Hirshfeld Returns to Spurs

Grizzly

Hirschfeld returns to Spurs

Thu 11 Mar, 2:41 PM

Gillingham boss Andy Hessenthaler is searching for another goalkeeper following the recall of loan signing Lars Hirschfeld to Tottenham.

The Canada international has made two appearances for the Gills and was not due to report back to White Hart Lane until after the West Ham game on 27 March.

But Hirschfeld must return early after Spurs reserve keeper Robert Burch injured an ankle and he may even make the Spurs bench for the visit of Newcastle.

The loss is a bitter blow for Hessenthaler as he is now urgently seeking his sixth keeper of the season.

Jason Brown (thigh) and Bertrand Bossu (broken finger) are both injured, while Vince Bartram has retired and Nico Vaesen's loan spell finished at the end of January.

Youth product Danny Knowles may have been given a chance to impress but he too is out with a knee injury.

Lars just can't get a break. While obviously Spurs has every right to recall him when needed, the much needed playing time he was getting on loan has once been cut short by his own injury and now by a teammates injury. With Gillingham's signing of another keeper it is unlikely that he will return to that team.

Steve Banks signs on the dotted line

By Keith Pestell

Date: 11/3/2004

Steve Banks has rejoined Gillingham on a free transfer from Wimbledon. The 32-year-old shot stopper, who made 67 appearances for the club between 1993 and 1995, has signed a two-and-a-half year contract and will make his debut against Preston on Saturday.

The signing of Steve, who won the GISC Player of the Year award for his performances during the 1994/1995 season, came as a surprise but it was somewhat forced on the club after loanee Lars Hirschfeld was recalled by Tottenham earlier today.

Lars was recalled to White Hart Lane as reserve 'keeper Robert Burch injured his ankle yesterday playing for the second string.

The Canadian international, who made 2 appearances during his week and a half at Priestfield, could now find himself on the Spurs bench to face Newcastle United on Saturday.

This sucks, Lars finally gets a chance to show what he can do and now he's riding the pine again. This has got to be so frustrating for Lars, I hope he can keep his chin up.

Who's got a Kasey Keller voodoo doll? Get your pins out.

Just like his previous loan spell he played very well. I had been following some of the commentary from the Gills fan message board and the general opinion was that he was an excellent shot stopper but his kicking was very poor for a keeper at this level. Wouldn't Spurs work on this in training? I seem to remember a few MNT games where a field player was doing his kicking.

quote:Originally posted by bungey

Who's got a Kasey Keller voodoo doll? Get your pins out.

[}:)]

And what would make you think she hasn't?

"Mon Deau!!!

You a silly man! Worrying your selfs on these things you shouldn't. You-just-leave-it to Sistar Sugar.

She make it right. She allways make it right.

It be all ivory for your boy soon. It be alllll ivory.

Cheeta, bring me that chicken...

Hey now! That Father Boris know youz here?"

"What are? Nuts? He'd kick my ass!"

Archived