Rudi quit

The Ref

I thought Rudi was a very good and professional coach so I am sorry to hear this although it is not surprising given that he only took the position reluctantly after the Daum cocaine scandal. On the other hand I think Hitzfeld is an excellent choice as a replacement. Many of Bayern's national team players were upset with how the team's management dealt with Hitzfeld last year and will be happy to play for him again. Holger won't be considered as he is not that well known in Germany. He would have to have success with a major Bundesliga club to be in the running for such a post.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I thought Rudi was a very good and professional coach so I am sorry to hear this although it is not surprising given that he only took the position reluctantly after the Daum cocaine scandal. On the other hand I think Hitzfeld is an excellent choice as a replacement. Many of Bayern's national team players were upset with how the team's management dealt with Hitzfeld last year and will be happy to play for him again. Holger won't be considered as he is not that well known in Germany. He would have to have success with a major Bundesliga club to be in the running for such a post.

I agree that Holger's not in the running but he did have great success as the Kaiser's assistant in 1990. But yeah, he's disappeared from the German football landscape now. Can't see anyone else other than Hitzfeld.

I don't think it's all doom and gloom for German soccer. Was their performance in this tournament that much worse than 2002? A combination of Kahn, luck and timely scoring is the difference between the two tournaments.

THen again, if you can't beat the Czech B team......

Yes they were much worse in 2002. They were in the group of death this time in which one favourite was sure to be eliminated and played fairly well but couldn't finish their chances. Add one hot striker to the team and they probably would have advanced. 2002 they sucked across the board and played terribly in part due to having an incompetent coach who was hated by his players.

Archived