MLS State of the League address at Copa MLS

Elias

You can watch press conference at http://www.mlsnet.com

Discussion at http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=435467

Yes, "Copa MLS". Reminds me of dorks who try just too hard to impress chicks, and just make themselves look like fools. I think if I was Latino/Hispanic (whatever the PC term is) I'd be offended.

- Toronto goes to East Conference.

- Schedule = 30 games (down from 32). Garber said 4 games against each division opponent, and the rest of the games against other conference. But that doesn't work.

- Playoffs - same format as this year. Except, top 2 in each division, then best 4. Didn't clarify, but he said, "a team in East could win the West". So I guess something like CFL where teams could crossover.

- youth academies will be set-up and teams will have rights to their own players. Didn't actually announce any definite plans.

- expansion - mentioned Atlanta, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Philadelphia, Rochester, San Diego, San Jose, St Louis, Seattle, 2nd NY team. Nothing interesting. No Vancouver but this list is supposed to take the league to 16 teams by 2010. TFC has Canadian rights until then anyway.

- he said no single-table, no split-seasons, and no stopping schedule for tournaments. Did mention 2007 will be busy with Gold Cup and Copa America, I think he sort of said there will be less games played during the tournaments. Again, didn't exactly go into details.

- he also said that supposedly people from 33 different US states have bought tickets to Copa MLS. That's impressive, if it's really true.

- MLS vs. MexFL competition. Details will be announced on Sunday. Said teams will qualify based on regular season games. Said it will be a real competition, not just friendlies, and they hope it expands in the future with more teams and games. Didn't say more countries.

- I don't think he said anything about increasing salary cap, although he did mumble something about bringing quality international players to increase talent or some such hot air

Where do you get this "Copa" MLS from? I've never heard anyone not speaking spanish use the word copa when referring to the game. You do know that copa is spanish for cup right? Nothing more, nothing less.

As for details about the new youth system look at the MLS press release here: http://www.soccer365.com/US_NEWS/Breaking_News/page_131_130778.shtml

Regarding the playoffs, MLS had a similar system in place during the 2001 season when both finalists were from the Western Conference (LA & SJ).

- No single-table is pretty lame IMO.

- Haven't heard "Copa"

- Hate this US-Mex competition

- 30 games brings it closer to USL-1 (28 games)

Generally speaking, this and the news that USL is considering bringing back the "shoot-out" isn't anything good for the game in NA/Canada.

quote:Originally posted by The Watcher

Where do you get this "Copa" MLS from? I've never heard anyone not speaking spanish use the word copa when referring to the game. You do know that copa is spanish for cup right? Nothing more, nothing less.

The only reference I saw to "Copa MLS" is in the official logo of this year's game, which can be seen on the backdrop during the press conference.

There are two identical logos, one saying "MLS Cup" and the other saying "Copa MLS". Given that this year's gamwe is in Texas, I see no problem with a bilingual logo. It's the same thing as the Stanley Cup/Coupe Stanley logos we've seen in the NHL.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

... and Copa America?

He mentioned the Gold Cup specifically, most likely because the GC is now run by MLS' marketing arm Soccer United Management.

He Did bring up the Copa America earlier in his speech though, IIRC.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

- Schedule = 30 games (down from 32). Garber said 4 games against each division opponent, and the rest of the games against other conference. But that doesn't work.

It took them a whole day to flip-flop on the schedule (though I think they made the right final decision):

Each club will play each other team twice (home and away) for 24 games per team.

- The remaining six games are played between teams from the same conference. (3 home and 3 away)

- For the Western Conference, one extra intra-conference game is played, with preference given to rivalries.

And oh yeah, the Beckham rule is in.

Details: http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_events_news.jsp?ymd=20061111&content_id=78396&vkey=mlscuppr2006&fext=.jsp

Archived