Lars Hirschfeld & Dylan Hughes

PSG

Read on BBC yesterday that Leicester are releasing Ian Walker at the end of the season as a cost-cutting measure. Looks like Lars will be number 1 there next season. Also, is Dylan Hughes actually Canadian? I'm currently playing as the Canadian national team manager on Football Manager 2005 and found Dylan in Germany. He's down as Welsh with his 2nd nationality being Canadian. He committed to Wales and won't let me call him up?!

Here's some news from the local press (Leicester Mercury)

Talent Hunt

by BILL ANDERSON

9 May 2005

Craig Levein hopes to bring in up to six new players in the summer to give Leicester City the best possible chance of making next season a promotion campaign.

Yesterday's dismal closing draw at Plymouth underlined the task he faces if his squad are to be competitive in the Championship.

Even though there was nothing at stake, the City manager wanted to see more from his men.

But the performance just increased his determination to strengthen his squad in every position.

Levein said: "I hope to bring in at least four, maybe six, new players by the time we start pre-season.

"That is in addition to Patrick Kisnorbo and Jani Sturm who we already have signed on pre-contracts.

"So there are definitely going to be a lot more changes and that means more will be going as well as more arriving.''

Levein was bitterly disappointed by the Home Park display and he commented wryly: "I said when I first came to the club that at worst we would hope to get a draw.

"Well, that was definitely an example!

"It was a disappointing end to what has been a disappointing season.

"We feel we should have been higher up the table but, after the last game, maybe it was about right.

"Now we will hope to have a stronger squad when we report back for pre-season training in July.''

Levein is not yet able to discuss terms with James Scowcroft who will be needed by Ipswich for their involvement in the promotion play-offs.

However, City believe that his loan will end after the two semi-final legs.

Levein said: "I had hoped to discuss it with him this week but now I will have to wait until Ipswich are finished with the semis.''

Jason Wilcox's future has also to be decided with talks this week.

But the clear hint from Levein is that even some of those still under contract may be discarded to make way for the new blood he clearly feels the squad needs for next season.

From the Leicester official site:

Hirschfeld Pleased With Debut

Lars Hirschfeld was delighted to keep a clean-sheet on his Leicester City first-team debut.

The Canadian international goalkeeper was installed into the starting line-up at Plymouth Argyle on Sunday following manager Craig Levein's decision to release Ian Walker at the end of the season.

And the 26-year-old did not disappoint with a competent display as the Foxes came away from Home Park with a point.

It was the shotstopper's first start since arriving at the Walkers Stadium in January on a short-term contract until the end of the season.

"After I had got over the early nerves and first few wayward kicks I was pleased with my debut and I really enjoyed it," he said. "It was great.

"I'll take the clean sheet, will take the couple of crosses I pulled out of the air and I'll take the second half display.

"The second half was great for me."

Sunday's encounter had a typical end-of-season feel to it with both teams already having cemented their place in the Championship for next term.

However, Hirschfeld insisted that his side, who ended the campaign in 15th spot, had gone out to secure all three points.

He added: "Both sides were really fighting to get all three points but unfortunately sometimes games can turn out that way where they just peter out into draws.

"But the support we received on the day was fantastic."

Hirschfeld had been forced to watch his team-mates from the bench and stands prior to Sunday afternoon.

But he was handed his chance at the weekend and hopes he did enough to impress the management team.

He said: "When you play behind Ian Walker I think you have always got to bide your time.

"Ian's a quality and proven goalkeeper and has played in the Premiership.

But when you get your chance you have got to take it."

And Hirschfeld, formerly with Tottenham and Dundee United, would consider a longer stay at the Walkers Stadium if the opportunity arose.

"I have enjoyed it here but I have got to wait and see what happens," he added.

"I wish I had played a little more but I knew I'd be a back-up to Ian Walker when I joined.

"Who knows what is going to happen, we will just have to wait and see."

quote:Originally posted by PSG

Read on BBC yesterday that Leicester are releasing Ian Walker at the end of the season as a cost-cutting measure. Looks like Lars will be number 1 there next season. Also, is Dylan Hughes actually Canadian? I'm currently playing as the Canadian national team manager on Football Manager 2005 and found Dylan in Germany. He's down as Welsh with his 2nd nationality being Canadian. He committed to Wales and won't let me call him up?!

Near the beginning of the game, you can cap Dylan Hughes and Dani Fernandes (And Simon Lynch and Alain Rochat)if you're careful. Keep them on a shortlist and keep trying to add them to your squad. Some or all will eventually come around. Hughes is a tricky one because he often gets capped by Wales right away.

I'm surprised I haven't heard a Craig Gordon to Leicester rumour. I guess it's a step back for him, depending on his perspective. Regardless, I'd be very surprised to see Lars in the starting eleven come August.

Thanks for the excellent tip! I will definitely keep an eye on Alain Rochat. I have called Simon Lynch into the National Pool and will see how I go. Another player with a 2nd nationality of Canadian who is eligible to play in Kevin Sharpe at S****horpe United.:)

Archived