FIFA WORLD RANKINGS

Forza_Italia

Now that CONMEBOL qualifying is about to begin, it'll be interesting to see if these rankings resemble something close to reality a couple of months from now.

Right now the rankings are batsh*t crazy! At least Serbia aren't in the top 20 anymore. That's the only good thing I can say about it.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

After the top 25, I think these rankings are pure crap.

you could throw the teams ranked 26-60 in a hat and they are all more or less the same quality. Any of those teams could be beat any of the others in that group on any given day.

Yeah, total crap! I have a tough time believing that about 30 UEFA nations and another dozen or so African ones all deserve to be ranked ahead of Ecuador. [:o)]

It looks like the formula puts too much emphasis on what a nation did in the last 12 months.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Jamit

But how does that make the rankings crap?

Agreed, the same thing happens in tennis. The top two or three or four will rarely fall to anyone below 8th, but from 10th to 60th anything is possible.

Rankings are just for fun anyways, what really matters is how they rank in regions for qualifying purposes. Just once I want Spain to get a real bitch of a qualifying group and Canada, well how about the exact same semis we had last time? In the same order. Bring em on.

Placing Argentina ahead of Brazil after the pasting the albicelestes received in the latest Copa America final is ludicrous. Argentina arrived with almost their entire "A" squad while Brazil's lineup was 50% experimental. Although Argentina looked great throughout the tournament, they were brought to their knees by the Samba boys when it mattered . . . again.

I'm a Canadian currently residing in the southern cone of South America where we are saturated by soccer and soccer coverage. Having seen dozens of games between Argentina and Brazil over the past decade, it is simply silly to place Argentina ahead of Brazil in any ranking. That includes this year even though the albicelestes do have an exciting, young nucleus from which to build. (Tevez, Messi, etc.)

FIFA rankings will always be a crapshoot due to unbalanced schedules and wildly different competition levels from region to region. Not to mention the fact that many countries use smaller tournaments and most "friendlies" as practice sessions to test upcoming talent or new configurations. Why FIFA includes anything but the official major tournaments in the rankings is beyond me. (And even they are often trial sessions for many clubs, witness the deplorable U.S. B-squad in the same Copa America.)

As most posters agree, we take the ratings with a grain of salt.

Archived