Calgary... BEST NHL CITY?!

Former Champ

Hahahahaha Haahaha ha. haa haa

HA HA HA AHAHHAHA (cough gasp snicker cough laugh) (gasp) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

(ow, tear, gasp cough COUGH gasp) HAHAHAHAHA!!! (oh god) haa haa HAAA HAAA HAAAAAAA! hAAA ha ho ooooh.

This proves that you can win the season MVP with a strong playoff performance. If any Canadian city would have made it to the dance the reaction would have been at least the same. The only 'Best' catagory Calgary qualifies for is 'Places for Dicks to Live'.;)

It was fun tho. And the finals featured a plethorah of good ol' Canajun boys out dere!

The Calgary Sun

Aug 4 by Nova Pierson

"Eat you hearts out Tampa Bay.

You May have won the cup, But Calgary has stolen the title of best NHL city-and that's something you don't even have to polish.

In it's edition out on newsstands today, THE SPORTING NEWS has ranked N. America's top sporting cities, and its only Canadian mention, at the top of the pack, the Calgary Flames.

While Boston nabbed best overall sporting city.."

That is pretty bogus. Any Hockey city deserving of such a title should never, ever have the phrase "Hockey is back in [insert city]!" attributed to it. Coincidentally enough, that's the exact phrase used to describe the Hockey atmosphere in Calgary this past spring.

Sporting News. Psshhh!

The only reason that the atmosphere at the Saddledome managed to reach a fevered pitch this year was because the people that DESERVED to be at the games ponied up the dough (and probably had to forego a summer vacation because of it) and went.

The people at the games during the playoffs were REAL fans who love the game and would have sold their mother to be there.

Unfortunately, these same fans can't afford to go during the regular season (no way in hell could they afford season tickets) and so the seats are filled with guys who were given freebie tickets by their corporations (and aren't exactly hardcore) and their wives who would rather knit a sweater or read a book than watch the game (I've actually seen this).

Mind you, this year was different. A lot of hardcore fans are starting to take advantage of multi-game ticket packages and the building was starting to get louder and louder as the year went on.

The 2004 postseason reminded me of the old days in the Corral, where the atmosphere was ABSOLUTELY NUTS!! Also, back in the late 80's before big business got a hold of all the tickets.

Let's hope the fine people of Calgary can keep it going. If they open up the upper loge seats and keep the prices low, the real fans and their kids can get to a bunch of games and keep the emotions running high.

Give the game back to the fans!

quote:" ....guys who were given freebie tickets by their corporations (and aren't exactly hardcore) and their wives who would rather knit a sweater or read a book than watch the game (I've actually seen this)."

I knew of someone who went to the ACC a few years ago with premium tickets from the the employer. She worked in sales related capacity ( isn't always those types who gets these kind of perks!).

Yet she stated with no shame what so ever, that that was exactly what she did through out the game; read a book. She was surprised when some other patrons mentioned and even pleaded to her that she shouldn't be reading when the game is in progress!

K,

You're from Vancouver. Of course you don't know what a REAL hockey fan looks like :)

A huge chunk of the fans at the Flames' playoff games this year were hardworking blue collar types who threw financial caution to the winds and bought playoff tickets (figuring that it could be another decade before they see playoff hockey again - hey, it happened before)

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

There was also the STARVATION factor. With the exception of past (very past) Stamps success we haven't had a lot to cheer about around here.

Enjoy that NLL title.

It will be a long time.:D

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

I forgot about that... but so has the rest of the city.

Lacrosse is cool, but I couldn't tolerate the non stop pop music.

I went to one NLL game on a freebie and managed to stay for 3 quarters until that non stop racket forced me to leave. That and a half naked David "bumwipe" Stadnyk in the hot tub in one end of the arena.

Archived