Canada v. Thailand (R)

Massive Attack

Women's Under-19 Team

Saturday, November 13, 2004

Canada Thumps Hosts 7-0

Bangkok, Thailand – Canada’s Women’s U19 National Team defeated host nation Thailand this evening 7-0 in front of a raucous crowd of 5,000 at the National Stadium in Bangkok. With the towering skyline of ‘The City of Angels’ as a backdrop, Canada physically dominated the encounter for the entire ninety minutes and now set up a mouth-watering encounter with Germany for top spot in Group A in three days.

Brampton’s Tanya Dennis started the rout twelve minutes into the contest when a driven corner off the boot of Veronique Maranda (St-Lambert, QC) found the University of Nebraska based midfielder stationed at the six yard box. Dennis out jumped two Thai defenders and powered home her header for what would eventually serve as the match winner.

Dennis’ Cornhusker teammate, Brittany Timko (Coquitlam, BC), added to her tournament leading five goals, scoring twice in the first half and again seventeen minutes after the interval.

Fifteen year-old Jodi-Anne Robinson opened her 2004 FIFA World Championship account in minute 34 after she toe-poked home Canada’s third of the evening. Robinson and the Thai goalkeeper collided at the right corner of the six-yard box and both players tumbled to the ground. The Richmond, BC product was first to pick herself up off the turf to score perhaps the easiest of her budding International career.

Maranda added her name to the score sheet almost immediately after the halftime break when her long shot from 35 yards was horrendously misplayed by the Thai ‘keeper and bounced in for Canada’s fifth. Maranda then turned provider shortly after when she mesmerized two Thai’s in the middle of the field then slipped a slide-rule pass to a streaking Aysha Jamani. The Calgary native coolly rounded the onrushing keeper and netted her first of tournament.

Canada then went searching for more but that proved elusive and when the final whistle blew, the Canucks were left joint leaders on points in Group A, but second in goal differential to group counterparts Germany.

“I am very happy with the result because it now guarantees us a Quarterfinal berth,” said Canadian Head Coach Ian Bridge following his team’s victory.

“I think we played quite well throughout the match and in the end were probably too direct and too strong for Thailand despite our opponents organization. Our next job is to try and win the group but that will mean beating a very talented German team, and that is always a difficult task.”

Canada will now need to take full points against Germany in their final opening round match on November 16th in Bangkok if they hope to win the group.

Saturday, November 13, 2004

FIFA U19 Women’s World Championship – First Round – Group A

Supachalasai Stadium

Bangkok, THAILAND

Attendance: 5,000

CANADA – 7 (4)

THAILAND – 0 (0)

Goals: CANADA – DENNIS Tanya 12’; TIMKO Brittany 26’, 36’, 57’; ROBINSON Jodi-Anne 34’; MARANDA Veronique 47’; JAMAMI Aysha 56’; THAILAND – none.

Cautions: CANADA – none; THAILAND – SEESRAUM Junpen 46’; MAIJARERN Anootsara 66’

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

I think if Sydney was to tie her hair in a bunny she will get more speed.

Funny :)

After the 7'th goal I got the impression Canada was still working to put themselves in scoring positions but not even really trying to finish. It even crossed my mind that they were missing on purpose.

Archived