Canadians who played for other countries?

bc_soccer_fan

I was wondering who are some Canadians who have played for other nations at any level?

Here are some that I know of

Owen Hargreaves- England and Wales

Mark Chung- USA

John Van't Schip- Holland

Jaime Lopresti- Chile

Andrew Williams- Jamaica

Gilbert Jean-Baptiste- Haiti

Simon Lynch- Scotland

Kevin Sharpe- England

Jimmy Nicholl- N. Ireland

Allan Mannus- N. Ireland

Alain Rochat- Switzerland

John Kerr- USA

Stathios Kappos- Greece

Joe Kennaway- Scotland

Terry Dunfield- England

I know I must've missed some.

Damn that some damn good talent we missed out on. :( Although some of those players did eventually smartened up and pledged allegiance to the Maple Leaf.

quote:Originally posted by bc_soccer_fan

Damn that some damn good talent we missed out on. :(

Other than Hargreaves, which of these players has done anything significant? Other than Hargreaves, which of these players would have been or would be significant members of the Canadian national team?

Van't Schip played a number of times with Holland (don't know the number of caps). He also was a member of the EURO Champion Dutch side in 1988. I would actually rank him ahead of Hargreaves in terms of accomplishment. But he left Canada at the age of 10 for Holland so I can't blame him for playing for Holland.

Born: 30 december 1963, Fort Saint John, Canada

CLUBS: Ajax, Genoa; Ajax, FC Twente

Caps: 41, Goals: 2,

Total Club Games:

Ajax 81/82 - 91/92

Genoa 92/93 - 95/96

Total games: 380

Total goals: 40

quote:Originally posted by fan

jimmy nichol played for manchester united and played on the F.A. CUP winning manchester united.

I saw Nichol play for Man U once in 1978 (live, saw him several times on television). I don't think he was better than Lenarduzi or Bruce Wilson. I am sure he would have won some caps for Canada, but players of his relative talent are in Div one these days, replaced by foreign players of greater ability.

Kennaway was apparently very good. I think he played with Celtic back inthe 30s.

I see Dunfield on the list. He is capped tied to Canada.

I think bc_soccer_fan was going for 'played for' not cap tied.

Kennaway played for both countries. Dunfield had one U17 English cap. Kappos isn't cap tied either, etc.

I think Nicholl would have been useful for us and I think Mark Chung would have been a sight better as an attacking midfielder circa 1996-97 than anyone we wound up using in that World Cup qualifying cycle. He's not great, but he could have filled a weak spot. That being said his ties here aren't that strong, so I understand why he didn't play for us. Many of these guys fall into that category, players who had stronger ties to other countries.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by matthew

I think bc_soccer_fan was going for 'played for' not cap tied.

'aight. I believe Dylan Hughes (if he was the guy at Newcastle for a while) played some ganes for the Welsh U-17s or some such a couple of years back.

Archived