Tyler Hughes

jordan

FROM SKY SPORTS

Quakers trial Canadian

Darlington have taken Canadian international centre back Tyler Hughes on trial with the League Two club.

The 23-year-old arrives at the Williamson Motors Stadium after finishing his season in North America with A-League side Toronto Lynx.

The Victoria, British Columbia native can play either in the centre of the backline or on the left-hand side of midfield and has represented his country at both Under-20 and Under-23 levels.

The tall defender also appeared in the Canada 'B' squad that played English Championship side Millwall and Scottish Premier League club Hearts in pre-season friendlies this summer in Vancouver.

The player's Canadian-based agent, Barry MacLean, told skysports.com that Hughes has the ability to play in English football.

"He's quick and is a good passer of the ball," said MacLean.

"(Canada boss) Frank Yallop is very keen on him and feels it is very important that he gets some professional experience."

Quakers boss David Hodgson is keen to strengthen his defensive options after losing both Curtis Fleming and Joey Hutchinson to knee injuries.

Meanwhile, midfielder Adrian Webster has signed one-month deal with The Quakers following a successful trial with the club.

The New Zealand-born player was initially brought to England by Charlton boss Alan Curbishley in 1998 and had spells at Colchester United, Margate and Maidstone.

Another trialist that has impressed Hodgson is Leeds United winger Jason St Juste following a successful appearance in the club's reserves last week.

I, for one, am glad for Tyler. I really enjoyed what I saw from him over the past two years, especially when he played as a defender. Best of luck!

Now, if we could just find a way to get rid of that Ali Gerba guy and Joe Mattacchione fellow, the Lynx could play in the CPSL next season.:)

He wouldn't be the only North American with Darlington as Adolpho Gregorio of the US just signed on recently with the Quakers. It's great that he gets this chance.

Is it just me or has this B team friendly really opened up a lot of doors for the Canadians. It's possible Milwall and Hearts officials spread the word about some Canadians to contacts throughout the leagues. For these clubs it could be a great place to mine talent.

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

Is it just me or has this B team friendly really opened up a lot of doors for the Canadians. It's possible Milwall and Hearts officials spread the word about some Canadians to contacts throughout the leagues. For these clubs it could be a great place to mine talent.

Agreed that the Millwall & Hearts friendlies seem to have opened alot of doors, and in many ways have been the most productive friendlies we have had in recent memory. Simpson, Serioux, Peters, and perhaps Hughes will all be signed in Europe. Three cheers to the BC Soccer Association for hosting the matches.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Can. in UK

From a local paper:

Canadian defender Tyler Hughes could be the latest overseas player to sign for Darlington - but not until Christmas.

The Toronto Lynx star impressed for the reserves at Huddersfield yesterday, despite a 2-0 defeat, but is not available until the transfer window at the end of the year.

Assistant manager Mark Proctor said: "We wanted to have a look at him now, to stake our claim if we felt he could add something to our squad.

"He certainly did well enough to be worth considering."

Archived