Italy names u20 squad

Soccerfan9

quote:Originally posted by footyfanatic01

And what do you think of Canada's chances? Other then then Ucello, do you think Dale has done a good job with picking this side? Are we "prepared" like the Italians are...I myself fancy a 0-0 draw with Italy, a 1-0 win over Syria, and a 1-0 loss to Colombia.

I am a firm believer experience goes a long saying this of course I will root for the Azzurri and I will attend all of their matches in Holland. I expect a the best for Canada in their matches is 4 to 5 goals tops in the three games and based on stats 6 - to 8 goals against.

How they get their wins is not important. They can win and tie and lose, and still qualify for the 3rd spot in these 3 games, but the key to get into the next round of 16 and it will be goals for and goals against and they will fail to achieve it I believe.

however if you are asking me to predict and score I feel Canada will fall short of preparation and experience of the Italians and the Columbia team. Finishing third, if they do not win big against Syria. and if they should lose or draw to Syria its over for them in the first game of the tournament. Regardless of what Columbia does or Italy does in their game. They must win the first game or it over and they must win with lots of goals! Realistically I see it this way

Canada vs Syria 2-1 or draw 1-1

Columbia vs Canada 4- 1 or a 3 - 1 not even close game.

Canada vs Italy. Italy to advance just with a tie for 2nd or 1st for the win. In this game just I agree a draw 1-1. the most I see Canada is 4 points after all said and done with a plus minus of -2 to a - 3 that unfortunately would not be enough for the 3 rd spot.

Sorry if I offend thee. these are just based on facts and stats if I was a gambler

quote:Originally posted by DJT

The expectations of this team are lower than what we would normally expect (ie. win it all) of an Italian national team. Coach Berrettini is talking about aiming to get past the first round and then see what happens from there.

Perhaps, the expectations are low and this won't be the best possible team. But, unless I am mistaken, this team was the top qualifier coming out of UEFA. The 2003 Under-19 UEFA championships was won by Italy and it was that event ( I believe) that determined the qualifiers for this event.

I think yr mistaken. I believe Italy was the last qualifier. They drew the Swiss 1-1, lost to Ukraine 1-0. Then they beat Belgium 4-0 in a game where the Belgians were down to nine men. Mind you the goal-scorers in that games - Alberti, Sorrentino and Montolivo - all aren't in the final team.

I respect this Italian team because they have a lot of players involved with top clubs, some of which are starters and they've been together playing prep games and they have a good soccer culture, but I think we can beat them.

In their Four Nations friendlies they lost 3-1 and 2-0 to the Swiss, lost 1-0 and drew 0-0 with Germany and beat Austria 2-0 and drew them 1-1. They also lost to Malta 3-1 in January and beat Russia 2-0.

Mixed results to be sure, but there's nothing in there that makes me think a Canada win is unreasonable and the more I read about Syria, the more I think Italy might be our best shot at points.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I came across this recently.

http://www.uefa.com/Competitions/Under19/CompetitionInfo/index.html

My recollection seems to be the same as your. That explain why I expressed uncertainty in my points. But on the other hand the caption in the above link, states that they won it all.

I believe those are the current U21s. That's the 03 U19s, so I believe they would be mostly 84s, whereas the current U20s are almost all 85s. . . . Italian teams apparently focus on the odd-year teams, like 19s, 21s, etc.

I could be wrong though.

cheers,

matthew

Matthew is right, Italy won the 2003 U-19's, which were not WYC Qualifiers. The qualifiers for the present WYC in Holland was the 2004 Euro U-19's:

http://www.fifa.com/en/news/feature/0,1451,102292,00.html

The confusion comes from the fact that the U-19's in Europe are yearly events, and it is only the even-yeared championships which serve as WYC qualifiers. To add to the confusion, we are still in the middles of the 2005 U-19 Euro Championships (played often at the same time as the senior teams play) , which will not be decided until July 29:

http://www.uefa.com/Competitions/Under19/FixturesResults/index.html

quote:Originally posted by matthew

Italian teams apparently focus on the odd-year teams, like 19s, 21s, etc.

Yeah, that should be the case with all European countries, given that UEFA championships are held in the U21, U19 and U17 categories.

Archived