Japan & S.Korea bidding for U20 World Cup

Gian-Luca

in 2007, according to Jack Warner in an article in today's Toronto Star. Jack says they have no chance, they are only bidding because they need to find a use for their stadium but due to the rotation system in place now Concacaf, and Canada, are apparently an almost "automatic" choice for 2007. So says Jack, anyway.

The Star also had an article by Chris Young on De Vos signing for Ipswich. Life without Norm Da Costa goes on, apparently.

Here's the stadium/U-20 article (the de Vos article is in the de Vos thread)

Canada a lock for 2007 tourney: FIFA VP

Warner says CONCACAF is due to win

Varsity Stadium funds hang in balance

JIM BYERS

SPORTS REPORTER

A new home for the Toronto Argonauts and Canadian soccer is all but assured, a top international soccer official promised yesterday.

"As far as I'm concerned it's almost automatic," said Jack Warner, a FIFA vice-president, head of the world under-20 organizing committee and head of CONCACAF, on Canada's chances for winning the 2007 world youth championships.

Government officials last week said they'll contribute $35 million toward a new $80 million stadium at the site of the old Varsity Stadium at the University of Toronto, but only if Canada wins the right to host the tournament. Those connected with the project said they're confident Canada will win, which would mean about a dozen games at the stadium.

Japan and South Korea are bidding against Canada but Warner said he doesn't think they stand a chance.

"I can understand they have concerns; they have 10 brand new stadiums (built for the 2002 World Cup) that cost more than $1 billion and they have to find a use for them," Warner said. "But CONCACAF hasn't had the youth championships since 1983 in Mexico, and based on the policy of rotation we're ahead of any federation."

Trinidad, which is where Warner is from, had also bid to host the tournament, but withdrew at Warner's request, thus paving the way for Canada.

"Canada is important to CONCACAF," he said. "Canada has consistently shown an ability to organize FIFA events in a professional manner. Nobody wanted the women's under-19 event that was held in Edmonton. But they did it professionally and made a profit, and they brought respect and international acclaim."

Warner said he thinks the proposed 25,000-seat stadium will be an asset for the entire community.

"I think it will be state of the art and I like the location. I like it very much. And Toronto should be in a position to host" big-time soccer matches, he said.

Here's the stadium/U-20 article (the de Vos article is in the de Vos thread)

Canada a lock for 2007 tourney: FIFA VP

Warner says CONCACAF is due to win

Varsity Stadium funds hang in balance

JIM BYERS

SPORTS REPORTER

A new home for the Toronto Argonauts and Canadian soccer is all but assured, a top international soccer official promised yesterday.

"As far as I'm concerned it's almost automatic," said Jack Warner, a FIFA vice-president, head of the world under-20 organizing committee and head of CONCACAF, on Canada's chances for winning the 2007 world youth championships.

Government officials last week said they'll contribute $35 million toward a new $80 million stadium at the site of the old Varsity Stadium at the University of Toronto, but only if Canada wins the right to host the tournament. Those connected with the project said they're confident Canada will win, which would mean about a dozen games at the stadium.

Japan and South Korea are bidding against Canada but Warner said he doesn't think they stand a chance.

"I can understand they have concerns; they have 10 brand new stadiums (built for the 2002 World Cup) that cost more than $1 billion and they have to find a use for them," Warner said. "But CONCACAF hasn't had the youth championships since 1983 in Mexico, and based on the policy of rotation we're ahead of any federation."

Trinidad, which is where Warner is from, had also bid to host the tournament, but withdrew at Warner's request, thus paving the way for Canada.

"Canada is important to CONCACAF," he said. "Canada has consistently shown an ability to organize FIFA events in a professional manner. Nobody wanted the women's under-19 event that was held in Edmonton. But they did it professionally and made a profit, and they brought respect and international acclaim."

Warner said he thinks the proposed 25,000-seat stadium will be an asset for the entire community.

"I think it will be state of the art and I like the location. I like it very much. And Toronto should be in a position to host" big-time soccer matches, he said.

May not be too bad. Games in Toronto (if grass), Edmonton,

and Vancouver (Kerfoot stadium), with smaller venues like

Victoria and Winnipeg, and if FIFA allows Field Turf,

well you can pencil in Montreal and Ottawa. Hope it works out.

I read in one of the article from last week that the plan is for 6 Canadian cities to host matches in the 2007 U20 WC - which must include FieldTurf stadiums whether Toronto's ends up being grass or not & Kerfoot Stadium is built by then in Vancouver. Either that or a bunch of grass installations for those stadiums a la the Skydome this year.

Archived