the World Cup on Sportsnet...

littleD

Here's hoping that the World Cup will warrant a 30-minute pre-match show, which increases the odds it will start on time. Also, I believe TLN will have non-English rights to broadcast some matches (possibly some overlaps), so that will encourage Sportsnet to (finally) go live.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Also, I believe TLN will have non-English rights to broadcast some matches (possibly some overlaps), so that will encourage Sportsnet to (finally) go live.

Interestingly, at this time it is Sportsnet that owns the English, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Cantonese and Mandarin rights.

I don't know, Sportsnet seems to like that 5-10 minute delay. They even broadcast the Rugby World Cup Final with that delay. When Jonny Wilkenson kicked that last minute drop goal in the last final, my neighbour got a call from an excited rugby buddy in the UK, but he didn't know what his friend was talking about since Sportsnet hadn't reached that moment yet. Kind of spoilt the moment and very annoying. No excuse for it in the 21st century!

The 5-10 minute delay (7 actually, IIRC) is there to add their own on-screen ads (those top corner ones-they cover the US or foreign ones if it's not their own feed), edit announcers comments and such.

For example. Saturday morning match being broadcast. They mention the score of the game being shown at 12:30. Sportsnet now has 7 minutes to edit out that comment, while keeping the crowd noise. The fans don't notice a thing...

/be glad you get it

//stop bitching about 5-10 minutes

///turn your damn interweb off if you really don't want to know if that tackle you just saw actually did get a yellow card.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

The 5-10 minute delay (7 actually, IIRC) is there to add their own on-screen ads (those top corner ones-they cover the US or foreign ones if it's not their own feed), edit announcers comments and such.

For example. Saturday morning match being broadcast. They mention the score of the game being shown at 12:30. Sportsnet now has 7 minutes to edit out that comment, while keeping the crowd noise. The fans don't notice a thing...

Hmmm... something not right there. First of all, the match they show at 12:30 doesn't even start until the 10:00a match is long over. Secondly, in the U.S. where that 10:00a match really is live, scores of other matches that also started at 10:00a are not mentioned either. So assuming that the commentators are the same for Sportsnet as the ones I hear here, Sportsnet doesn't do any editing of this kind.

The WC should be different since most of the games begin at 45 past the hour. Hence, they can have their little intro and pre-game commercials provided they begin their broadcast no later than 30 past the hour.

One of these days, I am going to write an email to one of those TV/media critics as a suggestion for a story. This practise is very annoying and deceptive and its hidden from the public. I tend to view anything less than a live broadcast in the same way as a counterfeit or fake product. TV sports is supposed to be real drama!. Unlike a movie, TV show or any other form of entertainment. We watch because be cant be there and TV is supposed next best thing to being there. Its not quite the same is it when you have delays in the feed. The drama cannot be sustained if you tape delay or show events 5-10 or 15 minute delay. Whats next? 30 minute delay? In that case, I'll be better off following the match tracker instead. If if we end following the mactch tracker or radio, it would be long before our interest in the whole evnt dies altogether.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

One of these days, I am going to write an email to one of those TV/media critics as a suggestion for a story. This practise is very annoying and deceptive and its hidden from the public. I tend to view anything less than a live broadcast in the same way as a counterfeit or fake product. TV sports is supposed to be real drama!. Unlike a movie, TV show or any other form of entertainment. We watch because be cant be there and TV is supposed next best thing to being there. Its not quite the same is it when you have delays in the feed. The drama cannot be sustained if you tape delay or show events 5-10 or 15 minute delay. Whats next? 30 minute delay? In that case, I'll be better off following the match tracker instead. If if we end following the mactch tracker or radio, it would be long before our interest in the whole evnt dies altogether.

Isn't that a little dramatic? I'm confused as to how the "drama cannot be sustained" on a 5 minute delayed broadcast!? Or even 5 hour delay for that matter. If you're following match trackers (which BTW isn't 'LIVE' either) instead of a 30-minute delayed TV broadcast, then you're really missing-out on the drama.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Oh, sweet Jesus. You're that upset over 5 fricking minutes?

/or 7, whatever.

It Should be very interesting on how Sportsnet covers the 2006 FIFA World Cup.

There are some advantages it does have over TSN, in a sense that Rogers has 4 regional channels, and Rogers could maximize it's potential in showing maxiumum 4 live games (highly unlikely, but you never know).

However I do have a question. Would Rogers Sportsnet want to sell some games to other networks (i.e. CBC for the final, or Telelatino) to recoup some of the costs.

Jury is out on this one, considering Rogers isnt in as many homes as TSN. I am just curiuous if this will be the beggining of Rogers even going after the UEFA Champions League rights in the near future.

It Should be very interesting on how Sportsnet covers the 2006 FIFA World Cup.

There are some advantages it does have over TSN, in a sense that Rogers has 4 regional channels, and Rogers could maximize it's potential in showing maxiumum 4 live games (highly unlikely, but you never know).

However I do have a question. Would Rogers Sportsnet want to sell some games to other networks (i.e. CBC for the final, or Telelatino) to recoup some of the costs.

Jury is out on this one, considering Rogers isnt in as many homes as TSN. I am just curiuous if this will be the beggining of Rogers even going after the UEFA Champions League rights in the near future.

Archived