Happy Flag Day 2004

DJT

Flag Day in Canada is a day to celebrate the Canadian national flag (which was first used on February 15, 1965). I assume you took it as a day to celebrate flags in general or something. Well, at least you got into the spirit. :)

I don't know why we don't hear more about this day. Granted, it was established only in 1996 and it's not easy to just create these things and expect people to care, but more has to be done to hype it up. Geez, most Canadians are probably more familiar with Presidents' Day and other American holidays. I think Flag Day should be a holiday in Canada (we need one in the middle of winter, and we could use another day along with Canada Day to celebrate our country).

Now there's an idea.

If adopting a non-coloniel flag isn't reason enough for a holiday, especially in febuary, then I don't know what is.

People have forgotten the fights and squables that surrounded the flag issue, and the fact it even got to a point where a majority of english Canada would accept adopting a new flag. Quite an accomplishment I'd say. And it says something of the spirit of the times I'd guess.

Can you imagine asking a million vets and their families to shed the old and accept the new? And an unknown new one at that. I don't know how it was pulled off, but odviously it was.

Anyway, nice call DJT. At least to an evil nationalist like your's truly. I still hang the Red Ensign and Person's Maple Leaf side by each in my humble basement.

And that wraps todays mini-rant. As they say...

God save the Queen

Long live the Dominion of Canada

Peace out

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Flag Day in Canada is a day to celebrate the Canadian national flag (which was first used on February 15, 1965). I assume you took it as a day to celebrate flags in general or something.

I do realize... it's called taking the piss!

Fine... now you've gone and made me angry... so I'll have to post.... the Calgary flag! (quick, cover your eyes, everyone!)

ca-ab-cg.gif

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Flag Day in Canada is a day to celebrate the Canadian national flag (which was first used on February 15, 1965). I assume you took it as a day to celebrate flags in general or something.

I do realize... it's called taking the piss!

Fine... now you've gone and made me angry... so I'll have to post.... the Calgary flag! (quick, cover your eyes, everyone!)

ca-ab-cg.gif

Archived