What's on GOLTV Extra Time this week

thepatriot

FYI.....

Toronto FC gets ready to kick off the 2007 season - Lee Godfrey talks to Head Coach Mo Johnston

Bob Lenarduzzi gives us an update on the new soccer stadium in Vancouver, BC

Godfrey spends some 'extra time' with Toronto FC's first overall pick in the 2007 MLS Superdraft, Maurice Edu

Top 10 saves of the week – you don't want to miss this!

Watch Extra Time Fridays only on GOLTV!

Hmm here's a recap for those who missed it:

Mo sorta pleased with beating his former club (Red Bulls) in the Battery Tournament,

and was looking forward to the next game (Charleston) and having a chance to win it all.

Lenarduzzi facing some opposition to the stadium development, but confident it will work ...

A comment on the U20's preparation against Scotland, as well as noting Simoes as the next

MNT coach. Paul James however says he would have chosen Dale Mitchell since he knows the

players and CONCACAF.

And a short interview with Edu, who was cheering for UCLA in the March Madness Tournament.

There you go.

Hmm here's a recap for those who missed it:

Mo sorta pleased with beating his former club (Red Bulls) in the Battery Tournament,

and was looking forward to the next game (Charleston) and having a chance to win it all.

Lenarduzzi facing some opposition to the stadium development, but confident it will work ...

A comment on the U20's preparation against Scotland, as well as noting Simoes as the next

MNT coach. Paul James however says he would have chosen Dale Mitchell since he knows the

players and CONCACAF.

And a short interview with Edu, who was cheering for UCLA in the March Madness Tournament.

There you go.

Am i the only person who thinks "knowing the players" is a ridiculous comment to make as a factor in hiring a national team manager. I would think its only relevant if you were in the midst of World Cup Qualifying and needed to make a quick switch. Otherwise, any new manager should spend the first number of months evaluating the players through watching their club sides and holding a few camps/friendlies.

If "knowing the players" was a pre-requisite, you would assume every country would simply hire from within. And as we know, there have been a number of successful foreign coaches who have been mercenaries around the world. They certainly did not "know the players" before they came on board.

As for knowing the Concacaf and the latin mentality, I would expect that Simoes would know that better than anyone in Canada. Not saying he is necessaryily the right guy, but James comments just go to show how much a crap manager he is.

This isn't the first time James has said stuff that is irrelevant. Honestly I don't really understand why he's on the score because his analysis is sub-par.

I think that hiring that new guy would be a great idea we need to start playing in the mindset vs concacaf teams not england footie

Yes it is a ridiculous comment. It may in fact be a limiting factor if it means the coach is less willing to look a new players that haven't been part of the system. Getting a coach from the outside wipes the slate clean. Getting a quality coach from outside will see what those on the inside may not see.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

Am i the only person who thinks "knowing the players" is a ridiculous comment to make as a factor in hiring a national team manager. I would think its only relevant if you were in the midst of World Cup Qualifying and needed to make a quick switch. Otherwise, any new manager should spend the first number of months evaluating the players through watching their club sides and holding a few camps/friendlies.

If "knowing the players" was a pre-requisite, you would assume every country would simply hire from within. And as we know, there have been a number of successful foreign coaches who have been mercenaries around the world. They certainly did not "know the players" before they came on board.

As for knowing the Concacaf and the latin mentality, I would expect that Simoes would know that better than anyone in Canada. Not saying he is necessaryily the right guy, but James comments just go to show how much a crap manager he is.

Archived