Jamaica Observer: Better Boyz !

Winnipeg Fury

After being eliminated from the Gold Cup, Jamaica is going all-out for the victory. I must find somewhere to watch this match:

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Better Boyz!

Overseas-based players strengthen squad for Canada game

BY ANDREW HANCEL Observer staff reporter

Following their shock first-round exit from the Digicel Caribbean Cup, Jamaica's interim head coach Carl Brown is confident his players will turn things around in a return-leg friendly against Canada at the National Stadium on Sunday.

Brown was speaking yesterday at the team's first training session at Boys' Town Sport Complex after the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) had earlier named a 25-man squad for the contest.

Overseas-based players Claude Davis, Omar Daley and Khari Stephenson were at Collie Smith Drive yesterday, where an upbeat Brown said it was just a matter of fine-tuning and identifying the starting 11 for Sunday's game.

'We expect them (Canada) to be stronger than the last time when we last played them, but. we should also have a stronger squad, and particularly. our attack. will be much stronger than the last couple of games. so I expect a good result from this game,' Brown said.

Jamaica's squad has been significantly strengthened with the inclusion of 11 foreign-based players, after the mostly local-based squad finished behind Haiti and St Vincent and the Grenadines in Group D of the regional competition.

With the inclusion of experienced strikers Ricardo Fuller, Luton Shelton and Teafore Bennett, plus midfielder Jermaine Hue coming in, Brown will definitely have a better and more balanced squad.

Davis and Damion Stewart are expected to keep things tight in defence.

All the overseas players are heavily involved in their respective leagues and with this in mind, it should not be a difficult task preparing the Reggae Boyz, who will be hoping to exact revenge on the North Americans, having lost 1-0 in Montreal on September 4.

'No I don't believe that it would be difficult. As I said, most of the players we know here, it's really not new players. it's just about fitting them, look what we have and how quickly they settle down, and hopefully by Thursday we'll know exactly the team we want to play on Sunday,' said Brown.

According to Brown, he is not feeling any pressure, but the players will certainly want to lift the moral of the country's football with a solid victory against the Canadians.

Meanwhile, Brown told the Observer that regular captain and goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts, along with Jermaine Johnson, would be unavailable.

Copyright© 2000-2001 Jamaica Observer

* This artice has been viewed 35 times.

Canadians arrive today for Boyz encounter

Observer Reporter

Friday, October 06, 2006

The Canadian soccer team will arrive at the Norman Manley International Airport this afternoon at 2 o'clock for Sunday's return-leg international friendly against the Reggae Boyz.

Yesterday, Canada's head coach Stephen Hart, further strengthened his squad with the inclusion of midfielder Martin Nash, having named a strong 16-man squad on Monday.

Three hours after touching down, Hart's men will go into their first training session at the Harbour View Mini Stadium, while at 11:00 am tomorrow inside the National Stadium, they will stage their second training session.

The Canadians hold the advantage, following the first game of their home and away series, after clipping the Boyz 1-0 at the Complexe sportif Claude-Robillard in Montreal on September 4.

Hart has drafted four newcomers, including Nash, into his 17-man squad that faced the Reggae Boyz in Montreal.

Along with Nash, Atiba Hutchinson, Ali Gerba and Martin Klukowski have all been given the nod ahead of Chris Pozniak, Iain Hume, Jim Brennan and Oliver Occean, who were on roster for the first leg.

Hart's team is expected to be led by experience players in the likes of striker Tomasz Radzinski and Rob Friend, who scored against the Jamaicans in the first leg.

Their midfield is said to be stronger as well, with a holding midfield Hutchinson in the line-up, while goalkeeper Greg Sutton, who had a superb game especially in the second half against the Boyz, is expected to start in goal.

"Playing in Jamaica will obviously be very different from recent games we have played. The climate must be considered and at home Jamaica, with their passionate supporters, has proven difficult for most opposition. However, it's a challenge I am sure the team looks forward too," Hart was quoted as saying on the website of the Canadian Soccer Association.

Squad - Greg Sutton, Adam Braz, Kevin McKenna, Marco Reda, Patrice Bernier, Paul Stalteri, Julian de Guzman, Tomasz Radzinski, Rob Friend, Mike Klukowski, Gabriel Gervais, Atiba Hutchinson, Josh Simpson, Sandro Grande, Ali Gerba, Kenny Stamatopoulos, Martin Nash.

Staff: Rob Newman, head of delegation; Stephen Hart, head coach; Tony Fonseca, assistant coach; Paul Dolan, goalkeeper coach; Morgan Quarry, manager; Ted Tilbury and Garo Demerdjian, physiotherapists; Mike Moretto, equipment manager.

Jamaica Gleaner:

Reggae Boyz get financial boost from JMMB

published: Friday | October 6, 2006

Kwesi Mugisa, Staff Reporter

THE REGGAE Boyz received a boost ahead of their friendly international against Canada in two days' time thanks to a timely sponsorship from Jamaica Money Market Brokers (JMMB).

The $800,000 sponsorship package will cover the Canada game on Sunday, and the friendly against Peru on November 15 and was appreciatively received by interim national coach Carl Brown and members of the Jamaican team at the Jamaica Football Federation headquarters in New Kingston yesterday.

"On behalf of the players and coaching staff, I would like to thank the JMMB," Brown said.

"A lot is demanded from players, coaches and the federation and some times the best of plans cannot really be put in effect because of a lack of financial support,"he said.

Need public support

"We really need the public to get out and support this team. Like them, we are all disappointed that we did not make it to the next stage of the Digicel Cup but we really need their support," he said.

This is the second time that the JMMB will be supporting the Reggae Boyz as they were also one of the sponsors when the team made it to the World Cup in 1998.

While pledging the company's continued support to local football, JMMB marketing manager Marguerite Cremin stated that it was important to support the sport in the good times and the bad ones.

"I know the players have gone through a terrible disappointment, but I was there when we won the Digicel Caribbean Cup in Barbados and I was never prouder." Cremin said.

"We know the team has the talent and we are proud to come on board, especially in their talented times. Now is the time to take the lessons learnt and move forward," she said.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Along with Nash, Atiba Hutchinson, Ali Gerba and Martin Klukowski have all been given the nod ahead of Chris Pozniak, Iain Hume, Jim Brennan and Oliver Occean, who were on roster for the first leg.

I'd be jumping all over that one if we didn't so often see as bad or worse in our Canadian media.

Archived