A message to the Queen.

G-Man

Dear Queenie poo,

As a loyal subject in Canada, I am writing you to influence the Commonwealth games committee to include the sport that England gave to the world- Soccer, or as your grandsons would call Football.

I know that you have some experience with the sport, having played yourself for South End during the 80’s while the club floundered between the second and third divisions. I remember reading something in Match magazine that you felt that the promotion relegation system was a trap for clubs such as South End. They had neither the talent nor did the club directors have the ambition to mount a serious campaign that would see them rise to the promise land.

As a fan of Canada’s national team I share the same sentiments in regards to our quest for a World Cup spot. Our National body underneath me, has zero ambition other than picking up a weekly pay stub. We need some inspiration and some wins against our Caribbean commonwealth brothers.

Anyway back to the point my dear Queen; rider of the white pony, Canada needs a mid-range kind of tournament that we could qualify for. The World Cup at point in history is beyond us. We even struggle in the Gold Cup. But a at the Commonwealth games I sure we could qualify from our region. We could beat Aruba and British Virgin Islands. And if would give us a chance to play against some good soccer nations, like Cameroon, Australia and Scotland (okay that one’s a stretch- calling Scotland a good soccer nation).

Placing 7th at the Commonwealth Games might give my staff the hope not to give up. And at the very least the 7th place sticker of participation would look nice in the CSA's office sticker case, along side our Pan Am games and Francophone game stickers.

Please help…

Kevin Pipe

I think I read somewhere that the royals* dislike footy. They are more fans ( for lack of a better word) of equestrian events. Plus there are no other teams sports in the commonwealth games and I think that that is by design and not coincidence.

Too bad though , cause it would make for an interesting tournament. But the francophone games can unite some pretty good sides too. The experience that domestic based players could acquire by playing in these kind of event would help Canada improve in the long run. One would think.

* By royals, I mean Royal Family. Not the Kansas City Royals :D .

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

Dear Queenie poo,

As a loyal subject in Canada, I am writing you to influence the Commonwealth games committee to include the sport that England gave to the world- Soccer, or as your grandsons would call Football.

I know that you have some experience with the sport, having played yourself for South End during the 80’s while the club floundered between the second and third divisions. I remember reading something in Match magazine that you felt that the promotion relegation system was a trap for clubs such as South End. They had neither the talent nor did the club directors have the ambition to mount a serious campaign that would see them rise to the promise land.

As a fan of Canada’s national team I share the same sentiments in regards to our quest for a World Cup spot. Our National body underneath me, has zero ambition other than picking up a weekly pay stub. We need some inspiration and some wins against our Caribbean commonwealth brothers.

Anyway back to the point my dear Queen; rider of the white pony, Canada needs a mid-range kind of tournament that we could qualify for. The World Cup at point in history is beyond us. We even struggle in the Gold Cup. But a at the Commonwealth games I sure we could qualify from our region. We could beat Aruba and British Virgin Islands. And if would give us a chance to play against some good soccer nations, like Cameroon, Australia and Scotland (okay that one’s a stretch- calling Scotland a good soccer nation).

Placing 7th at the Commonwealth Games might give my staff the hope not to give up. And at the very least the 7th place sticker of participation would look nice in the CSA's office sticker case, along side our Pan Am games and Francophone game stickers.

Please help…

Kevin Pipe

Dear Mr. Pipe

You have way too much time on your hands..hymm hymm

Sincerly,

Her Most Royal Excelency Queen Elizabeth the 2nd.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Plus there are no other teams sports in the commonwealth games and I think that that is by design and not coincidence.

Too bad though, cause it would make for an interesting tournament.

Actually, field hockey is a team sport in the Commonwealth Games.

It's an apealling idea that avoids the problem that the UK Football Associations have with competitions like the Olypmics, since the British "countries" (England, Scotland, etc.) compete seperately.

But if the Olympics can't pull together a first rate soccer competition, what chance does a second rate event like the Commonwealth Games have?

quote:Originally posted by Billy the Bluenose

Apparently Prince William (Future King of UK and CW) is a Tim (aka Celtic Supporter). This suggests to me that he obviously has no clue about anything because the supporters of this club sing songs on a regular basis that glorify their hatred for his Granny.

Imagine a Celtic supporting King Billy!!! Oh the Irony!!! ;):D

For your information, King Billy had the support of the Pope. Now THAT'S Irony! :D

I don't like the idea of losing out in qualifying to the killer B's: Bahamas, Bermuda and Barbados. Could we get a top 2 finish in this group?

I thought the Prince supported West Ham.

A 7th place participation sticker? If we qualified from the killer B's group, that would mean one draw in one of our 3 Commonwealth group games. What if we are in a group of death with Sierra Leone, Mozambique and Papua New Guinea. Aren't you setting yourself up for dissapointment?

Archived