Copa Libertadores 2004 [R]

amacpher

Tonight is the beginning of, IMHO, the most exciting club tournament in existence (anyone who saw the River Plate v America Cali quarterfinal last year knows what I’m talking about). An intriguing match-up to get things started – Colo Colo v Dep. Cali. And of course Cruzeiro play their first game tomorrow night. I haven’t heard anything about whether Rivaldo is expected to start that game. Anyone?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Tonight is the beginning of, IMHO, the most exciting club tournament in existence (anyone who saw the River Plate v America Cali quarterfinal last year knows what I’m talking about). An intriguing match-up to get things started – Colo Colo v Dep. Cali. And of course Cruzeiro play their first game tomorrow night. I haven’t heard anything about whether Rivaldo is expected to start that game. Anyone?

I think he is expected to start, when he joined Cruzeiro he said his goal was to win the Copa Libertadores, so I doubt they would leave him off the starting 11. I think they will also be wearing new uniforms too.

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Okay.....I admit, not my favourite competition.But I can't find a web site that's in any-other language than Spanish or Portuguese .Can you guys supply me with a web site in English or Francais.

I just use this :

http://www.peru.com/futbol/libertadores/

It's spanish but is still easy to navigate thru if you don't know spanish. Or you could just run the website thru AltaVista Translations. But that website is good and gives all the info you need. Included are links to follow the games live ("Transmisiones en vivo")

Tonight is the beginning of, IMHO, the most exciting club tournament in existence (anyone who saw the River Plate v America Cali quarterfinal last year knows what I’m talking about).

Unfortunately we don't get to see any matches in Canada (unless you have a grey-market dish, or go to a bar I guess). We just get some highlights on Fox Sports World Report. I usually follow/listen to the matches involving Argentinian teams when I can, especially in the later stages.

quote:Originally posted by argh

Okay.....I admit, not my favourite competition.But I can't find a web site that's in any-other language than Spanish or Portuguese .Can you guys supply me with a web site in English or Francais.

The question of English-language coverage of South American soccer has come up before. Generally there just isn't much available. South American soccer seems to be isolated: they themselves do not make much available in English, and off-continent English-language sources do not cover them in much detail.

I use the site that amacpher posted, but if you just want the bare minimum schedule, results and standings in English (not that language makes a difference for these things) then there's always RSSSF. Following the Spanish audio Webcasts can be difficult (though rewarding because of the excitement), so I also follow along with text updates (still in Spanish, but it's easier to read than understand those fast-talking commentators): matches involving Argentinian teams are at http://www.futbolargentino.com/minutoaminuto/ and matches involving Peruvian teams are at http://www.peru.com/futbol/minutoaminuto/. (These two sites and the one that amacpher posted are all made by the same people. I heard they were going to make some for other countries as well but I don't know if they have.)

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Unfortunately we don't get to see any matches in Canada (unless you have a grey-market dish, or go to a bar I guess). We just get some highlights on Fox Sports World Report. I usually follow/listen to the matches involving Argentinian teams when I can, especially in the later stages.

Every year I keep praying that FSW/FSWC would pick this tournament up. I'm not sure what's holding them back!? It can't be that expensive since they've already bought the rights to show every game on FS Espanol. If their argument is that nobody cares about South American soccer, than why are they showing Copa do Brasil and Torneos de Verano matches in its place??

quote:Originally posted by HomaridII

I think he is expected to start, when he joined Cruzeiro he said his goal was to win the Copa Libertadores, so I doubt they would leave him off the starting 11. I think they will also be wearing new uniforms too.

Well, Rivaldo did play the entire game for Cruzeiro playing his usual position. In the first-minute he charged forward with a good run and almost created a goal! But in the next 89 minutes he was less than impressive. He had a couple of long-range efforts that went well wide, and one golden-chance from about 12 yards out that he somehow blew! Other than that he was pretty invisible. He didn't even take any free-kicks or corners since Cruzeiro already have a left-footer (Alex) who does that for them.

• 2 weeks later...

River Plate v Libertad, looks like the game to watch on Wednesday.

Bet the atmosphere in Buenos Aires will be something.

Just and add on: Rosario v Cristal on Thurs looks interesting too.

Hey, I've never followed S.A. soccer , what's happening[:P]

River Plate v Libertad, looks like the game to watch on Wednesday.

Bet the atmosphere in Buenos Aires will be something.

Just and add on: Rosario v Cristal on Thurs looks interesting too.

Hey, I've never followed S.A. soccer , what's happening[:P]

Good to see!

But the atmosphere in Rosario should be far better than what'll exist in the (probably) half-empty stadium in River! I just love that stadium in Rosario!

But the atmosphere in Rosario should be far better than what'll exist in the (probably) half-empty stadium in River! I just love that stadium in Rosario!

I see , River Plate won 4-1 Libertad .....But I can't find a box score to tell if the stadium was half-full or half-empty[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

Sao Paulo 3-1 over Cobreloa in front of 60,000 in Sao Paulo and two goals bye Luis Fabiano..

Yeah Fabiano's second-goal was simply ridiculous! Dribbled around 3 defenders, then curled-in a 20 yard shot to the upper-corner.

I see , River Plate won 4-1 Libertad .....But I can't find a box score to tell if the stadium was half-full or half-empty

I didn't see any official numbers on the attendance either but the stadium looked about 70% full. So roughly 45,000.

And the scenes in Rosario last night were incredible!! Game between Rosario Central and Crystal was suspended about 5 minutes in the first-half in an attempt to calm the fans down. Didn't really work. Finished 1-1.

Why Luis Fabiano isn't in Europe baffles me. 30 goals last year in the Brazilian Championship. 8 goals in 6 games in the current Sao Paulo State Championships and now two goals in the most recent game of the Libertadores Championship.

I'm just guessing, but Sao Paulo probably didn't wanna sell him in the same year as they sold Kaka.

Werder Bremen should grab him to replace Ailton.

I was thinking he would look very good in a Barcelona shirt. I mean how badly does Barca need a player like that?

Thursday:

Group 4

In Quito: Liga de Quito (Ecuador) 3 Sao Paulo (Brazil) 0

Scorers:

Liga de Quito - Juan Paredes 28, Giovanni Espinosa 45+1, Patrico Urrutia 81

Halftime: 2-0; Attendance: 30,000

- -

In Lima: Alianza Lima (Peru) 2 Cobreloa (Chile) 0

Scorer: Jefferson Farfan 68, 81

Red card: Esteban Gonzalez (Cobreloa) 73

- -

Group 5

In Montevideo: Nacional (Uruguay) 1 Cienciano (Peru) 0

Scorer: Fernando Machado 29

Red card: Fernando Machado (Nacional) 87

HT: 1-0; Att: 28,000

- -

Group 9

In Rosario, Argentina: Rosario Central (Argentina) 2 Coritiba (Brazil) 0

Scorers: Pablo Sanchez 29, German Herrera 75

HT: 1-0; Att: 45,000

Just spoke with a friend in Sao Paulo (Morumbi).. Huge crowd expected for Sao Paulo FC - LDU Quito game. Traffic jams in front of stadium already 4 hours before game time. LDU Quito won 3-0 in Quito last week.

Must win game tonight for Sao Paulo! Remember only the group-winners are guaranteed a place in the octavos de final. Anything but 3 points for SP tonight pretty much clinches first-place for LDU.

For the same reason, Boca must do no worse than a draw in Colombia!

1-0 Sao Paulo... Goal by Luis Fabiano... The city is going nuts but it may not be enough because of goal difference. Two games to make up the difference...

Must win game tonight for Sao Paulo! Remember only the group-winners are guaranteed a place in the octavos de final. Anything but 3 points for SP tonight pretty much clinches first-place for LDU.

For the same reason, Boca must do no worse than a draw in Colombia!

1-0 Sao Paulo... Goal by Luis Fabiano... The city is going nuts but it may not be enough because of goal difference. Two games to make up the difference...

Yeah, nice Totti-like chip shot Fabiano made last night. That win almost ensures that they'll be one of the 5-best second-place teams at worst.

Do you know what the tie-breaker is??? In this case, LDU would win either way (head-to-head or goal diff.) but it would still be nice to find out.

Archived