Sept 4. Friendly - Canada-Germany (R)

DoyleG

I thought our players played marvellously. Bravo girls!

But you are right Gordon, the first forty minutes were a delight, great movement off and on the ball by our ladies. Then, we sat back, and went back to launching the ball back to their end without a systematic approach. Not quite as bad as the abortion in Costa Rica at the Olympic qualifiers, but it shows serious problems with Pellerud's approach. However, it seems that very few of the women's supporters will hear anything bad about him or discuss the matter openly, it seems a little bit of a messiah complex there. He clearly missed the mark in terms of in-match tactics, as uninspiring as Erickson of England's men. The players did an excellent job, but as someone who was watching as an eyewitness just yards from centrefield, he was like a stick in the mud barking out unhelpful comments like "C'mon, move it" and nothing more. His weakness was clearly the right backside, but did nothing to shore it up (the back right was crying for Brittany Timko, and I know that she wants to be a forward know, but she would have shored up the weak right defence well). He made substitutions far too late, long after certain players showed signs of exhaustion. God and FIFA gives us 6 substitutions in friendlies, I don't know why Pellerud does not use them like the Germans did. The fact that we didn't have some our best players there because of the NCAA schedule is little excuse here.

His first sub was Lang, who was holding what semblance of an attack we had together, when subbing off a tired Hooper (who had a very good game as a lone centre, altho her mobility and stamina aren't there anymore). Morneau (who along with her partner on the left Hermus and an incredibly hounding and intelligent little Matheson, were the Canadian women of the match for me) should not have been subbed, she was a lynchpin at left back. Sasha Andrews was awesome as the lone centre-back at the end, I don't know why she couldn't have replaced a struggling Schimdt earlier. Our brief revival at the end was as a result of some determined individual work by many of our players in spite of Pellrud's tactics.

As the talented youngsters start to move up into the aging ranks, maybe it is time for Bridge to take over the senior program. He may not have Evan's pedigree, but from what I saw with the Juniors last year he at least has the gumption to change tactics when necessary and allow the players to play some intelligent possession and short passing.

I am still positive about our women's programs, I think we have some of the best players in the world :). They are loyal to Pellerud who brought a lot of good changes in, but he doesn't seem ready to develop as fast as our players in terms of how they are used. Pellerud should be given the first class Order of Canada for what he has done to develop the woman's game in Canada since 1999. Sorry to be the little guy saying the Emperor has no clothes when it comes to his on-field tactics though.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

I thought our players played marvellously. Bravo girls!

etc. etc.

What an excellent write up Beaches. Objective and revealing. I know Pellerud expects lots from his girls, and that is good, but he should expect lots of himself as well. We seem to be on a plateau unable to move past it. I believe that Kara Lang was subbed because she had to take an earlier flight back to university. Hooper in spite of not being what she was some 10 years ago, she is still right up there standing up to the Germans. I love it! When Sasha Andrews came in,the defence was far more organized. Schmidt was struggling but at 17, ain't too bad. I disagree with Morneau, she left too much room to Garefrekes and was ball watching constantly. Not suitable for this high level. She caused a goal in the first game for abandoning her mark and not only caused a goal in the second game, but she scored it all by herself. Goodbye Isabel.

As soon as I saw the starting lineup for the Burnaby game you could tell that Pellarud was more interested in experiments and development than winning the game. Which while frustrating as a fan is probably what he should be doing a this point.

This time he started with his more convensional lineup... Lang starts, Matheson in the middle, etc.. Schmidt is a great defender and at 17 has a lot of promise, but I refuse to believe that any coach would have missed noticing her game fall apart when she got tired. I even saw her legs give out just changing direction while standing alone. Pellarud couldn't have missed all that but chose to keep her on likely because he believes he's investing in a much needed defender and forced her to play fatigued. Same with all the late changes.

It may be a fair argument to say that Pellarud should have taking winning more seriously. But given his choice to accomodate the college players and experiment with positions and new faces its obvious his substitutions were never meant to be stratigic and shouldn't be judged as such.

That said, if he does the same thing in a cup game I'll be on board with saying thanks for everthing, goodbye.

Beachesl, I agree that Morneau, Hermus, and Matheson were fantastic this game. As well I was more impressed with Walsh this game and while Apps infuriated me last game, I thought she did much better in the short time she played in this game.

The Ref... The only time I ever remember seeing someone get by Morneau was when she shifted to cover the center when the defenders on the right were beaten. I faulted her for one when watching live only to be corrected watching the game on tape... She and the other defenders pushed up to trap the forwards offside and tired Schmidt kept them onside, leaving Morneau looking out of position trying to catch up (which she did).

All in all it was a fantastic game to watch and the goals were great! (especially when compared to the first game)

I seem to remember reading on Go Big Red that Morneau had been ill on the weekend and was a doubtful starter before the game. That might explain why Pellerud took her out when he did.

Schmidt was the weak link in the back line. But in fairness, she's only 17 and had a tough task marking Connie Pohlers all afternoon. I thought she was simply outclassed by a very talented striker.

I might be the only person who thinks this, but I thought, tactically, that Canada actually outplayed the Germans. It's the individual skills of the German players, not their coaching, that allowed them to win these games.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

I asked a local skillful woman defender what her opinion was of the game. She said that possession and marking by Canada was horrendous.

This local skillful woman defender should really join the team then since she obviously knows her stuff. You know, not make the team horrendous anymore.

Archived