BMO Field Shows Profit

Bill Ault

I assume the young Yanks, Kiwis, and Aussies and older Scots/Englesi/Welsh/Jamaicans/Trinis will get raises then. Right on!

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I assume the young Yanks, Kiwis, and Aussies and older Scots/Englesi/Welsh/Jamaicans/Trinis will get raises then. Right on!

Your posting history on this topic suggests that you don't care, but...

MLSE doesn't pay the players. MLS does. BMO profits will likely go back into BMO and, well, be profits.

The city is required to put its profits from the stadium into a fund that cannot be touched for 20-years, except to use for repairs to the building.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

they should buy grass with that money....not the fun kind...the stuff you run on...

We can forget that ever happening, at least under the current ownership structure. The only way grass is put in is if the city divests itself from the stadium, selling it to private business. Even then, that private business would have to belive that putting grass in was in the best interest of its bottom line.

I'm not sure such an argument could be made.

And that's just what the stadium profited. I think that we can safely assume that MLSE made much much more in profits. Good thing they're re-investing some of that money into Canadian talent, otherwise I'd feel bad about my tax dollars going to support the profits of a multi-national!

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by RJB

And that's just what the stadium profited. I think that we can safely assume that MLSE made much much more in profits. Good thing they're re-investing some of that money into Canadian talent, otherwise I'd feel bad about my tax dollars going to support the profits of a multi-national!

There is a rather long list of those kinds of things.

A stadium the public uses would be very very very near the bottom.

For those that may not be aware, I go to BMO Field fairly regularly and there is almost always a local youth league using the pitch. It's a pretty good feeling to think that some of those tykes could possibly grow up and represent our country in the future. Before I used to be a bit up in arms about the use of public money for a sports venue, but I will guarantee that the facility is getting a lot of use by kids and grown-ups alike. It's getting our youth active and playing together and making a bit of cash for the city at the same time. Good times all around.

Archived