English Premiership on Canadian/US TV?

Bleech

Hi guys,

I'm from England (Arsenal fan!) and we're emigrating at the end of the year to Vancouver ('Hopefully' if we get our visa :)).

One major thing I'm giving up to become a token Canadian are my regular visits to Highbury to see my beloved Arsenal. [V]

My question is, will it be easy to be able to watch games on Candian TV? I'm guessing Fox Sports show many EPL matches? How many Arsenal games will they show? Probably more than over here!! (Please please please)

Any help will be greatfully received as I really don't know what to expect at the moment.

Thanks in advance,

Col

We have up to 5 games a week on either Fox sports world Canada, sportsnet.

We have great EPL coverage in this country...I just love Canada... :D

We see most Arsenal games and Man U and...We have a preview show on sportsnet plus a highlits show on FOX. Great stuff!

We have Sky sports news on FOX...may I say more?

quote:Originally posted by Bleech

Hi guys,

I'm from England (Arsenal fan!) and we're emigrating at the end of the year to Vancouver ('Hopefully' if we get our visa :)).

One major thing I'm giving up to become a token Canadian are my regular visits to Highbury to see my beloved Arsenal. [V]

My question is, will it be easy to be able to watch games on Candian TV? I'm guessing Fox Sports show many EPL matches? How many Arsenal games will they show? Probably more than over here!! (Please please please)

Any help will be greatfully received as I really don't know what to expect at the moment.

Thanks in advance,

Col

Yes, that sounds like torture having to say goodbye to your regular Highbury visits!

But you could pretty much expect almost every Arsenal EPL match to be available in Vancouver. About half the games are on a basic cable channel and the other half on Fox Sports Canada.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Yes, that sounds like torture having to say goodbye to your regular Highbury visits!

But you could pretty much expect almost every Arsenal EPL match to be available in Vancouver. About half the games are on a basic cable channel and the other half on Fox Sports Canada.

Doh! Messed that up!!

ALL OF THEM? Wow, I was excited before, can't wait to get there now!

How much roughly does the cable package cost each month?

(Thanks for your help BTW)

quote:Originally posted by François

I have a dish with Bell Expressvu and I pay $51.00 a month for a bunch of channels including FoX sports world. You can probably save a bit of money if you take less channels than what I have right now...

Excellent, thanks mate.

That's really cheap :D. I'm paying £50 ($155!) a month to Sky plus an extra £70 ($161) a year for selected EPL matches (Premiership +). What a con!! Like most things over here.

It wont be the same as being there in person, but it's the next best thing.

Do you have Champions league coverage as well?

DirecTV and Dish are U.S. satellite services but with regards to the EPL itself, Canadian TV is actually a better bet than U.S. TV. Many games that are on either basic cable (SportsNet) or digital cable/satellite (Fox Sports World) in Canada are restricted to pay-per-view in the U.S. Bell ExpressVu and StarChoice are the Canadian satellite services. The local cable provider in Vancouver would almost certainly offer Fox Sports World on digital cable (and SportsNet on regular cable). You could go either way.

For Champions League coverage, things are (sadly) not so great for Arsenal supporters. We usually get two matches per week (as others have stated), but TSN rarely covers Arsenal. Maybe one or two matches per year. Real Madrid, the Italian teams and ManUtd seem to get better coverage. As Jarrek stated, you could get more matches if (in addition to Canadian cable/satellite) you also had a U.S. dish, although the main U.S. network (ESPN2) usually covers the same matches that are shown on TSN. If you really wanted to see all the Arsenal CL matches, you could subscribe to the Intnernet video-streaming service that is provided (gives you delayed coverage only).

Over the past couple of years, SportsNet and Fox Sports World have picked up FA Cup coverage and often show the Arsenal Cup ties. There's no coverage of the League Cup in Canada, but I don't imagine you're too broken up about that!

Coupled with the fact that U.K. football magazines (like When Saturday Comes and Four Four Two) and newspapers are available here in many newsstands, you should be able to get your fill.

Hey Bleech -- if you're moving to Vancouver, here's something you'll have to get used to living in this province. There are two EPL games shown Saturday morning (Rogers SportsNet) and two on Sunday (Fox Sports World), all available without a dish. The thing is, in British Columbia the first Saturday game starts at 7 a.m., and the first Sunday game at 6 a.m. If there's a live game on Monday (as there often is on Fox Sports World), it comes on here in BC at the reasonable hour of either 11:30 a.m. or noon.

I've basically given up watching the first game on Saturday and Sunday. Just too early. But if you're an EPL fanatic, I guess the 6 a.m. - 7 a.m. weekend thing shouldn't be a problem for you.

Hey Bleech -- if you're moving to Vancouver, here's something you'll have to get used to living in this province. There are two EPL games shown Saturday morning (Rogers SportsNet) and two on Sunday (Fox Sports World), all available without a dish. The thing is, in British Columbia the first Saturday game starts at 7 a.m., and the first Sunday game at 6 a.m. If there's a live game on Monday (as there often is on Fox Sports World), it comes on here in BC at the reasonable hour of either 11:30 a.m. or noon.

I've basically given up watching the first game on Saturday and Sunday. Just too early. But if you're an EPL fanatic, I guess the 6 a.m. - 7 a.m. weekend thing shouldn't be a problem for you.

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance,

Col

No Worries Col!

Sportsnet, & Fox Sports World Canada will do most of your games. If not, a local supporters club may have the games on satelite (Even if you have to get up at an UNGODLY hour to see them).

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance,

Col

No Worries Col!

Sportsnet, & Fox Sports World Canada will do most of your games. If not, a local supporters club may have the games on satelite (Even if you have to get up at an UNGODLY hour to see them).

quote:Originally posted by BC supporter

No worries there mate, I've got 3 kids :D

Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it.

Sounds like you get a lot more coverage than we do over here! We dont get any Saturday games!! We get 2 on a Sunday, the first is a PPV, then we get one on a Monday night, that's it. Some people get the european satalite systems which pick up the Saturday matches, but the commentary is usually in Outer Mongolian or something :)

Out satalite system in the UK is a digital system which also comes with a hard drive, (a bit like TIVO) it allows you to record programs and perform live pause and rewind etc, do you have the same?

Cheers

Out satalite system in the UK is a digital system which also comes with a hard drive, (a bit like TIVO) it allows you to record programs and perform live pause and rewind etc, do you have the same?

Cheers

I have digital cable (Rogers) and that capability is not currently offered, but Bell Expressvu (http://www.expressvu.ca/) offers terminals like that, they are referred to as "Personal Video Recorders".

The biggest change you will probably find moving from England is that you can actually watch a live match on TV that starts at 3pm UK time.

It blew my mind when I lived in England that leading up to 3 o'clock, the BBC would have spend tons of time previewing all the great matches that were about to start. And then at 3 o'clock on the nose - it's off to horse racing! :(

However, you will find trying to find soccer highlights very frustrating in Canada. They are typically not on the normal nightly sports shows.

Archived