Canadians abroad: September 24-30, 2004

DJT

WARNING POSTING SCORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Bramen are tied with Velencia 1-1 @ home Stalteri has one shot on goal one shot blocked and also has been given a yellow. accroding to UEFA.com................ 74' Stalteri (Bremen) is shown a yellow card. The Canadian falls to the floor in the penalty area under a challenge from Baraja and is booked for diving.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't worry, you are allowed to post scores in the Canadians Abroad thread... Or are you?? There's no [R] in the title!

57' Pellegrino (in) - Di Vaio (out) (Valencia) Valencia coach Claudio Ranieri reacts to the red card immediately by replacing the effective Marco Di Vaio with defender Mauricio Pellegrino. Di Vaio can count himself unlucky to be the victim of this chain of events.

61' Charisteas (in) - Schulz (out) (Bremen) Bremen scent a victory and make an attacking substitution bringing on striker Angelos Charisteas.

84' Charisteas (Bremen) scores! Greek striker Charisteas grabs the goal Bremen have been praying for. Slick interplay on the left gives Klasnic the chance to slide the ball across to the substitute, who four yards out, is left with an open goal.

87' The Spanish side are in an unenviable postion. They are down to ten men, 2-1 down and their most dangerous striker Marco Di Vaio is off the pitch. They have only three minutes to salvage something from this match.

Radzinski ready to profit as Djorkaeff joins Rovers.

FULHAM have lost out to Blackburn in the race to sign Youri Djorkaeff.

277 words

29 September 2004

The Evening Standard

English

© 2004 Associated Newspapers. All rights reserved

The French striker becomes Mark Hughes's first signing as Rovers manager after agreeing a deal until January, although it may be extended after that.

Djorkaeff (left) trained with Fulham last week and was impressed by Chris Coleman, but the club failed to come up with a satisfactory offer. The 36-year-old was available on a free after quitting Bolton in the summer.

The failure to land Djorkaeff - combined with Andy Cole's suspension following his red card against West Bromwich Albion - should mean an extended run in the team for Tomasz Radzinski.

The Canadian striker initially struggled following his £1.75million move from Everton, but has now scored three goals in two games.

Radzinski is confident his game will improve once he and girlfriend Cathy move into a new house and grow accustomed to life in London.

He said: 'I am still settling in. I'm still learning a different kind of football and am still living out of a suitcase - which is not ideal - but hopefully within the next two weeks I can move in to my new place and jump-start my career at Fulham.'

The passing style of Coleman's side stands in sharp contrast to Everton's long-ball game.

Radzinski said: 'With Fulham, because of the quality of the players we have, you build up the game from the defence, through the midfield and then you try to provide for the strikers.

'So it is completely different and it is not easy [adapting], but I am learning every day.'

Radzinski ready to profit as Djorkaeff joins Rovers.

FULHAM have lost out to Blackburn in the race to sign Youri Djorkaeff.

277 words

29 September 2004

The Evening Standard

English

© 2004 Associated Newspapers. All rights reserved

The French striker becomes Mark Hughes's first signing as Rovers manager after agreeing a deal until January, although it may be extended after that.

Djorkaeff (left) trained with Fulham last week and was impressed by Chris Coleman, but the club failed to come up with a satisfactory offer. The 36-year-old was available on a free after quitting Bolton in the summer.

The failure to land Djorkaeff - combined with Andy Cole's suspension following his red card against West Bromwich Albion - should mean an extended run in the team for Tomasz Radzinski.

The Canadian striker initially struggled following his £1.75million move from Everton, but has now scored three goals in two games.

Radzinski is confident his game will improve once he and girlfriend Cathy move into a new house and grow accustomed to life in London.

He said: 'I am still settling in. I'm still learning a different kind of football and am still living out of a suitcase - which is not ideal - but hopefully within the next two weeks I can move in to my new place and jump-start my career at Fulham.'

The passing style of Coleman's side stands in sharp contrast to Everton's long-ball game.

Radzinski said: 'With Fulham, because of the quality of the players we have, you build up the game from the defence, through the midfield and then you try to provide for the strikers.

'So it is completely different and it is not easy [adapting], but I am learning every day.'

From Soccernet:

McKenna to answer Hearts SOS call

Hearts head coach Craig Levein is ready to take a massive gamble in what he describes as the most important game of his managerial career when his team take on Braga in the UEFA Cup tomorrow night.

An injury crisis means that Levein will send out an SOS call to defender Kevin McKenna to take over striking duties for the second leg of the tie, even though he has not played a game this season.

The Canada international underwent an operation on his knee at the beginning of the month after weeks of pain forced him out of the team's opening fixtures.

He duly missed the impressive 3-1 win over the Portuguese side at Murrayfield a couple of weeks ago.

Now though, injury and illness to frontmen Mark de Vries, Graham Weir and Ramon Pereira means that Levein has been forced into drastic measures in the hope of guiding his players through to the money-spinning group stages of the competition.

Playing up front is not entirely new to McKenna - but the problem stems from the fact that he has just two days of training under his belt heading into the crunch tie.

Levein admitted: 'He hasn't played any competitive matches at all this season so of course it's a gamble, but sometimes in these situations you have no choice.

'A lot will depend on how long he can last, then after that I'm not sure what we will do.

'The one thing you always get with Kevin is a natural enthusiasm and we will get that from him. He will run his heart out and he will do everything he can to assist the team.

'I know that and I don't have to worry about that - he will give us what he's got.

'I think everyone is desperate to play and that's the way it should be - the fact Kevin has to play is just one of those things.

'He is a big strong guy who has an eye for goal. If he gets into an area to score, then he's quite good at putting the ball in the net.'

Goals from Andy Webster, Paul Hartley and Patrick Kisnorbo from the first leg put Hearts in pole position ahead of tomorrow night's tie at the impressive Estadio Municipal de Braga, and Levein is confident that an away goal would smooth their path through to the advanced stages of the competition.

He added: 'If we get a goal over here I'd be quite confident that we won't lose three goals - it's a long time time since we lost three goals in a game.

'It's not vital that we score but it would make a big difference for us and certainly we're not going to defend for 90 minutes.

'We're going to have to be cagey, but as soon as we get an opportunity to go forward we will take it.'

Hearts were unfortunate not to extend their run in Europe last year when they dumped Bosnian side Zeljeznicar to earn a glamour meeting with Bordeaux.

An impressive win over the French on foreign soil was overshadowed by a defeat at Tynecastle which ended Hearts' involvement in the tournament, but Levein admits this game is the biggest of his managerial career so far.

He said: 'It is a massive game for the club. My pleasure will be taken from seeing the boys having worked so hard and managing to progress. If they do get through, then that gives me the opportunity to pit my wits against some other decent sides.

'We have a chance to go through to the group stages which is something new and, from that angle, I desperately want to have a shot at that.'

Braga may be trailing 3-1 from the first leg but coach Jesualdo Ferreira remains confident his team will knock Hearts out of the UEFA Cup tomorrow.

He said: 'I don't only think that we may qualify, I'm confident that we will.

'We drew with Benfica in the Stadium of Light at the weekend and my team has spirit, talent and the players who can make a difference.

'The only thing we fear from Hearts is that they counter-attack well and we need to go forward to score goals.

'I have nothing special planned for the game as I have every confidence in my players and I'm confident that we'll go through.

'We can score the goals that we need.'

Unfortunately, I was not able to find any footage of the Stalteri yellow, as neither SoccerCentral or Sky Sports (via BT) had it. (I'll check FSWR in the morn)

However, there was a BRUTAL dive by Klose in the first half just outside the box. The Valencia player Marchena never touched him - and Marchena actually received a yellow! And Marchena got sent off in the second half for another yellow.

The English referee also booked another Bremen player for diving at the end of the first half.

Johnson Kenna believe his luck

by DAVE ARMITAGE

242 words

30 September 2004

Daily Star

English

© copyright Express Newspapers 2004

Derby 1 West Ham 1

MICHAEL JOHNSON'S rare moment of glory was quickly wiped out at Pride Park last night.

The Derby central defender popped up after just six minutes to put the Rams ahead.

Johnson stooped at the far post to nod home Inigo Idiakez's corner for his first league goal after more than 50 appearances for the club.

But Derby's lead lasted just five minutes, as Matthew Etherington grabbed a lucky equaliser for the Hammers.

Derby failed to deal with a Luke Chadwick cross and Etherington's leftfoot shot took a deflection off Jeff Kenna to fool keeper Lee Camp as the ball went under him and into the net.

County had made a quick-fire start to the game and West Ham keeper Stephen Bywater had to scramble across his goal to save from Marco Reich after just two minutes.

And 60 seconds later, Bywater had to be sharp again to keep out a wild, dipping volley from Adam Bolder.

After the break, Nigel Reo-Coker went close to grabbing a second for the Hammers but Camp blocked his shot and Kenna cleared off the line.

West Ham then had a scare when Derby's new Polish striker Grzegorz Rasiak headed over.

And second-half substitute Paul Peschisolido also had several chances to snatch all three points for Derby but both sides had to settle for a point.

Football: Tribunal upholds fine for Radzinski

SCOTT McLEOD

170 words

30 September 2004

Liverpool Echo

English

© The Liverpool Daily Post & Echo Ltd, 2004.

DAVID MOYES" decision to fine Tomasz Radzinski two weeks wages has been upheld by a Premier League tribunal.

Radzinski was hit with the fine in July after a series of outspoken comments in an interview with a national newspaper.

But he refused to pay the £40, 000 before moving to Fulham in a £1. 75m transfer.

The Canadian international appealed to the Premier League, leading to yesterday"s tribunal.

Radzinski was hit with the fine after criticising the manager"s methods and transfer policy and urging Wayne Rooney to leave Goodison in an interview which came just a week into the club"s pre-season preparations and more than a fortnight before his transfer to Craven Cottage.

Club secretary Dave Harrison said: "The club is pleased that the tribunal has endorsed the decision taken on this matter and it is hoped that this concludes the issue.

"In these circumstances, we do not think it is appropriate to make any further comment. ""

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Unfortunately, I was not able to find any footage of the Stalteri yellow, as neither SoccerCentral or Sky Sports (via BT) had it. (I'll check FSWR in the morn)

However, there was a BRUTAL dive by Klose in the first half just outside the box. The Valencia player Marchena never touched him - and Marchena actually received a yellow! And Marchena got sent off in the second half for another yellow.

The English referee also booked another Bremen player for diving at the end of the first half.

Well I can confirm that Marchena was incensed as his going off helped Bremen get back in, and while his second yellow was justified the first clearly was not. Still, Valencia has recognized that Bremen played well, and considering that Valencia was undefeated this year in official matches the win for Werder is great even with the extra man.

Game finishes 3-1 in favour of Ferencvaros

Simpson was subbed off in minute 61.

Not only was one fan stabbed before the game but 4 Millwall fans were stabbed and a riot occurred in the town where police had to use teargas. The windows of shops were being broken also.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Simpson starts for Millwall away to Ferencvaros. Ferencvaros score two in the first half and are up two on aggregate in the second half.

A man was stabbed before the match.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

In the Tipplegaen, Tromso and Valerenga tied 1-1. Bernier taken off the field injured in the 84th minute after being kickied in the face.

It hasn't been noted, but vg.no named Bernier Man of the Match in this game.

Archived