Canada's dream WCF draw?

Since we are in dream mode in the "how would Canada fare" thread, I thought I'd put this question out.

Assuming Canada were to get to Germany, who would you want to see us drawn up against and why would you wish that we play those particular teams.

Personally I would want to be in a group with at least one 'name' team, one team that we would have a chance against and an African team (cause they are fun).

My group:

England - Canada's dream draw...Canadian soccer could gain so much from even a half decent showing against England. And I seem to recall that there is some guy from Calgary playing for the Brits. The media would probably run with that story line a bit. I also have this dream where Canada wins a WC game against England on an OG from, well, you can use your imagination. In my dream there is a group of about 1,000 voyageurs chanting "You F*&^ed up" as the downtrodden player walks off the field. It would be the only thing you can hear in the otherwise silent stadium. A dry British announcer will say something about the "cruel hand of Karma" to a stunned BBC audience. I'm a petty man.

China - The beat-able team. I picked them because of the large Chinese's community in Canada. Seeing the new land beat the old might be a way to ensure that the new generation becomes a fan of the Maple Leaf rather than the Fatherland. More fans = more support = more money from sponsors

It doesn't really matter but how about Cameroon Simply for the flair - plus the African teams are so unpredictable that we could possible steal a point.

Germany/France: Just to say that we have played them in the World Cup... ...and I was there to witness the occassion.

Ireland: My good friend is Irish and it would be cool to go against her... ...

Any Asian/African/South American team: Just to go head-to-head with another football culture.

quote:Originally posted by highburygooner

usa: enough said. plucky victory

Have to disagree there. All bias aside, the USA would definitley beat Canada on neutral ground. It might be close, but if I were a neutral, I'd put my money on the Yanks.

Dream WC group for Canada? China, Saudi Arabia and Tunisia.

Re: the US, there's no way that they are going to group 2 Concacaf teams in the same group anyway (or two Asian teams for that matter).

I chose Brazil because not only do I hate them, it would be nice to see Canada pull off the traditional "defending champs get beaten in the opening match by an un-heralded team who go on to the quarter-finals" which has happened a couple of times (most recently with African teams, but Belgium also did it in 1982). I chose England for reasons already stated by others, and Australia as I didn't really like the way they played against us in 1993 and in Olympic qualifying in 1996 - we already got our revenge on Hungary in 1997 and we can't really get our revenge on the USSR as they no longer exist as such.

I think the best for soccer in Canada would be

1. Italy

2. Portugal

3. Chile

With Canada playing well and offensively even if losing to Italy as the Netherlands did to the Czech Republic on Saturday. Then an exciting draw with Portugal, say 2-2. And a hard fought victory or draw with Chile, say 2-1. That would get the World's attention and Toronto's too.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

I think the best for soccer in Canada would be

1. Italy

2. Portugal

3. Chile

With Canada playing well and offensively even if losing to Italy as the Netherlands did to the Czech Republic on Saturday. Then an exciting draw with Portugal, say 2-2. And a hard fought victory or draw with Chile, say 2-1. That would get the World's attention and Toronto's too.

Italy and Portugal? Merrrr....

Watching supposed Canadians cheering for foreign teams with Canadian soccer on the down-low is bad enough. I don't know what'd I do if I saw them cheering on our opponents in the World Cup... I don't know if I wanna risk finding out.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by highburygooner

usa: enough said. plucky victory

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have to disagree there. All bias aside, the USA would definitley beat Canada on neutral ground. It might be close, but if I were a neutral, I'd put my money on the Yanks.

Dream WC group for Canada? China, Saudi Arabia and Tunisia.

--------------------------------------------------------

sorry mate, this did say DREAM world cup draw...and in my dreams, it would be possible to not only have two concacaf teams, but possible for canada to sneak a plucky victory over the u.s....but enough about the yanks, more concerned about drawing england and italy.

Archived