Captain Canada?

SeanKeay

I would favour DeVos as well. In my opinion the capatin should be a player who is a fixture as starter. DeVos is more likely to ways be in starting line up than Onstad as result of his consistant performances on the team. You might say the same for Paul Stalteri.

Then again, Coaches like to pick captains that they are closest too rather than someone they are less familiar with since this ensures that their philosophy and strategy is properly communicated to the squad and that their guiding principles are adhered to on the pitch when the game is in progress. When you are a newcomer as coach, you need to mitigate the risk that you lose your team and that they start doing things on thier own. It allow Yallop to have a certain measure of control over the team without having to be a tough diciplinarian and resort to drastic measures. Thus with a loyal soldier as the captain, its easier to implement changes and new approaches.

I recall Yallop saying something to the effect of "what's the captain but the guy who gets to flip the coin anyways" in an interview, which would lead me to believe the "C" is just an armband on this team. Players with leadership qualities will lead, why single one out?

Yes, Devos is the natural choice, for all of the reasons posted here. He is the right age, has sufficient experience, is cool-headed, leads by example and in word--I can see why Yallop has gone with Onstad, but I think Devos may be the better long term choice. Stalteri is too freaky impassioned to be the captain, in my mind. If Forest was our keeper, then he'd be my first choice.

Other decent options: Imhoff, Pesch, Jazic

Archived