July 2 Friendly - Canada vs Honduras (R)

snake

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I believe it was Patrice Bernier that headed the ball to DeRo on the Portugal goal, but my pedantry aside, I agree with your main point. Since McKenna scores as a defender, it makes more sense to have somebody else up there as a striker giving us more offense (and with McKenna one of our better central defenders, even if that doesn't mean a whole lot these days).

It concerns me that we aren't scoring from the run of play in general - our last three goals being off a corner, off a free kick (against Portugal) and off a free kick (N.Ireland).

Also, we need Iain Hume to start notching goals for Canada at the senior level. He is overdue for his first senior team goal, and I will be disappointed if, assuming he plays a lot, he doesn't notch one in the Gold Cup.

Pretty much agree. Hume has got to be made to understand his role on the MNT. And really it's not so different than what's expected of him at Tranmere. But then Frankie's got to do his part too. Ian's got to be put up front and given that oppportunity to save his legs (and his quality) for goal scoring.

If that means Yallop's little pet project (Jamie Peters) sits then so be it. Peters' will get his chance, but if he's got to wait, he's got to wait. Feel far better with Hume at right forward than Peters. Just have to get him the ball more than once or twice. And with some support when it's usefull.

I think this is where we'll miss a fellow like de Guzman, or Hell, even Bircham. A disruptive ball winner who won't let our forwards get forgotten and isolated, even if it costs a card. It's not Hume's role to be that terrier.

(Geezus, isn't that weird? Just realised that football must be the only contact sport in the world where Canadians aren't recognised for punching-above-their-weight, as it were. Wow).

P.S. Okay, I think I've just about had it with the McKenna as a defender slagging. JDV was the be all and end all but Big Kev is too damned slow? Huh???. He had a bad year last campain as much to do with niggling back injurys and all the off field crap at Hearts as anything. Get over it.

P.S.S. Oh, and if he ever gets a quicker, hard tackling partner, like oh I don't know, Nsaliwa or Klukowski he is gonna rock. A legendary partnership we'll be telling our kids about. If they want to hear it or no!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speed kills is a truism. The inverse is also true: A lack of speed kills. Why do you suppose big JDV has never made it to the Premiership or equivalent? The man is a rock, has the size and all of the intangibles. And although not the most skilled centre halve in the world, certainly as good with the ball as many premiership centre backs. Speed, or a lack of it, is the reason. And really the same goes for McKenna. Now, for me though, the question is where he will do the most good, because he is certainly a better back than Gervais or Pizzolitto, and if those are the guys whose names will go on the game sheet, then by all means, dress McKenna as a back. But, what as a defender does McKenna bring that Marco Reda does not also bring? Is there that much of a drop off? And with Klukowski, hopefully Nsaliwa back in the fold some day, and Edgar emerging, do we really need Mckenna at the back were 2 of these four also available? Who do we play that requires a big centre Halve anyway? None of the CONCACAF teams, other than the US. Maybe Mexico with Borghetti or whatever the heck his name is. Lets assume Kevin has all of the guile required to be successful playing the Centreback position with his footspeed. Fine enough, but if Stalteri coughs up the football at half, or Jazic muffs a back pass does he have enough speed to cover up? I say no. And if we got guys who do, and can handle the position, then lets play them.

As a forward, McKenna, unlike any other guy we have to call, has approximately a 50% strike rate. 50%! He's played what? 12 games as a forward, maybe a few more or a few less, and has 6 goals to show for it! And against quality opposition too. Maybe some day Occean or Friend or others will start to do what McKenna has, but that day is not today. He is exactly the kind of player that the Central American teams struggle to defend. We are a goal challenged and we have a guy who scores - unlike Radzinski, unlike DeRosario (who may end up being our AM anyway if his MLS performance is anything to judge by), unlike Hume, unlike Friend, unlike, well the list goes on. As a defender his strike rate is about 20%, pretty darn good for a defender, and an excellent contribution if we had anyone else, anyone at all, getting their licks in too. But we don't.

So, dress Kevin at Centre Half when there is a big drop off after him on the depth chart (like this Gold Cup, frex), but otherwise start him as a forward, because he has proven himself as the best we got at doing what a forward needs to do: score goals. Pretty skills are all well and fine, but the most beautiful and joyus skill a forward can have is a regular after goal celebration.

Archived