July 2 - Syracuse v. Toronto (R)

Metro

Lynx release posted at OurSports Central:

Lynx top 'Dogs in Syracuse

July 2, 2004 - In their biggest match of the season to date, the Toronto Lynx traveled to Syracuse tonight and turned in a superb effort in a 1-0 victory over the Salty Dogs. With sixth place in the Eastern Conference on the line and playing on the unfamiliar Astroturf at P&C Stadium, the Lynx battled hard to earn 3 points and move past the Salty Dogs in the standings. Syracuse seemed poised to claim the lead in the first half when a Salty Dogs' striker was left all alone in front of goal, but Lynx 'keeper, Bryheem Hancock, was up to the challenge diving to full extension to push the ball wide of the goal. Ali Gerba gave the Lynx the win with a highlight reel left footed blast into the top corner in the 66th minute after being denied a goal by the post earlier in the match. The goal was Gerba's 8th of the season moving him into a tie for second in the A-League in goals. The Lynx defense were forced to dig for the final 15 minutes when defender, Josue Mayard, was shown a red card in the 76th minute, but the 'Dogs were unable to find the equalizer. Midfielder, Shawn Faria, was the key to the match for the Lynx. Finally at full fitness, Faria provided great leadership and held the midfield allowing the Lynx offensive players room to attack. "This is what we have been waiting for all season from Shawn," commented Lynx Head Coach, Duncan Wilde. "His play was the difference in the game. It was a complete team effort tonight to earn the 3 points and we are very pleased with the result." Toronto improved their record to 5-8-1 with 16 points, moving past the Salty Dogs, who fall to 4-6-3 with 15 points. The Lynx are back in action this Thursday, July 8th for their Taste of Athens Night when they host the defending A-League Champion Charleston Battery at Centennial Park Stadium with a 7:30pm kickoff.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Ali Gerba gave the Lynx the win with a highlight reel left footed blast into the top corner in the 66th minute after being denied a goal by the post earlier in the match. The goal was Gerba's 8th of the season moving him into a tie for second in the A-League in goals.

And yet apparently Yallop is not calling him up to the North American-based B team friendlies next week. The question is, why not?

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

And yet apparently Yallop is not calling him up to the North American-based B team friendlies next week. The question is, why not?

Has the roster been officially announced yet?

The roster hasn't been announced but the indications are (thus far) out of the Lynx camp are Tyler Hughes, and possibly Serioux & Jamie Dodds (depending on who you believe). It's not officialy, but I used the word "apparently" in my original post to qualify what I was saying.

The roster hasn't been announced but the indications are (thus far) out of the Lynx camp are Tyler Hughes, and possibly Serioux & Jamie Dodds (depending on who you believe). It's not officialy, but I used the word "apparently" in my original post to qualify what I was saying.

OK. Gerba didn't play the game I saw in Vancouver, which was too bad as I was looking forward to seeing him play live. I did leave thinking Serioux was more interesting than Bartolomeu of the potential B teamers on the Lynx. I don't recall if either Hughes or Dodds played for the Lynx - if they did, they did not make much of an impression.

Haven't read the thread on the game, was much made of the penalty call that gave the 'caps the win? One of the Toronto coaches was irate, and belittling the officiating crew at centre field after the game. Couldn't tell if the call was a good one or not from where I sat, but it was hilarious watching the Toronto coach jabbing his finger at the officials who were, of course, behind 3 or 4 security guys.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

I think Ali is from portugal ;)

No, but he's applied for a dual-citizenship with Portugal so he does not get hassled by national team staff and can dedicate himself full-time to the Lynx playoff run.

Archived