Final 20-man U23 Roster announced

jpg75

Straight from the horses mouth, here it is:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=3073

CANADA

1 - G - Asmir Begovic - Edmonton, AB - ENG / Portsmouth FC

2 - D - Graham Ramalho - Calgary, AB - NED / FC Groningen

3 - D - Jacob Lensky - Vancouver, BC - NED / Feyenoord Rotterdam

4 - D/M - Dejan Jakovic - Etobicoke, ON - USA / University of Alabama Birmingham

5 - D - André Hainault - Hudson, QC - CZE / Sparta Praha

6 - D - Nikolas Ledgerwood - Lethbridge, AB - GER / TSV 1860 München

7 - M - Andrzej Ornoch - Scarborough, ON - DEN / Esbjerg fB

8 - M - Ryan Gyaki - Calgary, AB - GER / FC Hansa Rostock

9 - F - Andrea Lombardo - Toronto, ON - CAN / Toronto FC

10 - M/F - Will Johnson - Woodbridge, IL - NED / De Graafschap

11 - F - Tosaint Ricketts - Edmonton, AB - USA / University of Wisconsin-Green Bay

12 - D - Diaz Kambere - Surrey, BC - CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

13 - M/F - Kyle Hall - Toronto, ON - USA / Syracuse University

14 - D - Tyler Hemming - London, ON - CAN / Toronto FC

15 - M - Tyler Rosenlund - Port Coquitlam, BC - Unattached

16 - M - Keegan Ayre - Coquitlam, BC - SCO / Berwick Rangers FC

17 - F/D - Marcus Haber - Vancouver, BC - NED / FC Groningen

18 - G - Joshua Wagenaar - Grimsby, ON - Unattached

19 - M/F - Isidro Sanchez-Macip - Puebla, Mexico - MEX / Puebla de Zaragoza

22 - G - David Monsalve - Brampton, ON - Unattached

Head Coach / Entraîneur-chef :#8200;Nick Dasovic - Burnaby, BC

Assistant Coach / Entraîneur adjoint :#8200;Tony Fonseca - Vancouver, BC

Assistant Coach / Entraîneur adjoint :#8200;Mark Watson - Vancouver, BC

Equipment mgr. & goalkeeper coach / Gérant d’équipements et ent. des gardiens :#8200;Kevin Muldoon - Oakville, ON

Doctor / Docteur :#8200;Dr. Michael Campbell - Abbotsford, BC

Athletic Therapist / Thérapeute athlétique :#8200;Dwayne Laing - Edmonton, AB

Manager / Gérant :#8200;Dave Nutt - Ottawa, ON

Highlights of the call:

- Will Johnson helped to secure his release by speaking/pleading with the club. He arrived on the 9th.

- Keegan refused twice, claiming injuries. Nick is very disappointed as Edgar has not dressed for the last 5 games.

- Steven Vitoria was approached and sounded receptive, but he has already turned 21 and is stuck as a Portuguese.

Mods: can we merge the 2 threads?

From KW Record

Local sports: The needs of struggling Newcastle leave Edgar unavailable to Canada

March 11, 2008

By JOSH BROWN

RECORD STAFF

Posted 4:40 p.m.

Newcastle United needs David Edgar more than Canada’s Olympic soccer team.

At least that’s the message coming from northeast England, as the professional club battles to avoid relegation from the Premiership.

Today, the Canadian Soccer Association announced its roster that will battle for a berth in this summer’s Olympics, and Edgar, a Kitchener native, didn’t make the cut.

“It’s too bad because he would have definitely been a huge part of this team,” said Canadian Under-23 head coach Nick Dasovic. “David is a player that is involved with a Premiership club in England, so I was trying to get him very hard.”

But the Magpies are struggling mightily this season and are just three points away from being relegated to the Championship. And that has left skipper Kevin Keegan skeptical about loaning out one of his prized defensive prospects.

“Obviously I wanted to go but circumstances here ... they can’t let me go at the minute because I might be needed,” Edgar said when reached in England. “It’s disappointing that I can’t go but right now I’ve got to focus on Newcastle as well.”

Dasovic tried repeatedly to get the centre back to play in the eight-team Olympic qualifier, which begins today in Carson, California. Canada is in a pool with Mexico, Haiti and Guatemala. Panama, Honduras, Cuba and the United States make up the other. The top two teams after round robin play move on to the semi-finals later this month and the finalists are Beijing-bound.

Canada’s men’s team last qualified for the Olympics in 1984. Dasovic sent two requests to Newcastle and even tried to work out a deal where Edgar could fly in for some games and return to suit up for pro club if needed, but had no luck.

“I understand club situations, I played in Europe, I played in North America,” Dasovic said. “I know both logistics, but again, it doesn’t really make a lot of sense to me.”

Edgar captains Newcastle’s reserve squad and has been stellar all season. But he has yet to make his mark with the first team, even though the club has been mired with injuries and hasn’t won a Premier game since mid-December.

“It is difficult not being on the first team,” said Edgar. “Really for the last four or five reserve games I’ve been playing some of the best football I’ve played since I got my chance with the first team last season.”

The 20-year-old had a meeting with Keegan about a week and a half ago to talk about his future with the club. According to Edgar, the manager was supportive and wants to see the youngster in action but is reluctant to slip him in the lineup at the moment since Newcastle is under immense pressure to avoid relegation.

“It’s not a very good mood around the city right now,” said Edgar. “It’s a confidence issue at the minute. We haven’t been playing that bad lately but as soon as one goal goes in, then our heads go down. But everyone is confident that we’re going to be safe.”

Edgar plans to finish out the schedule with Newcastle and then return home to rest during the off-season. “I have to hope the boys do well out there and qualify and then hopefully I can do enough to get on the team for the actual Olympics,” he said.

jbrown@therecord.com

Only 2 true forwards in Ricketts and Lombardo, with one of them - Lombardo -not know for scoring goals (in my opinion, at least). So I will echo a concern other has raised in that goal scoring could be a problem.

Also, I didn't know Lensky was a defender! For some reason I thought he played in midfield.

finally, Keegan's an idiot. If he is reluctant to play Edgar because newcastle are under "pressure" right now, then Edgar will never get a chance this season b/c newcastle was ALWAYS be under pressure! they suck!!

Archived