quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Hey Saul, great to see ya back!:)

Yeah, hi Saul!

From CP/canada.com:

Pellerud announces roster for Canadian women's soccer team camp

Neil Davidson

Canadian Press

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

(CP) - Canadian women's soccer coach Even Pellerud, looking to put a disappointing 2004 behind him, has chosen a young squad for his first camp of the new year.

The 22-woman roster for the Jan. 20-30 camp in Vancouver features 10 players from the under-19 pool including Kara Lang and Brittany Timko, who starred at the world under-19 championship in Thailand in the fall. It also features Notre Dame star forward Katie Thorlakson, who elected to skip Thailand to focus on school and the Fighting Irish's successful NCAA title run.

Returning veterans include star striker Christine Sinclair and defenders Randee Hermus and Isabelle Morneau, who have 188 caps between them.

Also back is 27-year-old midfielder Amy Walsh, a former captain of the squad. Walsh has played 56 times for Canada at the senior level, but has not added to that total since November 2002.

Also earning an invitation to camp is W-League MVP Kelly Parker of the Ottawa Fury.

"A very talented, skilful player," Pellerud said from Vancouver. "I'm still looking to her taking another step in terms of being consistent. And last season was a really good season for her."

As is his want, Pellerud has injected new blood with defender Vonya Beckles, a 15-year-old from Toronto who plays for the Unionville Strikers 87's.

Beckles caught Pellerud's eye at an under-15 camp out east. She was invited to the under-19 camp before Thailand and almost made the final roster and was only left off due because of numbers not talent, according to Pellerud.

"A very raw talent, very athletic," said Pellerud. "Very fast."

Canada's senior side all but shut down last year after unexpectedly failing to qualify for the Athens Olympics.

The coach noted he left some people off the roster, to save them for future camps.

Some are unavailable for other reasons. Captain Charmaine Hooper, meanwhile, is expecting a baby while goalkeepers Karina LeBlanc and Erin McLeod and veteran midfielder Andrea Neil are all injured. Under-19 'keeper Stacey VanBoxmeer is focusing on school.

Neil will be at camp as a member of the coaching staff.

The women's team already has a four-game series scheduled against world No. 1 Germany, with two games in April on the road and one each in Edmonton and Vancouver in early September.

More opponents are to be announced later, with several trips to Europe planned. Pellerud hopes to play 10 to 13 games in 2005, despite the fact that there are no tournaments on tap.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Can you believe there are two players in this camp for the senior squad that were born in 1989? That blows my mind. I remember being freaked out when I learned that people born in the 80s were allowed into bars. [:P]

Actually, while this camp is being called a "senior camp", its more like a "combine" camp. I believe that Coach Bridge had x-amount of spots to call in some of the younger players into camp to be evaluated etc. But, either way, it'll be great experience for them.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Can you believe there are two players in this camp for the senior squad that were born in 1989? That blows my mind. I remember being freaked out when I learned that people born in the 80s were allowed into bars. [:P]

Actually, while this camp is being called a "senior camp", its more like a "combine" camp. I believe that Coach Bridge had x-amount of spots to call in some of the younger players into camp to be evaluated etc. But, either way, it'll be great experience for them.

quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

10-13 games on tap when will the man play 10-13 games in a year?

So far there are 7 games "confirmed".

Three games in April (Two in Germany, one in Montreal vs. France), two games in May (vs. Sweden and Denmark in Europe) and two in September (vs. Germany in Van/Edm).

quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

10-13 games on tap when will the man play 10-13 games in a year?

Three games in April (Two in Germany, one in Montreal vs. France), two games in May (vs. Sweden and Denmark in Europe) and two in September (vs. Germany in Van/Edm).

quote:Originally posted by Elaine

Great stuff. Do your sources say whether there are any games in Central America in the works?

Archived