Canadian University Programs

Richard

Andrew Corrazza was drafted by the Whitecaps on Tuesday.

http://cgi.sfu.ca/%7Eathlwww/modules.php?name=News&file=article&new_topic=&sid=1086

An interesting nugget from this SFU website article that is relevant to a recent discussion in this forum about the standard of play at Canadian universities: "Over 40 SFU men’s soccer players have gone on to play in professional leagues."

quote:Originally posted by Richard

http://cgi.sfu.ca/%7Eathlwww/modules.php?name=News&file=article&new_topic=&sid=1086

An interesting nugget from this SFU website article that is relevant to a recent discussion in this forum about the standard of play at Canadian universities: "Over 40 SFU men’s soccer players have gone on to play in professional leagues."

I'd need to see the complete list and where these young men or women ended up.

When someone uses "Over" in a press release, it usually means BOMBASTIC

I will be headed to university in two years. (gr.11 now) I most likely will be playing university soccer as well. I havent really started looking into what programs are the best. I have heard alot from SFU in Vanny thought. How would you rank the schools overall(training facilities, coachs, team). If possible would someone be better of going to the USA for a lower D1 school or Division II?

Thanks

quote:Originally posted by Richard

That and Simon Fraser plays in the NAIA do they not? Please correct me if I'm wrong Richard.

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

I will be headed to university in two years. (gr.11 now) I most likely will be playing university soccer as well. I havent really started looking into what programs are the best. I have heard alot from SFU in Vanny thought. How would you rank the schools overall(training facilities, coachs, team). If possible would someone be better of going to the USA for a lower D1 school or Division II?

Thanks

It would seem obvious to take the NCAA scholarship, but keep in mind that a free education from a really bad school essentially means that you come out of your four years with a useless degree. I am assuming that you are not counting on a pro soccer career at this point, so why not use your talents to help pay for a decent education that will carry you forward in the world?

Jason

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

Thanks

The main NCAA criterion for putting schools in Div I or Div II is how many different sports they offer, not how good their athletic or academic programs are or how big their scholarships. There is no promotion or relegation based on on-field performance. There are many Div II schools that could compete very well in Div I, just as there are many NAIA schools that could do very well in any of the NCAA divisions. You need to research any options south of the border very thoroughly. Many young Canadians accept what they think are wonderful scholarship opportunities from US universities only to be severely disillusioned for any number of reasons during their first year. More give up and come home than stay and succeed so you need to be very cautious when making your choices.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Lord knows Quebec doesn't have 3 English universities!

Funny how folk think eh?

Atlantic has 2 French (okay one doesn't play AUS but ACAA) and doesn't Ontario have some?

Anywho for soccer UPEI or St. Mary's for education gotta go with Dalhousie or UNB.....OOPS who did I tick off now ;) Of course your choice of university depends alot on your field of study. Education wise I don't think there's a poor CIS campus to pick from really. Just depends on what your looking for. Soccer wise have any schools come to have a look at you or contacted you in any way? That will tell you most.

I don't know about soccer but I know Mount A has been out talking to High School football players already for the fall season and next. One of my work mates son has already agreed. And when I attend tier 2 Jr A hockey games there's always a few guys with various University jackets on carrying clip-boards taking notes and talking to referees and coaches. Seems to me soccer recruiting wouldn't be all that different?

Archived