got somewhat farcical after that with 2 more red cards issued to wolves. They finished with 8 men. Game ended 3-2.

Wolves were a bigger, physical team looking much fitter and quicker than last year. TRA were young but very quick and skilled. Their two 17 year old CBs, Karl Ouimette and Francesco Augustin were skilled and composed, but need to get stronger. Suprenant started slow, but his skill and ball delivery became evident as the game wore on.

All in all, very entertaining game - except for the last 10 minutes. TRA brought on a kid (#21, I think his last name is Nana) fairly who looked really quick and skilled, but he was playing against 10, 9, then 8 men.

(I would say it's Week 11 though for this thread).

Result of the Friday July 24, 2009 CSL game between Brampton Lions and Serbian White Eagles played at Victoria Park in Brampton at 8:00pm.

10 min…SWE Alex Braletic GOAL…Braletic takes low 30 yard blast up middle into right corner of net between post and goalie Kevin Doyle who didn’t dive to make save.

11 min…SWE Sasa Viciknez jumps over sliding defender at 25 yards and is then tripped by the goalie at 15 yards as he tries to run around him. Referee Domenic Scali awards a Penalty kick and gives goalie Kevin Doyle a Yellow card.

12 min…SWE Sasa Viciknez GOAL…Viciknez Penalty kick blast to right side of net as goalie flies left.

21 min…Lions Agustin DeMedina GOAL…DeMedina pushes ball up on right and goalie DAN PELC slides out but past ball and DeMedina beats defender to hit 10 yarder from sharp right into left corner of open net.

29 min…Lions David Guzman GOAL…Guzman gets pass up middle through defenders and blasts 15 yarder over sprawling goalie into center of net.

42 min…SWE Shane Lammie GOAL…SWE Sasa Viciknez cross from 25 yards on left has leaping Lammie head 8 yarder between goalie and right post.

47 min (1st half)…SWE Alex Braletic GOAL…SWE Kiril Dimitrov gives up on ball into Lions end and partial clearance by defender has Braletic blast 30 yarder down middle into right side of net.

59 min…SWE Shane Lammie GOAL…SWE Sasa Viciknez blasts 28 yard freekick from left which hits crossbar and bounces out for Lammie to blast 10 yarder under bar and over goalie into middle of net.

65 min…Lions Andrew DaSilva GOAL…SWE defenders partially clear cornerkick from right but DaSilva stops ball and takes low 25 yard shot through crowd of players into center of net past goalie MARKO PETROVIC. (PETROVIC came into the game at the start of the second half).

78 min…SWE Dragan Radovic GOAL…SWE Jonathan Hertis takes 30 yard freekick from left and Radovic in center of box leaps in crowd of players and heads ball into left corner of net from 5 yards.

Final Score:…………Brampton Lions……..3…………Serbian White Eagles……………6………

Attendance was about 400 people on this special “Dixie Day” weekend. The field was full of kids from the Dixie Soccer Club which now has an affiliation with the Lions.

This game was actually moved from Centennial Stadium in Etobicoke because of the City of Toronto workers strike. Victoria Park is the usual home of the Lions but Centennial (which happens to be the home of White Eagles games) was planned from the beginning of the year to handle the overflow. A pregame rain might have scared a lot of the walk up crowd. The field was slippery with players sliding around out there but the grass had been cut shorter than the last time I was here. Lions wore replica black & blue striped shirts so they looked exactly like the Dixie SC kids.

Former Trinidad & Tobago coach Hannibal Najjar was in attendance and he will be conducting coaching clinics over the weekend. He is no relation to the former owner of the Brampton Hitmen of the CPSL a few years ago.

This was the first time this year I’ve seen ex-North York Astros forward Shane Lammie after a long lasting injury from last year and his speed worked great with Sasa Viciknez on the White Eagles. This combo could bring back the Sasa Viciknez and Gabriel Pop glory days of a few years ago with high scoring games. Viciknez taking cornerkicks and freekicks and Lammie and tall defender Thierry Mangwa in the box ready to head them in. They almost had three more scores with that tactic.

It was not a great day for goalies as the wet balls were difficult to catch and ground ball shots took strange bounces when they’d hit bumps in the box.

I was expecting the rout was on after White Eagles scored the first two goals but was surprised the game was tied up. Two White Eagles goals before the half put the lead at back where it was as they pulled away. Ultras Serb fans lit flares after one of the White Eagles second half goals.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

65 min…Lions Andrew DaSilva GOAL…SWE defenders partially clear cornerkick from right but DaSilva stops ball and takes low 25 yard shot through crowd of players into center of net past goalie Dan Pelc. (Pelc came into the game at the start of the second half).

Dan Pelc is blond and 6'6" tall, Marko Petrovic has dark hair and is about 5'10". It's hard to confused these two keepers, obviously Petrovic is the one that came into the game in the second half and not the other way around.

It was a well played game by the midfielders and the strikers, not so good by the defenders in both teams, Brampton keeper Kevin Doyle was their best player and for SWE, Sasa Viciknez was the best player imo. Nice atmosphere at the game, I loved the grass field.

Result of the Saturday July 25, 2009 CSL game between North York Astros and Italia Shooters played at DownsviewPark in North York at 3:00pm.

10 min…Shooters (Astros own goal) GOAL…Shooters Kadian Lecky cross from 12 yards on right has sliding Astros Alex Kawalit redirect ball into own net from 10 yards.

15 min…Shooters Kadian Lecky GOAL…Shooters Alvaro Yaques rolls ball up middle from 30 yards and Lecky gets ball at 20 yards and blasts 15 yarder up middle

under bar in center of net.

40 min…Shooters Kadian Lecky GOAL…Shooters rush on left and shoots over sliding goalie Arthur Zaslavski at 15 yards into low center of net.

60 min…Astros Diego Benzi GOAL…Astros player taps back freekick from only 6 yards and Benzi blasts low 12 yard shot that deflects off defender’s leg into left corner of net with goalie Camilo Benzi (his brother I heard) lost in the crowd of players.

65 min…Shooters Geron Duporte GOAL…Duporte low 18 yards shot from right into left corner of net behind diving goalie.

Final Score:……….North York Astros……..1……..Italia Shooters………4……….

Attendance was about 60 people with almost half in their cars parked in the endzone watching the game like a drive-in movie. The rain downpour started about 30 minutes before the game and lasted well after the game was over. I couldn’t watch the game from the press tent as I couldn’t see either net from my angle so I watched the end of the first half and the entire second from my own car. I didn’t care about the rain as I had my umbrella but I couldn’t hold it and make notes. Rogers community channel was filming the game for broadcast at 8:00pm but I don’t get cable so I’ll have to wait weeks to see the torrent to make better notes like substitutes and he took shots at the other end of the field after the season is over.

The game was played on artificial turf but was a ditch full of water on one of the sidelines. I may have made the broadcast fetching a ball that was floating on it in the second half. The hard rain definitely effected play. The rain had two settings “Hard” and “Harder”.

New players for teams:…Shooters had MLS/USL/CPSL veteran Rick Titus to stabilize their defence. Astros have 2008 CSL Rookie of the Year (he won it while playing for TFCAcademy) as a midfielder on their team.

Shooters help their own cause opening another three points further away from the 9th and 10th place teams Astros and LondonCity. Regardless of divisions, only two teams don’t make the playoffs.

This game had been moved from Esther Shiner Stadium because of the City of Toronto workers’ strike which now has lasted over a month.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

Result of the Saturday July 25, 2009 CSL game between North York Astros and Italia Shooters played at DownsviewPark in North York at 3:00pm.

10 min…Shooters (Astros own goal) GOAL…Shooters Kadian Lecky cross from 12 yards on right has sliding Astros Alex Kawalit redirect ball into own net from 10 yards.

15 min…Shooters Kadian Lecky GOAL…Shooters Alvaro Yaques rolls ball up middle from 30 yards and Lecky gets ball at 20 yards and blasts 15 yarder up middle

under bar in center of net.

40 min…Shooters Kadian Lecky GOAL…Shooters rush on left and shoots over sliding goalie Arthur Zaslavski at 15 yards into low center of net.

60 min…Astros Diego Benzi GOAL…Astros player taps back freekick from only 6 yards and Benzi blasts low 12 yard shot that deflects off defender’s leg into left corner of net with goalie Camilo Benzi (his brother I heard) lost in the crowd of players.

65 min…Shooters Geron Duporte GOAL…Duporte low 18 yards shot from right into left corner of net behind diving goalie.

Final Score:……….North York Astros……..1……..Italia Shooters………4……….

Attendance was about 60 people with almost half in their cars parked in the endzone watching the game like a drive-in movie. The rain downpour started about 30 minutes before the game and lasted well after the game was over. I couldn’t watch the game from the press tent as I couldn’t see either net from my angle so I watched the end of the first half and the entire second from my own car. I didn’t care about the rain as I had my umbrella but I couldn’t hold it and make notes. Rogers community channel was filming the game for broadcast at 8:00pm but I don’t get cable so I’ll have to wait weeks to see the torrent to make better notes like substitutes and he took shots at the other end of the field after the season is over.

The game was played on artificial turf but was a ditch full of water on one of the sidelines. I may have made the broadcast fetching a ball that was floating on it in the second half. The hard rain definitely effected play. The rain had two settings “Hard” and “Harder”.

New players for teams:…Shooters had MLS/USL/CPSL veteran Rick Titus to stabilize their defence. Astros have 2008 CSL Rookie of the Year (he won it while playing for TFCAcademy) as a midfielder on their team.

Shooters help their own cause opening another three points further away from the 9th and 10th place teams Astros and LondonCity. Regardless of divisions, only two teams don’t make the playoffs.

This game had been moved from Esther Shiner Stadium because of the City of Toronto workers’ strike which now has lasted over a month.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

Result of the Sunday July 26, 2009 CSL game between TFCAcademy and Portugal FC played at DownsviewPark in North York at 3:00pm.

42 min…TFCA Josh Janniere GOAL…TFCA James Stamopoulos threads a pass from left from 25 yards to TFCA Allandro Matheson who shoots from 12 yards and diving PFC goalie Adrian Ibanez saves. Janniere follows in to kick 10 yard shot over fallen goalie into left side of net.

46 min (1st half)…TFCA James Stamopoulos GOAL…Stamopoulos gets to loose ball and sends 28 yard blast down middle is into left side of net behind flying goalie.

65 min…PFC RED card…Giovanni Annissi earns this for stepping on fallen Allandro Matheson in center circle.

………..TFCA RED card…Allandro Matheson earns this for punching Giovanni Annissi when he gets back up.

77 min…PFC Taylor Lord was called on a hand ball in the PFC box when a TFCA player blasted a shot from edge of the box. Referee Mike Lambert pointed to the penalty spot.

78 min…TFCA James Stamopoulos blasts Penalty kick low that crumpling goalie Mike Silva saves and PFC defenders eventually clear the rebound from the box. (Silva had taken over as PFC goalie at the start of the second half).

85 min…TFCA goalie Sotiri Varlokostas misses ball on edge of box and TFCA defender Daniel DiBiago pushes over PFC Danny Amaral who was ready to head ball into empty net from 5 yards. DiBiago earns a RED card and the referee awards a Penalty kick.

86 min…PFC Danny Amaral GOAL…Amaral kicks his Penalty shot to right corner of net as goalie dives left.

89 min…PFC Danny Amaral GOAL…PFC Jaroslaw Radzinski sends in low cross on rush to left end line and diving Amaral connect on header from 3 yards just off ground as low as someone doing pushups!

94 min…game ends.

Attendance was about 60 with people in the stands and watching from the end zone in their cars. There had been a pregame thunderstorm and then rain for several hours this morning and then a mild shower just before the game started. The rain during the game was nowhere near as bad as the downpour in the North York Astros vs. Italia Shooters game held at the same time at this venue yesterday.

There were a few distractions in this game besides the rain/threat of rain. This game had been moved from Esther Shiner Stadium because of the City of Toronto workers strike. The field beside this one was not separated by a fence and the ball came onto the field used in this game more than half a dozen times. The referee’s whistle in that game was quite distracting as were the sometimes cheers when a goal was scored by the fans watching that game. This site was the old DownsviewAirport military base and there were some civilian cargo planes taxiing and taking off. There was the faint sound of small arms fire as there was a paintball tournament going on.

TFCA Jarrett Humphreys came by the PA booth at halftime. He wasn’t listed as the backup goalie today because of a broken hand/fingers (?). He said it would be his last year on the Academy team because of his age 19. There will be more, newer players coming in. He will either have to jump directly to the Toronto FC MLS team or find another CSL team while going to university. He agreed the best competition for this Academy is within the CSL league rather than the OSL or PDL (only three month season).

Ennio the PA announcer said to Humphreys that the TFCA team has tough competition with players such as the ‘men’ of the Serbian White Eagles team but that their TFCA team would never tire out because they are teenagers. How ironic that PFC ‘retired player’, new head coach Danny Amaral put himself in as a starter and played his best in the last ten minutes of this game.

In other news, we learned that PFC dreadlocked midfield general Ramon Bailey is currently in Colombia, South America trying out for a team(s) down there. Andre Stewart (aka “DooDoo”) was a defensive stalwart in the PFC defence.

Important point for both teams keeping them ahead of trailers North York Astros and LondonCity.

As usually happens after a TFCAcademy game, head coach Jason Bent keeps the players on the field for some post game drills. It must have seemed like punishment today unless they fled soon after because on my drive away from the site, another downpour started.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

Right you are Eric about the Serbian goalies. I clicked through the photos I took when the players line up for the anthem and it was Pelc as the starting goalie. I used the team lineups at the scorer's booth to get the starting lineup. I guess the team just to let their usual starting goalie to start this game too.

Archived