Stanley Park Stadium coming?

Calgary Boomer

I've always loved Brockton Oval...maybe the most picturesque setting ANYWHERE:

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=e7215457-dd17-4030-a639-333423556b8a

Note the reference to the Waterfront stadium. A lot of logistical issues there of course, but a pedestrian/bike/green idea could work.

I wonder if this would further muddy the waterfront stadium waters.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was a deliberate ploy to apply pressure over the Whitecaps Waterfront Stadium because I suspect there will be a green outcry over the prospect of any new construction in Stanley Park. Remember the hue and cry when a few trees needed to be taken down for renovation of the causeway?

Good god, I can hear the lefty wackos mobilizing now...

"How dare they build anything in Stanley Park! Don't they know there's homeless people sleeping here? And what about that certain element of our community cruising for anonymous liaisons in the bushes, where will they go?"

In all seriousness, it is indeed a beautiful location but completely unrealistic. As it is now, Stanley Park has neither the roads nor the parking to accommodate September tourists on a lukewarm day when nothing is happening. Took me nearly an hour to get around the park a couple weeks ago, and that was considered "good traffic flow." The only way to get 10 - 20,000 spectators in and out of there would be to rent out paddleboats and flippers from Canada Place.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

Will the Cricket be moved to surrey?

Nice!

Fully understood and agreed on the "green" and NIMBY reaction to this, and RIchard I hope you're right that maybe this is a delicious little ploy to help push things forward at the Waterfront.

But the interesting thing is that there was quite a stadium there before a fire in the 70's. In the same place where Johnnie drummed up those classic soccer photos, there are some neat shots of B.O. in full glory, hosting rugby, soccer, out-door lacrosse and track meets. The crowds were 10,000 +.

That was back in those wonderful years when nobody gave a rats about the earth.

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

Good god, I can hear the lefty wackos mobilizing now...

"How dare they build anything in Stanley Park! Don't they know there's homeless people sleeping here? And what about that certain element of our community cruising for anonymous liaisons in the bushes, where will they go?"

In all seriousness, it is indeed a beautiful location but completely unrealistic. As it is now, Stanley Park has neither the roads nor the parking to accommodate September tourists on a lukewarm day when nothing is happening. Took me nearly an hour to get around the park a couple weeks ago, and that was considered "good traffic flow." The only way to get 10 - 20,000 spectators in and out of there would be to rent out paddleboats and flippers from Canada Place.

They could move the cruisers out to Central Park, after we've gone.:D

But where will all the drug dealing refugees go?

[before the PC police show up to slap my wrists, note that Burnaby RCMP have spent the better part of the last 10 years rounding up illegal immigrants smuggled into the country for the express purpose of dealing drugs for Central American cartels. This has been well documented in the media. Crackdowns at Metrotown Skytrain drove the problem into the park, which, incidentally, is also one of the most active sites for sexual assault and indecent exposure in Metro Vancouver.]

Go Whitecaps!

Archived