Canada Does have hooligan fans !!!!

Polish_LYNX_Fan

Well boyz only if 1/4 of those fans showed up to Canadian soccer games and cheered that hard. "Let's go Canada Clap clap clap clap clap" "Ole ole ole ole ole ole" thats all u heard @ the tailgate party and the AFTERMATH. It felt like a soccer celebration a bit. Lotta arrests, horses trampling ppl. People on bus shelters on ligh poles. Singing bottles thrown. Altercations with cops. Man i wish ppl were as passionte about soccer as tehy were last nite!!!!:)

Passion, yes, hooliganism no. Have we not learnt the lessons of the past[8]?

That is why I refuse to join the Milwall[}:)] bandwagon. It is not just many of the supporters there that glory in violence and vandalism, the club institutionalizes it by doing things like placing professional thugs like Wise in positions of authourity.

We should strive with this supporters group to distance ourselves from hooliganism, as the Voyageurs that showed up for the Honduras match so nobly did.

Just say no to mindlessness and yes to positive football support!:)

Yeah. I'm not accusing you of supporting hooliganism, and I appreciate your desire for loud support. More Canadian fans like you would be great.

I guess as someone who has been a soccer supporter and defender since the 1960's, I just can't avoid some soapboxes when they appear. Sorry, and keep up the good fight bro'!

I fully support the BIG FLAG idea. There are a million ways we could finance it, like sponsorships and promotions. I know at Swanguard there have been calls to hang a giant flag off of the Telus (I think) building just to the North of the Stadium. Looks like there will be a bunch of buildings we could hang a flag off of at the new Varsity. Maybe 2 flags? One for hanging, and one for waving.

As for HOOLIGANISM, I consider myself hooliganesque. But I'd rather keep the peace. We should have been a bit more agressive in Edmonton though, because I was standing where our banners started, and most were on the other side of our section. We should have been more in thier faces. Then one of their guys would have never considered charging into our section (eventhough we did it first) after the penalty. Mimglow should have been standing to my right ;) with all the noisy guys in the seats right behind us. That would have kept those guys quiet.

Not thuggery, but we shouldn't make visiting fans feel like they are on a holiday, and can do whatever the hell they want (i.e. seat stealing and even flag stealing in Burnaby, banner covering in Edmonton, ect ect.)

Anyone listening to the Jim Rome show today?? It's hilarious! They are just ripping-up the WCH to no end!

"Dear Jim,

Did you catch the WCH final last night? Neither did we.

Sincerely,

Everyone"

Anyway, I'm not too jealous of the hockey supporters. They'll never experience what soccer fans can experience. A couple of hundred (drunk) people at the corner of Bay and Front can seem like alot. But that's as good as it gets for hockey-fan. And it's still a looooong way from being at Celtic Park in Glasgow last night at about 8:15 local time.

Okay, just saw this piece on the Guardian site...

http://football.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,14546,-4497005,00.html

I'm the first to be glad to say I'm wrong, and give credit where credit is due. Hopefully the club will backup it's words with actions, and that the supporters will do their bit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lions keen to set example for English fans

By Paul Brown

LONDON, Sept 15 (Reuters) - Second division club Millwall aim to provide a shining example of model behaviour for the rest of English football when they embark on their first European adventure on Thursday.

Millwall have long been dogged by the blight of football hooliganism and concerns were raised in Europe when the Lions qualified for the UEFA Cup in May.

When they entertain Hungarian champions Ferencvaros at The Den on Thursday in the first leg of their first-round tie, however, Millwall are determined to change negative perceptions of the club.

Chairman Theo Paphitis says the south London side's reformed supporters will also set an example in the return leg in Budapest in a fortnight's time that England fans would do well to follow.

"Everyone has worked hard to change our image. Football is not the problem, it's the answer. We can educate people," Paphitis said on Wednesday.

"We've done great things at Millwall but we can't be complacent, and neither can the national team or fans of the national team," Paphitis told reporters.

The Lions are in the competition for the first time despite losing in last season's FA Cup Final, because victors Manchester United qualified for the Champions League.

The club's fans are still subject to a membership scheme after rioting at The Den two years ago, but such drastic measures seem to have weeded out the hooligan element.

"Over 300 million households saw the Cup Final and now know the name of Millwall Football Club for all the right reasons," Paphitis said.

"It's wonderful that so many other people in Europe can now see the club in that light as well.

"To see the UEFA Cup flag flying over The Den is surreal. It's an honour, but we're not here just to make up the numbers. We want to get to the group stages."

quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

Well boyz only if 1/4 of those fans showed up to Canadian soccer games and cheered that hard. "Let's go Canada Clap clap clap clap clap" "Ole ole ole ole ole ole" thats all u heard @ the tailgate party and the AFTERMATH. It felt like a soccer celebration a bit. Lotta arrests, horses trampling ppl. People on bus shelters on ligh poles. Singing bottles thrown. Altercations with cops. Man i wish ppl were as passionte about soccer as tehy were last nite!!!!:)

Other people have already addressed the hooligan issue, but I'd also like to point out that you can't confuse true fans with people who are out there being stupid just because they think can be under the circumstances. What those people were showing was NOT passion, it was stupidity. Like those victory "celebrations" in the US that ended with cars tipped over and on fire, windows broken, etc. --- that has nothing to do with passion, and if there were more idiots on the streets of Toronto than there actually were last night then I wonder how far it would have gone.

As for the big flag idea, this is nothing new. We went through this about a year ago (?). We got prices, saw that they were quite high, then began writing letters to sponsors to help us out. In fact it was Varsity Tyler, who first brought up the big flag in this thread, who did most if not all of the work on this project. Now I can't remember why nothing came of it all. Perhaps Tyler can explain.

quote:
Anyone listening to the Jim Rome show today?? It's hilarious! They are just ripping-up the WCH to no end!

"Dear Jim,

Did you catch the WCH final last night? Neither did we.

Sincerely,

Everyone"

Anyway, I'm not too jealous of the hockey supporters. They'll never experience what soccer fans can experience. A couple of hundred (drunk) people at the corner of Bay and Front can seem like alot. But that's as good as it gets for hockey-fan. And it's still a looooong way from being at Celtic Park in Glasgow last night at about 8:15 local time.

quote:

I heard it it was awsome

ok I suggest someone make a topic about the FLAG and lets get it going again make the topic stickey and lets make the boyz proud!!!!

Archived