De Guzman looked good.

Cheeta

Liked absolutely everything the man had to show today. 'cept the white boots. Yuck.

Mobile. Tireless. Unafraid with the ball. Runs with his head up. Quick decision making. Lad's got a bit of grit in him, eh? Clearly he's not afraid to cheat when the situation calls for it (although that second caution? Man, I don't know about that). But most of all he showed a certain hunger for moving up field with a mind for goal. I like that. I like that a lot.

And he looked for not one second out of his element. And there were some pretty famous names on the greasy grass in Munich today.

Nice to see a Canadian not afraid to have a go from range. Or more accurately afraid to try to have a go from range.

Oh yeah, Hargreaves had a pretty good match too I thought. Damn, we could use that right foot of his, whether you think he's a selfish prick or no:(.

P.S. No justice in that score line. At least if you were cheering for Hannover.

I agree Cheeta. I was very surprised (pleasantly actually) at how much influence Julian had in the game. For a smaller player, he sure won his share of balls in the air and gave a good account of himself against bigger names (and physiques) of Ballack and Ze Roberto.

Allen Hopkins, who we praised on another thread for his promotion of North American players was very complementary of Julian at his sending off, saying Hannover had just lost one of their most important players for next week's game. Hannover coach (Rangnick (sp?)) was also visible upset. Not sure if he was mad at the ref for the "very questionable" call or Julian for getting himself tossed at the end of a 3-1 game.

Anyway, I thought he played quite well. Good skills, rarely gives the ball away, and with more experience and confidence, could give us the midfield playmaking we desparately need. Gets stuck in there quite a bit as well.

You know what realy impressed me, or rather impressed me the most, was how alert he looked. I think we saw some of this in full colour for the first time during the Wolfsburg friendly.

He seemed to anticipate, react, and create at top flight speed. Giving his increasing skills and an odvious eye for the field of play this lad is going to make or break our WC squads chances of going to Germany. He is one of those rare players who'll make everyone around him better. He may not net bunchs of goals, but he'll get his share and others will get their share too (finaly!!) just because he, and his talents are there.

There. I've stuck my spotted neck out. And yes, yes, yes. I know. It's only one match. But the last year and change he's been teasing us with what bits we can get of him off the highlight reels and it just keeps getting better and better and better.

P.S. Looks a real bastard to play against dosen't he? Little knee shots, calf rakes, those short kicks into the outside of your foot that hurt oh-so-much if you manage to get by him. Very nice. I'm guessing that's what got him the 2nd caution. As poor a call as it seemed, think the ref felt enough was finaly enough.

I didn't get to watch the game, but I heard DeGuzman is a true standout on the team, and that Mathis is also visibly talented as compared to his team-mates.

This must be good news for us (DeGuz), hopefully DeGuz can move up to a squad where his more offensive talents will be appreciated in the next few years?

quote:Originally posted by Marc

I didn't get to watch the game, but I heard DeGuzman is a true standout on the team, and that Mathis is also visibly talented as compared to his team-mates.

The first part, based on the one game, is true. The second is iffy. Mathis had 2 or 3 nice passes but could not keep up with the play, had surprising few touches, and earned himself a "5" from Kicker. In fairness to Mathis, it is clear that his fitness is not up to snuff right now. But he played a pretty one dimensional game. He has some decent skills, but showed nothing particularly standoutish: For instance, one nice cross in could have led to a goal, but two attrocious balls in off of corners would have seen that duty removed from him on my rec league team.

No, not Mathis' best outing that's for sure. Don't know how many times FSWC showed his debut goal but I think they were expecting, or at least hoping, for more of the same on Sunday.

He's coming in tough. It'll be hard to get his timing and fitness up with what's left of the season but then again he dosen't have 20 games of fatigue (along with training) rung up on his legs either. Excitment and adrenaline won't carry him too far.

Still, if having to put up with watching Mathis chase about the field two-seconds and two steps behind the play means more Hannover matchs on FSWC, it's a cross I'm willing to bear.

Archived