New York red Bulls vs. Houston Dynamo

RS

The match ended 3-0 for Houston, with all four Canadians seeing action.

Serioux played as a CB for Dynamo, Jazic at LB for Red Bull, DeRo at his usual position behind the strikers, and Onstad of course in goal.

Serioux looked competant in the back line, and really mixed it up. He got a yellow for a hard challenge on Djorkaeff. No love lost for the old teammates, I guess.

Jazic's name wasn't called much by the announcer, but from what little I saw, he played essentially as he does for the national team. That is, solid decision making, quick passes out of the back and good positional play.

De Rosario looked stellar for Houston, if despite showing some obvious off-season rust. He's really rounding into a leader and catalyst for that squad, and probably should be the captain. EVERY Houston offensive foray went through him.

Onstad was solid as usual in goal for Houston, the highlight being a great save on a wonderful free kick by Djorkaeff.

Anyways, that was a nice little Saturday evening diversion. But now it's Saturday night, so I'm outta here :D

Dynamo win vs. New York Red Bulls

Houston Dynamo Media Relations

Buy Tickets!

HOUSTON -- Houston Dynamo finished its preseason play today in South Carolina, with an easy, 3-0 win over the New York Red Bulls at Charleston's Blackbaud Stadium.

Brian Ching, who saw action with Team USA on Wednesday's 4-1 loss against Germany, scored Houston's first goal at the 29th minute, with a header assisted by Brian Mullan. Ryan Cochrane put the 2-0 up on the board at the 70th minute, kicking in a loose ball inside the box, originally shot by Craig Waibel. Brian Mullan, with a violent kick on a pass from Brian Ching, scored Houston Dynamo's third and final goal at the 78th minute.

Dynamo now awaits the result of the D.C. United-Charleston Battery game, to be played starting at 7:15 CT tonight, to see if it can claim its second-straight Carolina Challenge Cup, and get its first title since its move to Houston. Dynamo will win the tournament if D.C. United gets a goal scored against it, or if it does not beat the Charleston Battery by more than three goals. The team finishes its pre-season with a record of 5 victories, 3 defeats, and 1 tie.

Houston Dynamo returns to Houston this Sunday, March 26. The team will rest on Monday, March 27, and Thursday, March 30, while practicing from 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on Tuesday, March 28, Wednesday, March 29, and Friday, March 31, at the University of Houston's Carl Lewis Track Field. The team will also hold a light workout at this venue on Saturday, April 1, at a time yet to be determined.

Dynamo opens its regular season on Sunday, April 2, at 6:30 p.m. CT, at Robertson Stadium against the Colorado Rapids.

Houston Dynamo 3, New York Red Bulls 0

Blackbaud Stadium, Charleston, S.C.

Scoring Summary:

HOU: Brian Ching (Brian Mullan) 29'

HOU: Ryan Cochrane (Craig Waibel) 70'

HOU: Brian Mullan (Kevin Goldthwaite, Brian Ching) 78'

New York Red Bulls: Tony Meola, Ante Jazic (Steve Jolley 70'), Jeff Parke (Carlos Mendes 46'), Taylor Graham, Marvell Wynne (David Arvizu 76'), Seth Stammler, Daniel O'Rourke, Eddie Gaven, Mike Magee, Youri Djorkaeff, Thiago Martins (Peter Canero 64')

Houston Dynamo: Pat Onstad, Kevin Goldthwaite, Adrian Serioux, Ryan Cochrane, Kelly Gray (Craig Waibel 63'), Wade Barrett (Stuart Holden 80'), Dwayne DeRosario, Ricardo Clark (Mike Chabala 88'), Brian Mullan (Marcus Storey 80'), Alejandro Moreno (Ronald Cerritos 70'), Brian Ching

Discipline Summary:

NYRB: Ante Jazic, Caution, 36'

HOU: Adrian Serioux, Caution, 61'

NYRB: Danny O'Rourke, Caution, 85'

Officials: Gus St. Silvo, Gregory Barkey, Kermit Quisenberry, Jeff Muschik

Weather: 54 degrees, clear

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Jazic's name wasn't called much by the announcer, but from what little I saw, he played essentially as he does for the national team. That is, solid decision making, quick passes out of the back and good positional play.

I hope he is able to be more involved offensively at left back in their scheme because he has a good cross off his left peg. Unfortunately, I didn't see that enough in his MNT performances during qualifying, primarily because I'm guessing Yallop wanted him to stay at home.

Archived