Interesting MLSE develpoments...

Jambo Drew

Given that the Raptors & MLSE have signed a highly respected Basketball man to captain their ship for the next 5 yrs, what are the thoughts on the new leader for the Toronto MLS'ees team? A perfect candidate would be someone well respected internationally, with good MLS credentials. My gut says that someone like a Steve Nicol or a Bruce Arena would go down a treat here in Toronto. match that with a recognizable Canadian face - ie. Forrest / Onstad in an asst coach position, and I think that would be a good start. Thoughts?

I doubt either of the two names you gave would go to Toronto, especially Bruce Arena. Why would he leave a very successful national team program to go back to MLS, and in Canada no less.

I'm sure MLSE will find a decent candidate, but I keep thinking that Yallop will wind up doing both jobs, with a capable senior assistant to take over while he's on NATL team duty. Frank knows the league, and wants to use it to improve his player pool...that was the whole idea wasn't it?

My thought that with the USA in such a tough group, it's not likely that they'll progress. That being the case, USSF will change the man at the helm and free up Arena to go elsewhere. Yallop is a solid option though, although the CDN MNT isn't likely to help anyone's resume. Either way, I'll be interested to see what plays out as we get closer to the T.O. MLS'ers becoming a reality.

a few of us at the meeting the other night discussed this.

the names we came up with, were as follows;

Forest (household canadian player, plus experience in England and Nat'l),

Yallop (strong MLS experience with MLS Cups, plus understands the game very well down there),

Davey Gee (local guy, help put together strong Toronto Olympians team in the CNSL, help bring in players in the 1997 Lynx inaugural season players like Onstad/DeRosario/Stalteri tandem with a 10 game win streak until he left, of course why??, the Lynx owners)

Pinizzotto (local guy, strong connection with players, understands the game)

one name that i forgot to bring up was Ray Hudson, former coach of the Miami Fusion and be found weekly on the AMerican Soccer show.

Lenarduzzi's name came up, but we thought his heart/ambition is more in Van city.

any other considerations, keep them coming....

I think Paul James would be more likely than Craig Forrest if we are going to talk about current television commentators, as James at least has some coaching experience.

I suppose former Blizzard Colin Miller should also be mentioned in this regard.

Why does the coach have to be Canadian? I just want a damn good coach who can create a good team. Someone like Paul Le Guen. Aim high. And it's not that unrealistic. Arsene Wenger went to Japan for a while so why not have Paul Le Guen come to Canada? MLSE has the money.

Another guy I would try and take a chance on is Tony Adams. He's a born leader and is a student of the game. He has travelled to Holland, Italy and France to learn about managing a team so this could be a good oppurtunity for him to show what he learned and not have as much pressure as he would in Europe.

Just no Ray Hudson. That guy annoys me.

I agree with you that I feel no need to exclusively look to Canadians a coaches. However, I wouldn't hold out hope for Le Guen, if I were you, rummor has it, he may be on his way to the darkest pits of hell in the next few weeks (and as the ass with the metrostars can attest - there just aint any commin back)

mob7.jpg

quote:Originally posted by BusanBhoy

As I understand it, It will be more to do with what the banks have to say than what the (here comes an oxymoron) Murray 'braintrust' want.

ps. I hope on BS I got the nick name right (ie going with "Ru" rather that "Ro")?

I had heard it was all in the hands of le guen himself....he has been offered the job but he and his long time assistant are not sure they want it.

The assistant was at the last Old Firm game to check things out....not surprisingly, it did not make their decision any easier!

Archived