US to play Scotland

Joe Concacaf

Big Dunc retired himself from international football several years ago when he had a fall out with the SFA, I can't remember what the problem was, but memory suggests he did have a point. He has always refused to play since then.

Drew one-all. Small crowd at Hampden in a friendly friendly apparently.

Fox Sports World Report just mentioned that the US hasn't had a win in Europe since 2000. Not sure exactly what that means as I don't realy think the US spends a lot of time in Europe trying their hand but one thing is for sure that record will have to improve. And quick.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Considering the Irish are (unbelievable as it may sound) make the French look like medal winners in the last big one, I don't know why an Irishman would come onto a Cdn soccer site to bait Yanks regarding any war. We Canucks are honouring our many thousands of war dead this week. Ignore him Monsieur Bangoutoforder. Desigol should learn to keep the politics out of the footy talk.

Good luck against Scotland. A bit of a makeshift squad so I don't know how you will fare.

Irishmen, both Unionist and Nationalist, gave their lives in those wars too. let's not forget their sacrifice.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Drew one-all. Small crowd at Hampden in a friendly friendly apparently.

Fox Sports World Report just mentioned that the US hasn't had a win in Europe since 2000. Not sure exactly what that means as I don't realy think the US spends a lot of time in Europe trying their hand but one thing is for sure that record will have to improve. And quick.

A bragging right for Canada! :D

quote:Originally posted by Desigol

Irishmen, both Unionist and Nationalist, gave their lives in those wars too. let's not forget their sacrifice.

Bull****. Ireland was neutral. Some Irish citizens had the balls to help the Allies but not the majority and certainly not the appointed government. The IRA even supported the Nazis.

Go read a book why don't you and keep your ignorant political statements off this board.

Over 1,000,000 Canadians joined the forces in World War II. We had over 70,000 in the air force alone, more than the total 70,000 Irish who helped the Allies.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Bull****. Ireland was neutral. Some Irish citizens had the balls to help the Allies but not the majority and certainly not the appointed government. The IRA even supported the Nazis.

Go read a book why don't you and keep your ignorant political statements off this board.

Over 1,000,000 Canadians joined the forces in World War II. We had over 70,000 in the air force alone, more than the total 70,000 Irish who helped the Allies.

Ireland only has a populations of 4 Million.

Canada has about 40 Million.

Therefore, more Canadians would've fought in those Wars than Irish. And as for the IRA supporting the Nazis, don't believe everything the Belfast Telegraph says.

quote:Originally posted by Desigol

Ireland only has a populations of 4 Million.

Canada has about 40 Million.

Therefore, more Canadians would've fought in those Wars than Irish. And as for the IRA supporting the Nazis, don't believe everything the Belfast Telegraph says.

I don't want to get into the historical argument, but 40 million is a meaningless figure. First off, our population is currently 31.5 million, but in 1945 only 12.5.

I thought this thread was about a football match!

Desigol, why should you demand that people should not forget the sacrifice that the Irish made during WW2, when you opened by suggesting Scotlands opposition to the Gulf War and ignoring the sacrifice made by the Scottish soldiers in Iraq?

Surely any loss of life is terrible regardless of colour, religion or nationality?

Stick to talking about football. Irelands got a decent squad of players and are looking for a new manager, surely that should be your talking points on a football board.

Anyway, Canso, thanks for the guarantee, maybe not much of a game but at least Scotland didn't get beat.

I believe that we won at Poland in early 2004. Beasley scored a nice goal in that one.

The Americans had some very bright moments. Scotland got into the match through fighting spirit. At that point, no American stepped up, as it were. Eddie Gaven, the image-seeking little punk who seems more concerned with looking like a hippy than with making a mark, should take a lesson from the Scots. You gotta have heart.

Ben Olsen, who I have often derided, mixed it up in the second half, got stuck in, and the American boys responded by having the better of play. Beasley was outstanding, as was Cherundolo. Spector showed great poise, especially in the second half. Neither Ching nor Quaranta showed me much. Wolff blew a sitter.

I'd mention a certain country staying out of Nato but that would be in violation of the new spirit on this thread.

I didn't see the game myself but listened to it on the radio. you have summed up Scotland pretty well, we have a fighting spirit and want to succeed but we have a long way to go before we can get it technically right.

There has been too little grass roots investment in Football in Scotland and the coaching has been poor, and well you reap what you sow. At least we are starting to make a few changes and see some talent coming through but it will be a good few years before we are a force to be reckoned with.

Winning in Poland was a good result, I'm not sure how you guys will fair in Germany but I can't see any team really firing on all cylinders yet. Just look at the amount of teams that called players out of retirement to try and ensure their place, France, Turkey, Czech Republic to name three.

At least I can sit back and enjoy the tournament next year without the fear of any embarrasment, like getting beat by Peru, drawing with Iran, beat my Morroco, my gos the list is endless. Scotland and World Cups don't mix.

quote:Originally posted by canso

It's a great tradition of glorious defeat!

I sense you have been there with the glorious failures of old.

And that is only on the park. Don't mention drugs in Argentina or rowing boats in Largs!

But we are changing, we are starting to get some 'talent' creeping through (as long as we don't electrocute them on the training fields!)

quote:Originally posted by MFC

I sense you have been there with the glorious failures of old.

And that is only on the park. Don't mention drugs in Argentina or rowing boats in Largs!

But we are changing, we are starting to get some 'talent' creeping through (as long as we don't electrocute them on the training fields!)

And as for McGeady playing for Ireland instead of Scotland, you haven't missed much. Besides, Burke's better IMO.

quote:

And as for McGeady playing for Ireland instead of Scotland, you haven't missed much. Besides, Burke's better IMO.

The jury is out on that one. I am not sure how good he will be, but he doesn't half get some stick for choosing to play for Ireland. Which is a bit ironic as Scotland have had a few 'English' play for us.

Again not too sure about Burke either, I have not seen enough of him.

Scotland are desperate for a new legend at the moment. The perfect example is McFadden who looked a brilliant prospect at Motherwell and the press latched on to him and all of a sudden he was the saviour of Scottish football. Now, he is still talented but languishing on the bench at Everton, where the EPL has found him out to be talented but greedy and naive.

As for whether McGeady (or any other player) should play for the country of his birth or the country of his parents/grandparents is a hell of a debate. Sometimes it is a farce, not too long ago Ged Brannan (born in England) played for the Cayman Islands although he had never been there or had any connection with the country. At the time the Cayman Islands called up about 10 Brits as they found a loop hole in the laws as they were technically a British protectorate). FIFA quickly stopped that one.

But if a player chooses to play for the country of his parents/grandparents birth because he has an affinity with the country I can accept it but wouldn't life be a bit different if it wasn't allowed.

Owen Hargreaves playing for Canada or half the French world Cup winning team playing for their respective African nations

Archived