Italy names u20 squad

Soccerfan9

Under 20

WORLD CUP IN HOLLAND

FROM JUNE 12TH TO JULY 2ND

ITALY DEBUTS

AGAINST COLOMBIA

Rome 10/05/2005

The Under 20 team coached by Paolo Berrettini will participate in the World Cup that will held in Holland from June 12th to July 2nd. Colombia, Syria and Canada are with Italy in group E. The first match scheduled is between Italy and Colombia at the "Willem II" stadium in Tilburg (5:30 pm local time), on Sunday June 12th; on Wednesday, the 15th, the Under team will play against Syria (8:30 pm, "Willem II" stadium) and on Saturday, the 18th, against Canada at the "Parkstad Limburg" stadium in Kerkrade (1:30 pm).

A very important appointment for the national team coached by Paolo Berrettini that came in only third in the "Four Nations tournament that they had won twice in the previous editions.

The federal coach has just over a month to prepare and organize the group, starting Friday, June 3rd, in Rome at the "La Borghesiana" sports center.

Paolo Berrettini released the temporary list of 30 players, that will become 21 on May 27th when the final list is handed in:

Goalkeepers: Curci (Roma), Padelli (Sampdoria), Viviano (Cesena), Virgili (Parma)

Defenders: Battaglia (Torino), Canini (Sambenedettese), Coda (Empoli), D'Agostino Andrea (Foggia), Dellafiore (Spezia), Di Dio (Ternana), Galuppo (Parma), Rossettini (Padova), Teoldi (Lumezzane), Zambelli (Brescia);

Midfielders: Agnelli (Catanzaro), Aquilanti (Fiorentina), Bentivoglio (Juventus), Carotti (Como), Esposito (Siena), De Martino (Bellinzona), Galloppa (Triestina), Montolivo (Atalanta), Nocerino (Catanzaro), Troiano (Modena);

Forwards: Alberti (Sambenedettese), Cozzolino (Lecce), D'Agostino Giuseppe (Piacenza), Defendi (Atalanta), Nieto (Piacenza), Pellè (Catania).

You'd have to follow Italian soccer extremely closely to know those names. GK Curci, however, should be recognizable to anyone who's seen any Roma matches in the second half of the season. He's only 19 but has done extremely well in Serie A. Roma are in a huge slump but Curci was very good, if not spectacular, in all the matches I've seen over that stretch.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

You'd have to follow Italian soccer extremely closely to know those names. GK Curci, however, should be recognizable to anyone who's seen any Roma matches in the second half of the season. He's only 19 but has done extremely well in Serie A. Roma are in a huge slump but Curci was very good, if not spectacular, in all the matches I've seen over that stretch.

Esposito (Siena), Montolivo (Atalanta), Bentivoglio (Juventus)Alberti (Sambenedettese), Cozzolino (Lecce), D'Agostino Giuseppe (Piacenza), Defendi (Atalanta) are also some players that will be for sure in Holland and very promising for serie a or serie b next year. You will see them in line ups next year occassionally as Subs and some as starters!!

Montolivo is already a starter in Atalanta's first team if I'm not mistaken. I was reading on the internet that he does not want to take part in the WYC. I beleive it was in the gazzetta (national sports daily newspaper). Can you confirm this Alberto? Does Defendi play with Lombardo or is he on the first team?

quote:Originally posted by Soccerfan9

Montolivo is already a starter in Atalanta's first team if I'm not mistaken. I was reading on the internet that he does not want to take part in the WYC. I beleive it was in the gazzetta (national sports daily newspaper). Can you confirm this Alberto? Does Defendi play with Lombardo or is he on the first team?

Yes Montolivo is a regular has had 29 appearances and 3 goals for the first squad, Defendi however has two appearance I believe it was Feb 20th 42 minuted & April 23rd against Palermo came in as a Sub in the 32 second minute.

I don't show that Montolivo is not willing to take part with the under 20 as he always has with the under 21, so I would expect him to be there with his team-mate Defendi. These are two player and others I mentioned that will almost likely will be there after all said and done.

yes of course Defendi is a reg starter for the primavera, Lombardo has had some games with him but in as a sub for sure I would think Lombardo will take over his role next year squad and you will see of more of Lombardo as a regular starter. He is one year younger

Going to be a tough team to beat. I think they'll be the ones pressing for the points though, after an opening loss to Colombia, and we'll catch them on the counter with the pace of Peeters and DeJong and Lill Will.

De Martino is the player who went missing from Roma right before he was going to turn professional. There were rumours that he was going to end up signing with Arsenal. But then out of nowhere he was signed by Swiss club Bellinzona. He did make 5 appearances in Serie A this year for Roma.

quote:Originally posted by canso

Going to be a tough team to beat. I think they'll be the ones pressing for the points though, after an opening loss to Colombia, and we'll catch them on the counter with the pace of Peeters and DeJong and Lill Will.

There is still much work and preparation the Canada team has to do before you count ducks. These players are class players I mentioned and top prospects for many Serie A teams next year. Please do not compare these players you mentioned with ones I have above your only kidding yourself....

The Canadian team will do fine and will go further then expected for many. In fact I predicted they would finish 2nd in their group and maybe tie Italy in their game and if they should win they could finish in first. Which is something they should be proud of. However when it comes to the heart of things in the final 8, there is the difference between young players don't have many caps and players that play 35 matches in a season the difference will show.

The only advantage Canada has going into this tournament is they have nothing to lose and play with heart and pride. And sometimes that can take you further then experience as they did in Honduras but the difference here is that competition is tougher and more experience on the field of play.

Over here we count our chickens, not ducks. :)

I would not suggest to compare them directly, as the level they are competing at is very different.

But then again the Korean league is not even close to Serie A, and we all know what happened there in 2002!

Remember that game Alberto?

I would not suggest to compare them directly, as the level they are competing at is very different.

But then again the Korean league is not even close to Serie A, and we all know what happened there in 2002!

Yes very well it was a shame but Koren where better prepared and by far a better team then Italy, However please remember the Korean Mister was offered 1,000.000 dollars to get the Job done they trained endlessly for 1 year prior to 2002 and as a team day in and day out.

My understanding is he only would take the Job if had complete control of the team as to who comes and who goes. In fact 4 players from the original squad where dismissed some for just being late, conduct on the field, and one other one because he did have full uniform on during practice and one for just looking at the mister the wrong way.

So count your chickens, I will count my ducks, besides ducks taste better specially Barbque Peking Duck.

I know your not comparing but there are others players too Lombardo, Uccello, Hughes, Edgar these are some players I feel are important and can offer lots of expereince up front and in the back as they have shown this past year and previous years with their squads.

I am just stating a fact. Experience, preparation, goes a long way.

Yes very well it was a shame but Koren where better prepared and by far a better team then Italy, However please remember the Korean Mister was offered 1,000.000 dollars to get the Job done they trained endlessly for 1 year prior to 2002 and as a team day in and day out.

My understanding is he only would take the Job if had complete control of the team as to who comes and who goes. In fact 4 players from the original squad where dismissed some for just being late, conduct on the field, and one other one because he did have full uniform on during practice and one for just looking at the mister the wrong way.

So count your chickens, I will count my ducks, besides ducks taste better specially Barbque Peking Duck.

I know your not comparing but there are others players too Lombardo, Uccello, Hughes, Edgar these are some players I feel are important and can offer lots of expereince up front and in the back as they have shown this past year and previous years with their squads.

I am just stating a fact. Experience, preparation, goes a long way.

Mister Mitchell won't get a million dollar bonus cheque, be made an honorary citizen, given a Hyundai and a bevy of women of lesiure... I doubt if the CSA would even pick up the cheque at a Korean restaurant...but he will have his boys prepared to run and press and fight until the end.

Which is all I ask.

And hey, if he does beat the Italians, I'll buy him all the Peking BBQ duck he can eat!

But don't mind me Alberto, in the words of a Canadian rock icon, "I'm a lot of feathers and not much chicken."

• 3 weeks later...

Originally posted by Alberto - 06/02/2005 : 22:15:21</u>

Here are the list of players that have been confirmed for the Italy Under 20 for Holland

Portieri: Padelli (Sampdoria), Virgili (Parma), Viviano (Cesena);

Difensori: Battaglia (Torino), Canini (Sambenedettese), Coda (Empoli), D'Agostino (Foggia), Di Dio (Ternana), Marzoratti (Milan);

Centrocampisti: Agnelli (Catanzaro), Aquilanti (Fiorentina), Bentivoglio (Juventus), Carotti (Como), De Martino (Bellinzona), Galloppa (Triestina), Nocerino (Catanzaro), Troiano (Modena);

Attaccanti: Cozzolino (Lecce), Defendi (Atalanta), Nieto (Piacenza), Pellè (Catania).

The significant drop from the preliminary list is Roma goalkeeper Gianluca Curci. He has been promoted to the U21 team for their match at Norway on Friday and will even join the full national team for their WCQ match at Norway on Saturday, but surely Roma also want him for their Coppa Italia finals on June 12 and 15. Montolivo, the only other Serie A regular from the preliminary list and one of the players Alberto highlighted, was also dropped and is on the U21 roster. I don't know what happened to the other omissions. The one newcomer that wasn't on the preliminary list is Marzoratti.

The players will convene on Sunday and travel to the Netherlands on Monday. They've set up their training schedule but do not appear to have any friendlies scheduled.

The expectations of this team are lower than what we would normally expect (ie. win it all) of an Italian national team. Coach Berrettini is talking about aiming to get past the first round and then see what happens from there. He says he has to rely on leftover players, many of whom are mentally and physically still focussed on their clubs (where they will be allowed to stay through this weekend's matches), and has had little preparation with his team (their series of friendlies ended a month ago). Overall it just seems that this team has not been given any priority.

these are the players that wil not be attending the holland tournament due to the clubs agendas.

Goalkeepers: Curci (Roma),

Defenders: , Dellafiore (Spezia), Galuppo (Parma), Rossettini (Padova), Teoldi (Lumezzane), Zambelli (Brescia);

Midfielders: Esposito (Siena), Montolivo (Atalanta),

Forwards: Alberti (Sambenedettese), .

Looks like a weakened team Alberto!

"mentally and physically still focussed on their clubs"

They'll be too busy worrying about how they look on camera to play hard. Sweat and Brylcreem don't mix well kids.:)

Looks like a weakened team Alberto!

"mentally and physically still focussed on their clubs"

They'll be too busy worrying about how they look on camera to play hard. Sweat and Brylcreem don't mix well kids.:)

do be fooled by the comments made by the mister, they are not there to have fun and look pretty these are good players regardless who is there or not.

Just add these players most of them in the line up are earning well over 100,000 and up 300,000 euros contracts they can afford to get some attention on camera and buy some gel or moose.

thats why they are didicated to their clubs would you not too!

Anyone going to this one?! I just found out today that i have tickets and im going with a group of about 9 Canadians from the Nato base here in belgium, and there will likely be a bunch more comin from the base in Germany. It'd be cool to meet some of you voyageurs!

It may just be kidology from the Mister, but the fact is he's lost his best players and the Italians have never done very well at this level.

I smell an upset on the cards!

You have to know why they have not done well in the past, this year team is quite different more preparation and more balance team back to front the only down fall is the goalie.

They are stronger this year then in most in the past, as there preperation for this up coming dates are have been very different, more energy and money has been spent then previuos years. In fact, I see it that Italy is more better prepared then all of the teams in this group.

Archived