Coaching in Canada

tunnvar

I just wanted to ask if anybody out there could offer me any information about coaching opportunities in Canada. I have coached youth soccer full-time in the U.S now for 5 years and I was wondering if there are similar career paths available in Canada.

Is Youth Soccer set-up similar to that in the States?

Any responses or information would be great having not had much luck with my web searches.

quote:Originally posted by tunnvar

I just wanted to ask if anybody out there could offer me any information about coaching opportunities in Canada. I have coached youth soccer full-time in the U.S now for 5 years and I was wondering if there are similar career paths available in Canada.

Is Youth Soccer set-up similar to that in the States?

Any responses or information would be great having not had much luck with my web searches.

Hey- if you can scam the right group of parents, you make up to 80K in some cities as a Technical Director. Try Gloucester or Ottawa South in Ottawa.

Guest speedmonk42

Hey Kelly, even better if you know how to play the piano you can totally scam parents out of loads of cash teaching thier kids how to play.

You make like 30-50 bux an hour.

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

Hey Kelly, even better if you know how to play the piano you can totally scam parents out of loads of cash teaching thier kids how to play.

You make like 30-50 bux an hour.

And figure skating???? Lots of coaches there making money off of kids who will never get beyond the rink. If the soccer clubs and/or parents are willing to pay and everyone has a vote at the AGM, more power to them. I've volunteered for over twenty years at all levels of soccer, I don't resent anyone who makes a few bucks, as long as they are honest about what they are offering.

Guest speedmonk42

yeah, sorry for the flippant reply. I just hate the implication that everyone making money in soccer is a scammer.

Are their unqualified people teaching soccer and getting paid? Perhaps.

Can paying someone who is really good to educate the volunteer coaches and improve the game be a good thing? Very much so.

yeah, sorry for the flippant reply. I just hate the implication that everyone making money in soccer is a scammer.

Are their unqualified people teaching soccer and getting paid? Perhaps.

Can paying someone who is really good to educate the volunteer coaches and improve the game be a good thing? Very much so.

The problem I have is that 'player development' has become such a buzz phrase the last four or five years. How about we focus more on 'coaching development' so that those coaches who are involved at the grass roots level (re: parents) are teaching proper fundamentals and skills to kids instead of bad habits (toe-poking, etc.).

Wait, I just answered my own question.......500 kids @ $200 v 35 parents @ $45 .

My bad............:(

Guest speedmonk42

Actually in most cases the job of the paid people I have met is to coach the coaches. At least that is what the overwhelming number of paid people are there to do. I don't think it gets advertised as much or at all because it is an internal thing done by the club rather than something public to get players.

It is a good thing, in fact most of it is a good thing. Is it the best situation? not sure, we won't know for 20 years.

Actually in most cases the job of the paid people I have met is to coach the coaches. At least that is what the overwhelming number of paid people are there to do. I don't think it gets advertised as much or at all because it is an internal thing done by the club rather than something public to get players.

It is a good thing, in fact most of it is a good thing. Is it the best situation? not sure, we won't know for 20 years.

Well it is certainly better than the way it was before, at least for those players and coaches interested in more than just kicking the ball around for recreation.

COACHING IN BC.

Now it also depends on your personal experience, coaching certifications, and what region of British Columbia specifically. The province is absolutely massive and could contain large portions of Europe within its borders.

There are many many options in the Lower Mainland (and I'd also assume in Victoria where they have extensive and intricate soccer communities).

Need more details if you want more help. More than happy to provide any information possible. Now is the time to contact clubs as they are preparing for next season by scheduling trials and appointing coaches.

bettermirror

Thanks for your response.

I have 6 years of Youth Soccer Coacing experience in the U.S. I am from Liverpool England. I have been based in Austin, Texas for the last 4 years working as D.O.C for a select soccer club. I have my USSF 'B' License, USSF 'National Youth License' and an NSCAA Goalkeping Diploma Level 1. I hope to obtian my 'A' License in the near future.

I'd just like to know if there are similar career opportunities in Canada as there are in the States. I have heard that Canada is a beautiful place to live and that BC has a lot of soccer communities. Victoria is one area that has been mentioned to me. In truth, I know very little about Canadian life and youth sports mentality.

Any information, contacts or even weblinks to help me learn more would be gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Hi Tunnvar,

I can't say much about British Columbia since I live near Toronto, but Vancouver and Victoria are consistently at the top of surveys of the best places in the world to live and everyone who's been there raves about it. As for soccer, BC has the advantage of being the only place in Canada where you can play outdoors in winter - so there are plenty of opportunities there.

I would contact the CSA (canadasoccer.com) to see if your current certificates are fully transferable, or if you are required to take some tests, and to see about getting your A license. I would then contact BC soccer and ask for advice, and contact various teams starting with the Vancouver Whitecaps and working down until you find an opportunity.

GOOD LUCK!

KAS

Thanks for your response on this. I sent out an email to all the coaching directors of soccer clubs in BC. The Vancouver Whitecaps was one of them for sure.

I'll look into the websites you mentioned and see if there are any contacts there that could provide me with some information.

Thanks again, appreciate it

Tunnvar

Archived