Belgium 4 Czech republic 2

Austria 1 Poland 0

Group B</u>

Spain 5 Turkey 3

Scotland 2 Portugal 2

No scoring drought at this tournament!!

Remember top 3 in each group qualifies for Canada 2007

Guest Jeffery S.

Report from the Spain game, where Juanma Mata, from Real Madrid, scored 4, the other from Barça defender Marc Valiente, who I think is going to the pre-season camp with the first team to Denmark.

Note the attendance for a Spain-Turkey in Poland when their own team was playing the same night: 2500 spectators.

http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/futbol/seleccion/es/desarrollo/672371.html

quote:Originally posted by Elias

http://www.rsssf.com/tabless/sa-u20-07.html

South America tournament is January 7-28, 2007 in Paraguay. Top 3 make it to the U20 WC, at least according to that link.

Africa - http://www.rsssf.com/tablesa/afr-u20-07.html

Asia - http://www.rsssf.com/tablesa/as-u20-06.html

CONCACAF preliminaries under way right now(smaller Island nations) with the final qualifying tournament in Mexico and Panama in January/February.

It's pretty late for qualification

Or, no, not for qualification but to know the participating teams, and take the drawing (or draw, I never know the good word)

Would hope to know which teams would play in which cities by the beginning of 2007

UEFA final round scores from 2nd Group B games:

Group B

Spain 4 Scotland 0

Portugal 4 Turkey

Couldn't find Group A results yet.

This means Spain is will be coming to Canada. Portugal are almost there. If Portugal can avoid losing my more than 4 goals in their last game to Spain on Sunday, they will qualify as well. And Scotland needs a win in the last game against Turkey to qualify as well.

Let's go Scotland! I don't have an ounce of Scotch blood in me, but I've got a real affection for the Scottish. And, since we will have to draw a European side, it might be nice NOT to have to face Spain. Mind you, the European sides will be tough no matter who we face.

After two rounds of matches, Spain had already qualified for Canada 2007, but none of the remaining 5 spots were claimed and all of the other 7 teams were still in contention for them. It came down to the last set of group games on Sunday, July 23:

GROUP A

July 23
Czech Republic 2-0 Poland
Austria 4-1 Belgium

Czech Republic 2-0-1 7-5 6 QUALIFY FOR CANADA 2007
Austria 2-0-1 6-4 6 QUALIFY FOR CANADA 2007
Poland 1-0-2 4-4 3 QUALIFY FOR CANADA 2007
Belgium 1-0-2 6-10 3[/code] [b]GROUP B[/b]
[code]July 23
Portugal 1-1 Spain
Turkey 2-3 Scotland

Spain 2-1-0 10-4 7 QUALIFY FOR CANADA 2007
Scotland 1-1-1 5-8 4 QUALIFY FOR CANADA 2007
Portugal 0-3-0 7-7 3 QUALIFY FOR CANADA 2007
Turkey 0-1-2 9-12 1
SEMIFINALS OF 2005-2006 UEFA U19 CHAMPIONSHIP
July 26
Czech Republic - Scotland
Spain - Austria[/code]

After two rounds of matches, Spain had already qualified for Canada 2007, but none of the remaining 5 spots were claimed and all of the other 7 teams were still in contention for them. It came down to the last set of group games on Sunday, July 23:

GROUP A

July 23
Austria 4-1 Belgium

Czech Republic 2-0-1 7-5 6 QUALIFY FOR CANADA 2007
Austria 2-0-1 6-4 6 QUALIFY FOR CANADA 2007
Poland 1-0-2 4-4 3 QUALIFY FOR CANADA 2007
Belgium 1-0-2 6-10 3[/code] [b]GROUP B[/b]
[code]July 23
Portugal 1-1 Spain
Turkey 2-3 Scotland

Spain 2-1-0 10-4 7 QUALIFY FOR CANADA 2007
Scotland 1-1-1 5-8 4 QUALIFY FOR CANADA 2007
Portugal 0-3-0 7-7 3 QUALIFY FOR CANADA 2007
Turkey 0-1-2 9-12 1
July 26
Czech Republic - Scotland
Spain - Austria[/code]

quote:Originally posted by DJT

GROUP A

July 23

Austria 4-1 Belgium

Czech Republic	2-0-1   7-5   6   QUALIFY FOR CANADA 2007

Austria	        2-0-1   6-4   6   QUALIFY FOR CANADA 2007

Poland          1-0-2   4-4   3   QUALIFY FOR CANADA 2007

Belgium         1-0-2   6-10  3
GROUP B
July 23

Portugal 1-1 Spain

Turkey  2-3 Scotland

Spain	        2-1-0  10-4   7   QUALIFY FOR CANADA 2007

Scotland	1-1-1   5-8   4   QUALIFY FOR CANADA 2007

Portugal        0-3-0   7-7   3   QUALIFY FOR CANADA 2007

Turkey          0-1-2   9-12  1
July 26

Czech Republic  -  Scotland

Spain  -  Austria

Semi-final results July 26:

Scotland 1 Czech republic 0

Spain 5 Austria 0

Good for the young Scots for reaching the final. I hope they get to play in Montreal next summer as I would love to see them!

Guest Jeffery S.

Spain won the European u-19 championship 2-1, Scotland got their goal too late and could not get close to extra time. But a better showing on their part after being hit for 4 goals in the group stage.

Spain is not a draw for Spanish fans outside the country, except in Europe. That is because the Spanish presence in a place like Canada is divided regionally, especially Catalans, Basques and Gallegos, who may not necessarily show up to see Spain play, especially the first two groups. In any case, Spain is a draw for anyone interested in quality play, apart from national alliances.

Scotland is another question altogether, a good draw for Scots and their descendants in Canada.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Spain won the European u-19 championship 2-1, Scotland got their goal too late and could not get close to extra time. But a better showing on their part after being hit for 4 goals in the group stage.

Spain is not a draw for Spanish fans outside the country, except in Europe. That is because the Spanish presence in a place like Canada is divided regionally, especially Catalans, Basques and Gallegos, who may not necessarily show up to see Spain play, especially the first two groups. In any case, Spain is a draw for anyone interested in quality play, apart from national alliances.

Scotland is another question altogether, a good draw for Scots and their descendants in Canada.

Scotland doesn't draw well in their own country. They do slightly better in places like Kilmarnock and Inverness but overall draw no more than 1,000/game.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Scotland doesn't draw well in their own country. They do slightly better in places like Kilmarnock and Inverness but overall draw no more than 1,000/game.

In the qualifying stages, Scotland's home crowds ranged from a low of 1,499 to a high of around 5,900.....I am not sure how this compares to other European countries (Italy was in Scotland's group and the match they played in Italy drew 4,300).

I think most European youth/u-20 teams would draw bigger crowds here than they would "at home" where their matches compete with senior professional matches.

I don't think Scotland would be any different!

Archived