USL D1 - May 21 - Portland vs Toronto [R]

DJT

LYNX SCORE!!! LYNX SCORE!!! 90th minute! Neto! LYNX SCORE!!!

Final:

Portland 2 Toronto 1

52' POR Luke Kreamalmeyer

61' POR Oral Bullen

90' TOR Osni Neto

I really thought the Lynx would score tonight (not enough to take Franky's wager, mind you [:P]), but as injury time approached I had already began writing this post with an expression of amazement at five consecutive 2-0 losses. I guess I jinxed it, in a good way. Now with that monkey off their back, a point is next! :)

Hmm, I just noticed that on the USL site Neto is labelled as "player is not yet league-approved". I hope they just forgot to update that. [B)]

You have to feel bad for the Lynx because despite the valid criticisms of how the Hartrells have run the team, it seems like they made a genuine effort (whether spurred by Toronto MLS or not) to field a decent team this year but so far it has not resulted in any success.

USL match report

Timbers match report

Article from The Oregonian

Lynx match report:

Lynx Fall to Timbers

Date: May 21, 2006

Venue: PGE Park, Portland, Oregon

Attendance: 3 369

Kick Off Time: 9:00 PM EST

Final Score: Toronto 1 Portland 2

Match Summary:

The Toronto Lynx dropped a 2-1 result away to the Portland Timbers this evening at PGE Park. Brazilian midfielder Osni Neto found the back of the net in injury time to give Toronto their first goal of 2006's campaign.

Toronto applied continued pressure to Portland's goal throughout the first half, registering 5 shots and forcing Timbers goalkeeper Josh Saunders to make 4 saves. Newly acquired former Trinidad and Tobago international goalkeeper Richard Goddard made 2 stops for the Lynx in the first 45 minutes of play. It was 0-0 as both teams headed to the locker rooms at the half.

Portland opened scoring seven minutes into the second half. Midfielder Luke Kreamalmeyer connected with Oral Bullen's pass and beat Lynx 'keeper Goddard with his strike.

Portland doubled their lead nine minutes later. Bullen was involved again but this time playing the role of finisher and not provider. He connected with Mamba Chisoni's pass and put his effort past Goddard to give Portland a 2-0 lead with half an hour to play.

Portland held out for much of the half but their defence was breached by second half substitute Osni Neto. The Brazilian's solo effort in injury time earned Toronto their first goal this season and reduced Toronto's deficit to one. Time ran out before Toronto could find an equaliser and it was 2-1 to Portland at the final whistle.

Tonight's result leaves Toronto in 12th place of the USL First Division with a record of 0-5-0.

Toronto's next match is Friday May 26th when they host Miami FC at Centennial Park Stadium for the Lynx' annual School Day. The match gets underway at 11:00 AM.

Final Score: Toronto 1 Portland 2

Lineups:

Toronto: Goddard, Menezes, Diplacido (Neto 54), Williams (Shepherd 61), Titus, Mattacchione, Arango, Dodds, Dekker (Baxter 65), Bedenikovic, Aristedemo (Chin 65)

Portland: Saunders, Chisoni (Poltl 76), Alvarez (Bullen 51), Thompson, Randolph (Marcum 84), Nsien, Goodfellow, Morrison, Kreamalmeyer, Gutierrez-Mendez (McAthy 45), Alcaraz-Cuellar

Cautions:

Toronto: Diplacido 29, Williams 59, Bedenikovic 84 Portland: Goodfellow 54, Thompson 57

Ejections:

None

Shots: Toronto 8 , Portland 13

Saves: Toronto 4, Portland 6

Fouls: Toronto 19, Portland 12

Scorers:

Toronto: Neto (unassisted)

Portland: Kreamalmeyer (Bullen 52), Bullen (Chisoni 61)

The Toronto Lynx' next game is at home against Miami FC on Friday May 26th at 11:00 AM.

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:

ROB IRWIN, MEDIA RELATIONS

416-251-4625 ext. 23

By the way, I wanted to apologize to any of the Toronto players or coaches who might have been offended by the fact that the national anthem singer at PGE Park apparently did not know the words to O Canada (or forgot to bring her lyric sheet) and after singing a few words wrong and seeming completely lost gave up about halfway through then went on to sing the Star Spangled Banner.

That's the first time I've heard the Canadian anthem screwed up in the six years of the Timbers but they should definitely issue an apology to the team because that's not acceptable.

I just wanted you to know that we did notice it and it should never have happened.

quote:Originally posted by Allison A

By the way, I wanted to apologize to any of the Toronto players or coaches who might have been offended by the fact that the national anthem singer at PGE Park apparently did not know the words to O Canada (or forgot to bring her lyric sheet) and after singing a few words wrong and seeming completely lost gave up about halfway through then went on to sing the Star Spangled Banner.

That's the first time I've heard the Canadian anthem screwed up in the six years of the Timbers but they should definitely issue an apology to the team because that's not acceptable.

I just wanted you to know that we did notice it and it should never have happened.

That's nice of you to mention. S--t happens. Nothing can ever be as bad as the anthem singer, a nightclub singer, at a CFL match in Las Vegas when the Posse were in the league. He had a helluva difficult time with the melody morphing from O Canada into O Christmas Tree.

Quite stunning actually.

The guy begged for a second chance to do it right and to their credit, the club gave him that second chance and he did much better the second time.

Anthem issues aside, I can't say that unlike a few posters here not to be named (ke achoo eh, name rhymes with gay) I am not a real big fan of Zagar, having seen a few Totonto games in Montreal where I thought Goddard outplayed him in those games he started. Hwever, I think Goddard could have and probably should have stopped both of the Portland goals had he had correct positioning and/or not crouched down before the shot. Poor defending on both goals but a professional level keeper should have had both. The Lynx goal was not spectacular but deflected and well placed so the keeper did not have a chance. With a bit better keeping the Lynx might have eeked out a 1-0 victory whether deserved or not.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Anthem issues aside, I can't say that unlike a few posters here not to be named (ke achoo eh, name rhymes with gay) I am not a real big fan of Zagar, having seen a few Totonto games in Montreal where I thought Goddard outplayed him in those games he started. Hwever, I think Goddard could have and probably should have stopped both of the Portland goals had he had correct positioning and/or not crouched down before the shot. Poor defending on both goals but a professional level keeper should have had both. The Lynx goal was not spectacular but deflected and well placed so the keeper did not have a chance. With a bit better keeping the Lynx might have eeked out a 1-0 victory whether deserved or not.

Agreed on the first Portland goal. That was very disappointing. I looked at the second one again and do feel that it was a perfectly placed shot and that Goddard wasn't that badly positioned in terms of angles. Whether or not he should have been playing closer to the line is another question and perhaps it would have been tippable.

db

On the second goal Goddard crouches down as the shot is taken instead so is going the wrong direction. I think he could have saved it though to be fair he doesn't know beforehand where the guy is going to shoot. That being said in the games I saw Toronto play last year he looked more solid back there than Zagar did and since this was his first start this year he might have been a bit rusty.

I just have a big problem with anything that disrespects another country's national anthem, so I was a bit embarassed by the flub. I've also occasionally heard fans disrespecting the opposing national anthem which really upsets me too. But that's another issue.

I agree that the Goddard should have saved the first Portland goal, but I also think the Portland keeper should have saved the Toronto goal as well, and from watching the entire match, I never really thought Toronto had a chance to win it but with a bit of luck, they might have gotten a point. But the Timbers came out attacking after the break and the Lynx just couldn't hold them back. After the lead was 2-0 they backed off a bit and protected the lead.

I think very few people could have saved Oral Bullen's shot (who is right out of college by the way, his first professional goal). It had enough of an arc on it to be a tough save for anybody.

Archived