FIFA should follow FIBA's stance

CanadianSoccerFan

I'm a basketball fan and a soccer fan. I happen to follow international basketball very closely (I know, there aren't many like me). The one thing I can never quite understand about international soccer is how lax the elgibility rules are to play for a country. It boggles my mind that situations such as Hargreaves, Bircham are even possible. All you need is a grandparent with citizenship and you don't even need to get any yourself..... It's almost ridiculous.

FIBA takes a very different stance. First of all, you actually have to be a citizen of the country you compete for regardless of the parent/grandparent situation. Secondly, players are locked into their country of birth to play for them unless they declare otherwise before their 16th birthday. However FIBA does allow ONE roster spot on each team for a naturalized citizen or in other words a player who opts to play for a country other than that of their birth after their 16th birthday.

There would be a bit more parity in international soccer if regulations such as these existed. Sure, it allows each team to steal one player if they go through the citizenship hassle....... Rules like these would probably kill a team like France.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents on the differences in rules:)

Tell me what ya think!

I absolutely agree that eligibility for the country of one's parents/grandparents is rediculous. FIBA sounds like they have a more reasonable stance. Players should only have a limited choice of countries to represent. And they should actually be a citizen (for say 3 years) before they can apply to switch from their country of birth.

I follow international basketball quite closely, and while the rules are much better that FIFA, they do tend to punish a country of immigrants such as Canada. A large number of our top basketball players were born outside the country, and if they are a late bloomer and don't declare by their 16'th birthday, they probably won't get to play for Canada.

Could you imagine if Steve Nash, who was born in South Africa, wasnt allowed to play for Canada because he hadn't declared by the time he was 16. The other thing which is strict about FIBA is that if a player who has dual citizenship uses his foreign passport to get around import rules in a foreign league, he would no longer be eligible to play for Canada. For example, if a Canadian has an Italian Passport and he declares himself Italian for the purpose of securing a position in the Italian league, he cannot play for Canada. There are a number of players to whom this has happened. Thankfully, our best overseas players are good enough that they can secure a position no matter what nationality they declare.

So i guess there are two extremes, FIBA and FIFA. THe best would be in the middle somewhere.

quote:Originally posted by eastcoaster

The other thing which is strict about FIBA is that if a player who has dual citizenship uses his foreign passport to get around import rules in a foreign league, he would no longer be eligible to play for Canada. For example, if a Canadian has an Italian Passport and he declares himself Italian for the purpose of securing a position in the Italian league, he cannot play for Canada. There are a number of players to whom this has happened. Thankfully, our best overseas players are good enough that they can secure a position no matter what nationality they declare.

That's not entirely true. Players such as Shawn Swords (Ireland), Alex Bougaieff (Italy), Eric Hinrichsen (Belgium) and Andy Kwiatkowski (Poland) compete overseas with the benefit of their passports but are still allowed to compete for Canada. There are many others but I don't feel like listing them all. Ely Pasquale played in Italy his whole career by way of his dual citizeship but is probably the greatest guard the Canadian team has ever seen beyond Nash. As long as you have both citizenships from the outset you are in the clear. The exception is in cases such as Michael Meeks (Germany) and JD Jackson (France) where they attained new citizenship through marriage or permanent residency and were forced to give up their right to compete for Canada.

I enjoy watching Tony Parker play basketball and develop as a player. He's eligible for France for the rather simple reason that he's French. His father (Tony Sr) is an American who had an extensive pro career in Europe. Tony Jr was actually born in 1982 in Belgium, but raised, along with his two younger brothers (Terence and Pierre), in France. He played for various French club teams and national age groups -- such as the 1998 European Junior Championships -- before entering the 2001 NBA draft and being selected by the Spurs.

Archived