July 2 Friendly - Canada vs Honduras (R)

snake

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel sorry for the fans in Vancouver who keep coming out to support the team & see them lose out there. Honestly, when was the last time we won a match in that stadium, not counting the B team matches against Millwall - 1996?

As I've seen no footage from the match, I don't know if this is a bad sign for the Gold Cup, another incident of the Curse of Burnaby, or both......

quote:Originally posted by maxG

Mckenna is only good for headers otherwise he blows my hairy sac.

Yeah, don't you just hate those guys who seem to score consistantly. Especially the ones who just pull out of thin air.

Again, and again, and again.

Nope. That sort of rubbish Canada dose not need.

Good of the Left Coasters to show for the match. Personaly wasn't expecting much as given the circumstances I thought the lads would be saving the legs and expected Frankie to give some time to a few who'd otherwise spend this tourny coming off the bench. Any opinions?

Gervais and Big Kev holding the centre D? Hmmmm. Might be able to pull that off if Grande plays tight in front of them and the fullbacks have the speed and legs to creep over. Geezus, pretty tough though. But yeah, you may want to give that another think Frankie.

Probably the 1st competative match for most of the English/Scottish lads. Still got to shake off the rust. Hope it happens sooner rather than later.

this team is yet another indication of the lack of vision by the CSA

we constant send bandaid squad to official tournaments and look just as the CSA is completely confused infront of the whole world about how the game is bieng played at the global level.

players coming off the European season is always going to ask for a rest and after that their club teams need them to prepare for the upcoming season yet the CSA keeps ignoring taking that into account when preparing our national team.

The majority of the players were available during most of the yr

yet a bare minimun effort is being made by the CSA to get them to gel together

after the yet another WCQ failing campaign the emphasis should have been to prepare the team for the next tournament and beyong

they should have known that they might have to go with a mostly north American base squad and prepare the team early and consitently a decision that could have been taken very early and focus on the passing game and cohesion with the unit.

looks like the CSA relied heavily on the montreal impact to do most of the preparation instead of them taking the innitiative and give the players the kind of training opportunities to make sure that we just dont keep falling apart in a game.

we keep seeing last minutes tactics and preparation that does very little to improve collectivity on the field not much as far as continuity for the future except what we have seen so far with our various national teams, failure.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Gervais and Big Kev holding the centre D? Hmmmm. Might be able to pull that off if Grande plays tight in front of them and the fullbacks have the speed and legs to creep over. Geezus, pretty tough though. But yeah, you may want to give that another think Frankie.

On the bright side, McKenna looked 1000 times better than he did against Portugal, and Gervais did have some moments (at least he wasn't red carded in the first 10 minutes). He actually made a really nice run in the first half. He played the ball into a good shooting position before somebody f@cked it.

Thanks for all the match reports from those who saw the match.

Sounds like Hutchinson is going to be our go-to guy in midfield for the Gold Cup. Using him in midfield instead of at right back weakens our defence, but am I the only one salivating about the possibilities of a Hutchinson-DeGuzman combo in central mid in the future?

With Hutchinson in the middle, it sounds like Braz got a shot at right back and had an uneven game. That's the trade-off of using Hutchinson in the middle, but perhaps the solution is to move Bernier to right back since he did such a good job back there after Gervais' sending off against Northern Ireland. Bernier was at left mid against Honduras but he won't be needed there in the Gold Cup since I'm sure we all agree that Brennan deserves to start.

Gervais and McKenna scare me at central D but, with Reda and Klukowski not available, we're stuck with them. McKenna has all the tools to be our next DeVos, he's young enough to still be in his prime for the next round of WCQ and he's finally moving to a better league where he'll be challenged to improve defensively, so I support Yallop playing him as much as possible (and the goals are a nice bonus.) As for Gervais, he has the whole Gold Cup tournament to prove he belongs. If he doesn't make the spot his own, I say give him the heave-ho and put Klukowski in there in the future. McKenna and Klukowski would be an awfully young central defence pairing, but we're building for 2008 now.

Nice to hear that Josh Simpson is still looking strong at left back. Jazic may find that his spot is gone when he gets his fitness back.

Right mid looks like our weak spot in the midfield. Our best option would be to put Bernier there (he started there against Northern Ireland but switched to right back after the sending off), but that would mean sticking with Braz at right back and I'd be a lot more comfortable with Bernier at the back instead. Another option could be Serioux, who started in the middle against Northern Ireland but switched to the right side after the sending off. However, I didn't care for Serioux's performance in that game, so the option I'd be most supportive of would be Hume. It may not be his natural position, but he'll work his arse off and add a potent offensive threat.

My starting 11 for the Gold Cup:

GK Sutton

RB Bernier

LB Simpson

CB McKenna

CB Gervais

DM Grande

RM Hume

LM Brennan

CM Hutchinson

ST Occean

ST DeRosario

There was almost zero advance publicity for the game so hardly surprising there was a poor turnout of spectators. As usual Honduran supporters seemed to outnumber Canadian supporters by two or three to one. No roster sheet, no introduction of players by name, need I say more. The Whitecaps put on a much better show and are much better organised for their regular USL league games and they get bigger crowds. This is one instance for sure where the CSA deserves some severe criticism.

It's just coming more and more apparent... Peters does not deserve to play on the full mens team. If he can't shine in the U20's.. then should he really be here? A player like Edgar definitely deserves it more, who is much more comfortable on the ball, has played at a higher level of play, and has been overseas longer, which has given him the opporunity to learn more about the game, defensively and offensively.

Hume plays right wing for Tranmere.

I feel that with Peters we're having a Stalteri scenario. Play him as much as possible and he'll end up stepping up to the task. Seems to be the only one willing to grab the #10 shirt...

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Hume plays right wing for Tranmere.

From what I've read from Tranmere fansites is that they like him much better at forward, but Brian Little sometimes plays him on the wing. Most fans think that is not the best position for him.

As for the Fans/attendance. I thought it was pretty good, 4103 at swangard (cap. 5700). Considering all the other events going on that day, PLUS I'm sure the many Vancouver fans who spent their $$ on GC tickets instead...

Also, those who say it was "three-to-two for honduran fans over canadian fans" are crazy. there were WAY more canadian fans, its just that the hondurans are way louder/colourful. They also seem to conjergate together in small colourful "pods" :)

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Yeah, don't you just hate those guys who seem to score consistantly. Especially the ones who just pull out of thin air.

Again, and again, and again.

Nope. That sort of rubbish Canada dose not need.

Thats all well and good but that tall awkward boy is more then shakey at the back. Is it really worth it have him at the back the whole game? Anytime a player with pace goes at Mckenna he trips on his own feet. The only role I can think to give the man is to make him the target-man when 10-15 minutes are left in a game, but Occean is probably a better option. But then again who do we really have as a better option for centre d? It seems as though if you are over 6feet tall Frank will put in at the back.

Canadas "style" of play is so frustrating, they jsut sit back and watch the other team pass and when we do finally get the ball we either boot it down the field or the defenders pass it amongst themselves until they get pressured and end up just booting the ball back to the other team. The only atacking option there appears to be is the speedy runs down the wing and set pieces. If Canada score without set pieces or if they happen to get more then 50% of the possession in the gold cup I will cream my jeans. And one final note damn you team chemistry, damn you to hell!

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

From what I've read from Tranmere fansites is that they like him much better at forward, but Brian Little sometimes plays him on the wing. Most fans think that is not the best position for him.

As for the Fans/attendance. I thought it was pretty good, 4103 at swangard (cap. 5700). Considering all the other events going on that day, PLUS I'm sure the many Vancouver fans who spent their $$ on GC tickets instead...

Also, those who say it was "three-to-two for honduran fans over canadian fans" are crazy. there were WAY more canadian fans, its just that the hondurans are way louder/colourful. They also seem to conjergate together in small colourful "pods" :)

"Also, those who say it was "three-to-two for honduran fans over canadian fans" are crazy."

Perception is everything in this business my friend. Each Honduran fan was worth two or more Canada fans in terms of their impact.

quote:Originally posted by maxG

No, make him the target man for 75-80 mins at least. Goals man, goals! He scores them. I don't give a rats a$$ how awkward he looks, then lad simply scores goals...Germany...Honduras...it don't matter who the opposition is he just gets it done. I think you are right that he could use a little more speed to play centre half regularly but you always always always have to put the guy that scores on the field. Always. If its not a law, it ought to be. Forward is where the young man belongs...

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I've always thought that McKenna should be upfront as a target

man similar to a Catliff or Kusch. As a back he was okay only

when paired with De Vos, but as the main centre back I'm still

not as convinced. Just a tad too slow for a quick forward, hence

a quick goal. I also would rather have Klukowski and Hutchinson

at back, but since our options are limited at the GC, I'm just

not too sure.

Just want to add a few things before people fear disaster of the MNT.

From all accounts, the team played relatively well despite the score.

However, this may just be the friendly that could underscore the

weaknesses and bring the adjustments we need to make.

Don't forget that before Gold Cup 2000, we had to play a qualification

series against Haiti, Cuba, and El Salvador. To prepare we played

a closed-door friendly against Saudi Arabia, losing 2-0. Before that

we lost to Ecuador and Iran in the Canada Cup. It didn't look good

then, but since hindsight is 20/20, you know what happened.

As for people berating Jamie Peters, we keep forgetting that he is

barely 18 years of age. He will eventually develop to a player, if

not a star, but we have to be patient.

As for the number of people showing up to support the other team,

well, get used to it. Until we show some success on the field,

we will not attract many people to come and support the team, compared

to our rivals. If you think that's bad, wait until you get to

Seattle or Boston. Our "amigos" will show up and we'll know what

Custer felt like.

As for having Tito Puente play at the match and inadvertedly inspire

the Catrachos, I really don't know what the CSA was thinking/smoking.

I guess all the Canadian acts were at Live 8 in Barrie ...

;)

hutchinson was amazing to watch...he is still so skinny its crazy...but i thought him and simpson were solid throughout...save for a few moments when simpson was getting the schoolboy treatment from the tougher hondurans...but he got stuck in and stuck a few good tackles...also..him and brennan linking up on the left wing is amazing!! brennan looked really good...he should be starting...no question in my mind...

quote:Originally posted by sj

we constant send bandaid squad to official tournaments and look just as the CSA is completely confused infront of the whole world about how the game is bieng played at the global level.

players coming off the European season is always going to ask for a rest and after that their club teams need them to prepare for the upcoming season yet the CSA keeps ignoring taking that into account when preparing our national team.

after the yet another WCQ failing campaign the emphasis should have been to prepare the team for the next tournament and beyong

they should have known that they might have to go with a mostly north American base squad and prepare the team early and consitently a decision that could have been taken very early and focus on the passing game and cohesion with the unit.

looks like the CSA relied heavily on the montreal impact to do most of the preparation instead of them taking the innitiative and give the players the kind of training opportunities to make sure that we just dont keep falling apart in a game.

we keep seeing last minutes tactics and preparation that does very little to improve collectivity on the field not much as far as continuity for the future except what we have seen so far with our various national teams, failure.

OS40024.JPG

quote:Originally posted by sj

OS40024.JPG

Archived