de Guzman - the female version???

Bill Ault

If Valerio is good enough for the Portuguese how come she is not good enough for Birarda, if he ever bothered to watch her play or maybe Birarda considers himself above Portuguese soccer. The man doesn't even have an A license for whatever that is worth. His hanging to Pellerud's skirt is a bad influence.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Portugal and Chile are both ranked around the same area as Costa Rica.

Lets be honest here, this is the equivalent of a Canadian hockey player suiting up for Italy.

If Valerio is at that level then why do we have a whole thread dedicated to her?

06.04.2008: Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua MEXICO; Estadio Olímpico Benito Juarez (A: 22280)

CANADA – COSTA RICA 1:0 (1:0)

Melissa TANCREDI 15’

Countries like Costa Rica and Mexico are catching up fast, and I presume Portugal and Chile are similar. They play a different style entirely, and my guess is if Ms. Valerio is good enough to crack their squads, she would be good enough to be looked at and considered for ours, especially if we played latin possession.

I don't see any harm whatsoever. She wasn't offered here, and she's probably getting great coaching and a fantastic life experience. For someone who loves the game and lives to play it's a dream. It's also U20 and she doesn't have to declare as an adult. A change here and the doors open for her. Good for her for looking after her career instead of waiting for someone to do it for her. Lucky and smart are often the same thing.

Massive Attack - Italy's ranked 13th in the world in ice hockey so I'm not sure the comparison is entirely accurate but I understand what you're saying.

I think the point of the exercise - as obvious as it may be - was to point out that players will settle where they might. Doors of opportunity open and doors of opportunity close but in Canada IMO our governing bodies make a habit of not even showing them a path to the doors. Many of our good players are not given an opportunity to shine and even when they do they are ignored by our programs.

Here's a kid who as 18 year old played a little over 300 minutes for a club team loaded with senior internationals from a half dozen countries and trained with them on a regular basis and yet does not seem to exist in the eyes of our national teams program for whatever reason - if she is not good enough for Canada ( and how would we know? and how can we dismiss her without seeing her play?) I personally think her taking the chance to play internationally for someone else is a glorious opportunity that she would be silly to pass up.

As a player would you not jump at the chance to play against the likes of Norway and Italy wouldn't you? - (Valerio will miss the third game against the Ukraine due to exams at Princeton) . I'm sure she thought long and hard about the decision to play for another country and came up with one she thought worked well for her and her ambitions.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

06.04.2008: Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua MEXICO; Estadio Olímpico Benito Juarez (A: 22280)

CANADA – COSTA RICA 1:0 (1:0)

Melissa TANCREDI 15’

Countries like Costa Rica and Mexico are catching up fast, and I presume Portugal and Chile are similar. They play a different style entirely, and my guess is if Ms. Valerio is good enough to crack their squads, she would be good enough to be looked at and considered for ours, IF we played latin possession.

I don't see any harm whatsoever. She wasn't offered here, and she's probably getting great coaching and a fantastic life experience. For someone who loves the game and lives to play it's a dream. It's also U20 and she doesn't have to declare as an adult. A change here and the doors open for her. Good for her for looking after her career instead of waiting for someone to do it for her. Lucky and smart are often the same thing.

el correcto. The thing is that Birarda claims to play a 'passing' style. That may not be quite what Portugal plays but still she could have been given a look. I wonder if ever someone from abroad with a Canadian background has ever shown up to try out for our national teams and coaches.

I'm not faulting her at all for doing this. In fact, she has every right to and I wish her all the best.

I just think some people are over-playing the CSA are incompetent angle because of this news.

Players often get over-looked in sports. That happens. It isn't always a matter that requires a national inquiry.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I just think some people are over-playing the CSA are incompetent angle because of this news.

Agree completely this is probably not even in the top 50 list for CSA incompetencies (not even a word I know) list :D and certainly no reason for the dreaded Canadian bureaucratic solution to everything a - gasp - royal commission....

Speaking of lists can you imagine the Letterman Top Ten list for "You Know Canadian Soccer's Govenrning Bodies are Incompetent when..."

#10. They host the most well attended U20 World Cup in history and still lose millions....

#9. They are offered the opportunity to host the Women's Olympic Qualifying Tournament and give their country home field advantage AT NO COST and turn it down....

#8. This could be fun...

quote:Originally posted by Vic

I wonder if ever someone from abroad with a Canadian background has ever shown up to try out for our national teams and coaches.

Martina Franko was naturalized a few years ago...

And her 'Canadian' background is????? She was not good enough for the USA but is a big strong lady so she plays ahead of Cdn girls.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

And her 'Canadian' background is?????

She moved to Canada, she married a Canadian, she played in Canada for a Canadian team, and finally she became a Canadian.

It's curious that we attach so much more value to the decision of one's parents when it comes to nationality, than the decision made by the individual themselves.

I was born in Canada, not because of any choice I made, but because of a choice my father made. Still, that makes me 100% Canadian. But if my father had chosen the USA instead, and then *I* decided to move to Canada and become Canadian, I would be considered less than 100% Canadian. And apparently to some people, not good enough to represent this country. I think it is a rather strange way of looking at things.

quote:She was not good enough for the USA but is a big strong lady so she plays ahead of Cdn girls.

The point is moot. If she had played for the US, then she would be inelegible to play for Canada.

Daniela Fuenzalida has been looked at numerous times by the csa.. they say she is to skinny and is pushed off the ball to easily.. i played with her for years and she is very very skilled by she weighs about 90 pounds and is 5'9.. she has been looked at lots of times by lots of national team coaches.. and she is from saskatchewan which doesnt help her out much

quote:Originally posted by brandyca07

Daniela Fuenzalida has been looked at numerous times by the csa.. they say she is to skinny and is pushed off the ball to easily.. i played with her for years and she is very very skilled by she weighs about 90 pounds and is 5'9.. she has been looked at lots of times by lots of national team coaches.. and she is from saskatchewan which doesnt help her out much

That would be a foul, specially if she is skinny.

Archived