Croatia threatened with EURO ban for racism

Grizzly

I have to say I am quite sceptical that UEFA would actually have the balls to carry this out.

UEFA have warned Croatia they could be excluded from Euro 2008 if their fans continue to flout the game's anti-racism rules.

William Gaillard, the head of communications for European football's governing body, issued the warning to Croatian fans ahead of Wednesday's Euro 2008 qualifier against England, reminding them repeat offenders face serious punishment for any form of racial abuse.

Gaillard said: 'We have had serious incidents of racism with Croatian fans in the past so we can impose heavier sanctions if it happens again which ultimately could be exclusion from the competition.

'There are new rules which can lead to exclusion from a competition and docking points in extreme cases. We will monitor events closely.

'Ourselves and FIFA have imposed sanctions and the sanctions will be heavier in the future.'

FIFA has charged the Croatian Football Federation with bringing the game into disrepute after fans formed a human swastika on the terraces two months ago during a friendly international in Italy in Livorno.

Croatia were fined during Euro 2004 over racist banners flown at a game against France.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I'd say the incidents had much more to do with the fact the game was in Livorno than anything else.

But if a city's communist past and left wing ultras are enough to inspire right wing Croatian ultras to form a human swastika I tend to think they might not be any more enamored with or respectful of Israeli Jews.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

But if a city's communist past and left wing ultras are enough to inspire right wing Croatian ultras to form a human swastika I tend to think they might not be any more enamored with or respectful of Israeli Jews.

I agree it won't be pretty, but I feel it was a pissing contest where far-right ultras wanted to "measure up" to the most famous left-wing ultras.

I find it extremely ironic that the English media goes on about racism amongst Eastern European Soccer fans, considering the same media yaps on and on about 'ASylum Seekers threatening English life' and 'Libraries turned into Mosques'.

It's like being lectured on war by Fox News.

This was not true. UEFA did not threat Croatia. This so called news was served by English media as a part of onslaught launched before the game. Comments given by Gaillard are stated after query from the media and most of them are just annotations taken from UEFA statute.

I've read some reports after the game and it's been confirmed by UEFA, Croatian Football Federation and some English journalists that threat or warning of any kind has not been made. Simply, words misused and made into something else. Nothing new when it comes to English soccer media.

If the threat of sanctions against Croatia is a fantasy of the English media than shame on UEFA for not taking action. Shame on you voice of treason for supporting Croatian neo-Nazis and shame on you Designol for codemning the English media with your typical bias without condemning these Croatian fans. A picture from the Croatia-Italy match:

Italy%20-%20Croatia%20Human%20Swastika%2010876_17082006032135%5B1%5D.jpg

Where did you get the idea that I support neo-nazis? I’ve read my post few times over and believe me I can’t see it. I don’t support Nazism and I am condemning what happened on that game. Now when we sorted that out let me explain again what I was talking about.

I was talking about English media, and in particular shady newspaper “The Sun”. It’s quite common whenever England plays on the continent these stories start to circulate. Poor English, everybody hates them, racist remarks towards their black players and so on. Every single time. Most of this news is on the borderline of being false. What they did in this particular instance is they dig through old news, find something bad about their opponent, pick up the phone, talk to this uefa person, take his words completely out of context and serve us news as if uefa had come ahead and make a statement. Good old formula works every time. All he said is absolutely true, but that’s all within procedure and all those penalties apply to all football organizations, including Croatian. Perfectly fine. Unfortunately stories like that go out there and get picked up by naive readers.

Croatian media is not powerful enough and too naive to play these games. English can eat them for breakfast.

How do you know Croatian Football Federation wasn’t fined? Maybe you should research that before going ahead and make bold statements.

I have a feeling you haven’t watch this game let alone read and know every story (from various sources mind you) prior to this event.

I don’t see a point of continuing this conversation when we are talking about two completely different things. You are talking about this blood thirsty Croatians who are just looking for reason to attack others. Resurrection of Nazism where another holocaust is days away. And I am talking about media steering people’s minds into directions they want to benefit their cause.

If you don’t know all details please don’t rant.

The offensive thing about this situation is the human swastika not the conduct of the English media. If the English media lied about UEFA threatening to take the type of action that UEFA (if they were a body of repute and not a den of corruption) should be taking in this situation they certainly did not lie about the fact that a fairly large number of Croatian fans formed a human swastika. Even in your second post you are far more upset about the behaviour of the English media than that of the Croatian fans and seem to think that the media has performed some sort of injustice against Croatia. Just once I would like to see someone from an ethnic group condemn unequivically such actions by a group of their fans or players instead of the usual excuses, blaming others and downplaying the incident. The Italians defending Lazio fans and DiCanio's fascist salute was similar. If I saw a thread about Canadian fans behaving in a racist manner my first reaction would be to condemn the racist behaviour not the media coverage of it. If the Croatian fans don't behave in a racist manner in the first place the English media will not be able to criticize them about this.

• 3 weeks later...

If the threat of sanctions against Croatia is a fantasy of the English media than shame on UEFA for not taking action. Shame on you voice of treason for supporting Croatian neo-Nazis and shame on you Designol for codemning the English media with your typical bias without condemning these Croatian fans. A picture from the Croatia-Italy match:

Italy%20-%20Croatia%20Human%20Swastika%2010876_17082006032135%5B1%5D.jpg

I don't justify what the Croatians did. I'm simply underlying the Irony of the English media when they talk about racism whenever they've used the same vitriol towards Muslims.

quote:Originally posted by Desigol

I don't justify what the Croatians did. I'm simply underlying the Irony of the English media when they talk about racism whenever they've used the same vitriol towards Muslims.

It is like the same type of irony when a poster here who is constantly anti-English criticizes the English for being anti someone else.

It is like the same type of irony when a poster here who is constantly anti-English criticizes the English for being anti someone else.

Most of what I've said about the English is mere Rivalry speak (ie. giving United/Chelsea/Spurs fans grief). I've visited England before, and had a great time. I do support an Irish Team (Derry City) so don't accuse me of being a typical glory hunter.

I believe that the time has come for UEFA and FIFA to get together and stop this problem. It is happening far too often, and they need to make it clear to the world that this is unacceptable. I really hope that they start coming down with some large sanctions against these countries and clubs.

Archived