May 13 - U19 - Canada vs. Germany [R]

G-Man

Well went to the Ottawa game. And Canada looked terrible. A long ball game played badly with no rhythm or rhyme.

The CSA is wasting a good thing. 2200 out to see a game and it plays crap ball and loses. If you're winning don't change anything I'll agree to that. But know that the Olympics are off for another 6 years and our U-19 is following suit by playing it's most offensive weapon as a sweeper, we'll probably lose to Mexico again and those thousands who come out will disappear.

a couple of things:

- Is there no really no decent U-19 sweeper in the country to fill in? Why is Lang playing there? What is Bridge saying about the state of girl’s soccer in Canada? That the rest of you are crap? I mean a donkey could be taught to kick a ball 40 yards up and over the midfield. And after watching the U-19 game in Ottawa, that’s all Bridge wants them to do. Mark tight and kick up long searching balls up field. Screw the midfield. How very 1957.

-And why have a midfield? They’re not used. Play a 5-0-5. At least you'd have numbers up front when the balls go sailing over their heads.

We have to evolve our game. Maybe it’s time we brought in coaches who themselves were skilled players. Coaches tend to like teams that resemble themselves as players. And the U-19 does resemble Bridge as a player. So just picture paniced long ball into the 13th row at BC place when it could have been played out to a open player on the wings.

overall...a waste of 90 minutes of my life that I'll never get back.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

Well went to the Ottawa game. And Canada looked terrible. A long ball game played badly with no rhythm or rhyme......

overall...a waste of 90 minutes of my life that I'll never get back.

To say your disappointed with the match is one thing.....but it is not a waste of time to back up the players on the field.

I would say why wasn't there more fans that is what disappoints me.

We can argue about coaching as every nation does but let's not walk away from the players.

Even though I watched the game on tv, I still didn't see half the game. Whether it was the rain, fog, long distance camera shots and/or falling light (without any park lights), Rogers production was unwatchable. Except for a few close ups, I barely saw the ball in the 2nd half.

Saying that, G-Man's commentary aptly applies to the 1st half. Even Bridge admitted it during the half time interview. But after Germany scored the goal early in the 2nd half, Canada improved their play. This view was also echoed by the anlayst. They played more of the ball to the feet; but, poor finishing prevented a goal.

On a side note, Rogers production was bad; but, their announcing crew of Lee Versage and Gordon Smith is hands down 10x superior to Dobson/Stoumbous.Plus, Richard Provencher actually asked thoughtful questions on the sidelines to Bridge, Jamani and 2 CSA nobs.

Archived