US to play Scotland

Joe Concacaf

Scotland will play the United States in a friendly at Hampden Park on November 12.

The date had been set aside for a possible World Cup play-off before the Group Five defeat by Belarus saw the Scots eliminated.

Walter Smith's team recovered well to claim a fine three-goal triumph in Slovenia in the final qualifier.

Now Scotland will be aiming to build on that victory with the visit of the American national side.

The USA have already qualified for the finals in Germany next summer - their fifth successive appearance - from the CONCACAF section.

And Smith is relishing the prospect of pitting his men against a team ranked seventh in the world.

He said: "I am looking forward to a tough and entertaining game at Hampden.

"They are very good opposition and, although they are from another continent, they are more European in their style of playing.

"Their recent record is fantastic, and they were unlucky in the last World Cup not to reach the semi-finals.

"Having qualified again for Germany, it shows the pedigree in the team, who are seventh in the FIFA world rankings."

The USA have only played on Scottish soil once before, in April 1952 when they were defeated 6-0 at Hampden.

quote:Originally posted by Desigol

Scotland must be motivated for this game, considering Scotland's opposition to Bush's War for Oil. :D

Absolutely. For similar reasons American get sky high for our matches with Irleand. We see a footy match as a great way to punish the Irish for shirking WWII and staying out of NATO. What would a friendly match be without a political grudge to settle? I'm sure that the American players will see a victory over Scotland as vindication of an administration's foreign policy.

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Desigol

Scotland must be motivated for this game, considering Scotland's opposition to Bush's War for Oil.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely. For similar reasons American get sky high for our matches with Irleand. We see a footy match as a great way to punish the Irish for shirking WWII and staying out of NATO. What would a friendly match be without a political grudge to settle? I'm sure that the American players will see a victory over Scotland as vindication of an administration's foreign policy.

What the hell are you all talking about?

What Scottish Foreign policy?

quote:

Originally posted by Desigol

Scotland must be motivated for this game, considering Scotland's opposition to Bush's War for Oil.

What the hell are you all talking about?

What Scottish Foreign policy?

It was an ironic comment on the American players feeling vindication for their OWN administration's foreign policy. The context makes that clear.

The point being, of course, that it seems OK to violate the unwritten rule that forbids mixing of international sports and politics when American teams are involved.

Anyway, don't count on this match being worth watching.

It was an ironic comment on the American players feeling vindication for their OWN administration's foreign policy. The context makes that clear.

The point being, of course, that it seems OK to violate the unwritten rule that forbids mixing of international sports and politics when American teams are involved.

Anyway, don't count on this match being worth watching.

Considering the Irish are (unbelievable as it may sound) make the French look like medal winners in the last big one, I don't know why an Irishman would come onto a Cdn soccer site to bait Yanks regarding any war. We Canucks are honouring our many thousands of war dead this week. Ignore him Monsieur Bangoutoforder. Desigol should learn to keep the politics out of the footy talk.

Good luck against Scotland. A bit of a makeshift squad so I don't know how you will fare.

Cheers

I was well confused by the Irishmens comments about Scotland's opposition to the war. I am not even going to comment on whether the war is right or wrong, but many Scots lost their lifes fighting in this war, as they have in every war(as well as many other nations) and it is a bit disgusting to bring this into a football match.

There is an interesting story in the British papers regarding football and war and is worth the read. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,27-1865195,00.html

As for the game itself, I hope Scotland win but seriously doubt it. 2-0 USA

And as Ed says its Rememnerance Sunday.

Absolutely, lads. Much of the rhetoric about the game bringing people together often seems intended to placate corporate sponsors or just plain naive. But here's to this thread voicing the right sentiments.

I suppose that it's a measure of the States' national team's emergence that a game at Scotland is seen as a run-out for aspirants.

On the footballing side, I do not think the US will have too much trouble winning the game. Scotland have a decent young keeper and a few good attack minded players, Miller, McFadden and Fletcher, but not much depth.

Whats the feeling from the States?

EH?!?! Yer oootay order laddie! Scotland wi'nae lose to tha Yankee tossers, ah can guaranteee ya that much, and yer war mongerin monkey face President can kiss the sunny side a mah arse fer all a that! ACH!!

(the preceeding was brought to you by Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale, a great Nova Scotia beer, where regular folk actually talks like that)

Canso,

I'll accept I'm ootay order and I will take you up on your guarantee. But Scotland are not up to scratch at the moment. A lot of young promise but no depth or true leadership. And he's not my president, I think you've guessed my nationality wrong.

Anyways can you get that IPA sent over to Budapest, I'm gagging for a decent pint!

I just don't see much creativity coming from the top of the American midfield. Neither Mullan nor Martino were included. Convey is skipping the match. Donovan is with the Galaxy. Dempsey, who I still feel is a d-mid despite often playing in either the hole or even up top, is with the Revo. Beasley is a fine player but not a hole player by any stretch. Lewis may provide service but of the crossing sort. Rolfe and Feilhaber are young players worth a good look. Arena still hasn't figured out that a fair test implies having to have a balanced line-up. Our back line will be strong with Cherundolo, Onyewu, Bocanegra and Spector. Zavagnin is a dmid who knows his limitations. Expect nothing from the Olsen.

quote:Originally posted by canso

EH?!?! Yer oootay order laddie! Scotland wi'nae lose to tha Yankee tossers, ah can guaranteee ya that much, and yer war mongerin monkey face President can kiss the sunny side a mah arse fer all a that! ACH!!

(the preceeding was brought to you by Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale, a great Nova Scotia beer, where regular folk actually talks like that)

Dude, like ease up. Will you cool out if I get you a stellar Phish bootleg? You will? Awesome. Let's definitely share some micros before the match. I'll bring along a kickin' organic IPA. Catch you there, mun. Should be sweet.

Archived