Canadians abroad: January 14-20, 2005

DJT

Brennan: We'll fight all the way

Link here

Jim Brennan was today rolling up his sleeves and fastening the chinstrap on his tin hat ready to dig in, in anticipation of the battle of the basement boys.

The Canadian international has found a new lease of life at Norwich City, in no small part due to the massive injury crisis at Carrow Road, but is desperate to keep a grip on his first team place and is ready to go the extra mile in the Canary cause.

The 27-year-old is confident that City have what it takes to stay up, but expects the matter of relegation to be fought out tooth and nail between the Premiership's current bottom four.

"Yeah, it was very frustrating they came out fast and strong and were at us right from the word go and they played very well. Their movement was fantastic and at times we found it very difficult to keep up with them," confessed Brennan candidly in the wake of the 3-0 defeat by Aston Villa.

"When that first goal went in and it took a deflection you say 'well what could we have done about that'.

"Then they go and get another goal and from there you are always chasing the game and it's always going to be tough to come back.

"But we will just have to prepare and get ready for the next game and knuckle down.

"It knocks you back but everybody else down the bottom has lost so we're still in the bottom group, but we are trying to get out. Come Monday the boys will be back bouncing in and getting ready for Middlesbrough," he added.

Brennan, who in the first half against Villa worked on the left side of a central midfield trio and in the second-half as out and out central midfielder alongside Damien Francis, is relishing the task ahead and is hopeful that the tide will turn, and soon.

He declared: "I think it will come soon and come the end of the season we will be fine. If you didn't think like that then you shouldn't be at the club. We have got a good work ethic, always work hard and that should help see us through.

"If we could just get an early goal then I think we will go on to make an impression and we will do okay.

"It's just finding it at the moment as we'll take anything, whether it's a deflection or whatever and I'm sure that when we do the confidence will be buzzing and we'll be able to move on.

"I caught one well but it was blocked and another sight on goal earlier on. I have had a couple of chances in the last two games and hopefully one will come off for me soon.

"I am enjoying it, that's what you want to do, whether it be at left back, left midfield, I am easy, as long as I am playing," added Brennan.

And Brennan was confident that the belief was still present in the squad especially on the back of £3 million signing Dean Ashton's arrival, who he fully expects to deliver the goods given time.

"It would have been nice for him to have scored in the other end but I am sure that it will happen and soon," said Brennan.

"He's a good player to have and I think that we needed that. Someone big up front, who can control the ball and is good in the air."

Archived