Nieuwendyk and Roberts Leave Leafs

Grizzly

Domi may be next to leave.

Panthers sign Nieuwendyk and Roberts

TSN.ca Staff

8/1/2005 2:57:25 PM

The Florida Panthers have signed unrestricted free agents Joe Nieuwendyk and Gary Roberts.

Monday is the first day teams can sign unrestricted free agents.

The childhood friends, who started their careers in Calgary in 1986-87, were reunited with the Toronto Maple Leafs for the 2003-04 campaign and will now play together for a third time. Roberts had 28 goals and 48 points in 72 games while Nieuwendyk had 22 goals and 50 points in just 64 games.

In 1,030 NHL games, the 39-year-old Roberts has scored 397 goals and 805 points while amassing 2,345 penalty minutes. He was named the winner of the Bill Masterton Trophy in 1995-96 after returning from neck surgery.

Over the same span, the 38-year-old Nieuwendyk has played in 1,177 games, scoring 533 goals and 1,062 points. The Whitby, Ontario native won the Calder Trophy with the Flames in 1987-88 and the Conn Smythe Trophy with Dallas in 1998-99.

Both players won the Stanley Cup with the Flames in 1989 while Nieuwendyk also won with the Dallas Stars and New Jersey Devils.

quote:Originally posted by Alex

You calling the great Canadian game American?? Go watch CBC on Saturday night.

I won't bother. Cuz what I'll see is 4-on-4 hockey, shootouts and other little tricks to try and lure simpletons into the Americanized game.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

I won't bother. Cuz what I'll see is 4-on-4 hockey, shootouts and other little tricks to try and lure simpletons into the Americanized game.

Yeah you're right you should watch CHL. Major Jr. A is much more fun anyways.

Let me think do I care if Amurikans watch NHL........no I don't!

After all it's only fair 98% of Canadians don't care about the NBA ;)

I can't beleive how bad this free agent signing is for the leafs... were going to end up with Allison, who broke his neck and Palffy a 33 year old former goal scorer.... sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet,

way to go Leafs, never will win again

As far as most of the rule changes, two line passing , tag up offside and a few others like hurry up faceoffs. These rules have been part of Hockey Canada's rules for years. So any player that has played in Canada from tier 2 Jr. A, CIS even NCAA or lower should be used to these rules. It's only been the CHL and NHL that haven't been playing by IIHF rules so to most real hockey fans these changes should be no big deal, just bringing NHL into how the game is played through out most of the world.

Too bad the NHL didn't include the no touch icing though.

quote:Originally posted by zacRWE

I can't beleive how bad this free agent signing is for the leafs... were going to end up with Allison, who broke his neck and Palffy a 33 year old former goal scorer.... sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet,

way to go Leafs, never will win again

Nah,Nah,Nah......HEY,HEY,HEY..... SOOOOOOO LONG[}:)]

Habs rule.........Oh, Les Canadiens, Les Canadiens, Leees Caaanehdiens....s'ont la.:D

Archived