Copa Libertadores 2004 [R]

amacpher

I don't know the tie breaking procedure but assume it is the usual goal difference and away goals process. All second place teams move on but if you are the 6th to ninth best second place team, you go through playoff to get to the next knock out phase. as below..

Group winners and 5 best runners-up qualify for second round;

remaining 4 runners-up play off in one match (Apr 28):

6th best runners-up vs 9th best runners-up

7th best runners-up vs 8th best runners-up

Second Round (May 5 and 12)

winners Play Off 7th-8th best runners-up - winners Group 1 (A)

winners Play Off 6th-9th best runners-up - winners Group 2 (B)

5th best runners-up - winners Group 3 ©

4th best runners-up - winners Group 4 (D)

3rd best runners-up - winners Group 5 (E)

2nd best runners-up - winners Group 6 (F)

1st best runners-up - winners Group 7 (G)

winners Group 9 - winners Group 8 (H)

Quarterfinals (May 19 and 26)

winners A - winners H (S1)

winners G - winners B (S2)

winners F - winners C (S3)

winners D - winners E (S4)

Semifinals (Jun 9 and 16)

winners S1 - winners S3 (F1)

winners S4 - winners S2 (F2)

Final (Jun 23 and 30)

winners F1 - winners F2

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

I don't know the tie breaking procedure but assume it is the usual goal difference and away goals process.

yeah ... judging from Copa 2003, it looks like overall goal difference is the first tie-breaker, unlike the Champions League. Cobreloa was awarded first-place in the following group despite the fact that Olympia outscored them 3-2 in the 2 head-to-head games:

1.Cobreloa (Calama) 6 2 3 1 9- 5 9

2.Olimpia (Asunción) 6 2 3 1 9- 6 9

3.Gimnasia y Esgrima (La Plata) 6 1 4 1 8- 7 7

4.Alianza Lima 6 1 2 3 6-14 5

I don't know the tie breaking procedure but assume it is the usual goal difference and away goals process.

yeah ... judging from Copa 2003, it looks like overall goal difference is the first tie-breaker, unlike the Champions League. Cobreloa was awarded first-place in the following group despite the fact that Olympia outscored them 3-2 in the 2 head-to-head games:

1.Cobreloa (Calama) 6 2 3 1 9- 5 9

2.Olimpia (Asunción) 6 2 3 1 9- 6 9

3.Gimnasia y Esgrima (La Plata) 6 1 4 1 8- 7 7

4.Alianza Lima 6 1 2 3 6-14 5

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by argh1

I, see , SPORTING CRISTAL 4-1 ROSARIO . Would you consider that an upset?

The fact they won so easily is probably a surprise. But after seeing the first game in Rosario b/w these 2 teams, I have to say Central were lucky just to get a draw in that game.

BTW, the first goal by Sporting in that 4-1 win was scored on about a 20-yard bicycle kick by Jorge Soto! The fact that Soto somehow one-timed that kick from about a 40-yard pass originating from mid-field made it even more incredible!

Altitude can often be an advantage, but wasn't a factor as Sporting Cristal is from Lima, at sea level. The other Peruvian team is Cienciano from Cuzco, which is at about 10,000 feet, but they are playing at Arequipa about half the altitude because of Stadium quality. They don't seem too be reaping the benefit like some of the Bolivian, Mexican and Ecudorean teams, but that's probably because they are in over their head, unlike the powerful Cristal side.

Also I am certain Sao Paulo FC is the wealthiest Brazilian club given its location in Sao Paulo. For that reason, they would probably be able to hold on to him a little longer than other clubs.

Yeah I know someone who lived in Sao Paulo for 14 years and he can confirm that Sao Paulo FC is the most wealthy team in the state. Corinithians is the most popular though. Flamengo is probably the most popular in the country.

• 2 weeks later...

Struck me as odd that a story from Sao Paulo is filed from Rio.

From Yahoo.com

Sao Paulo reach second round with Luis Fabiano double

RIO DE JANEIRO, April 8 (Reuters) - Striker Luis Fabiano scored twice as Sao Paulo came from behind to beat Alianza Lima 3-1 and qualify for the second round of the South American Libertadores Cup.

Ecuadorean champions Liga de Quito joined them by thrashing Cobreloa 5-1 while Paraguayan champions Libertad beat River Plate 1-0 to win their first game in two other matches played Wednesday night.

Peruvian champions Alianza took a shock lead through Roberto Silva in the 23rd minute of the Group Four match in Sao Paulo but the Brazilians, twice former champions, equalised 15 minutes later with a deflected shot by midfielder Marquinhos.

Luis Fabiano, who took his tally in the competition to five goals, put the home side ahead one minute after halftime with an individual goal and volleyed his second in the 70th minute.

Sao Paulo finished top of Group Four with 15 points from five games while Liga came second after beating their Chilean opponents in Quito.

Colombian Elkin Murillo scored twice and the other goals were shared between Ecuadorean international defender Neicer Reasco and Paraguayans Juan Paredes and Carlos Espinola.

Patricio Galaz replied for Cobreloa who lost all six of their games.

Liga's total of 12 points means that are assured of finishing as one of the five best second-placed teams and go directly into the last 16.

Juan Samudio struck two minutes before halftime in Asuncion for Libertad, who stayed third in Group Six with five points and still have only a faint chance of qualifying.

Argentina's River have a four-point lead at the top and need to draw their last game at home to Venezuela's Deportivo Tachira to win the group.

Bolivar striker Jose Castillo scored his fourth goal of the competition to give his side a 1-0 win over Deportivo Cali of Colombia in La Paz.

The win took the Bolivians three points clear of their opponents in Group Eight and level on nine points with leaders Boca Juniors of Argentina, who have a game in hand and a better goal difference.

Bolivar striker Jose Castillo scored his fourth goal of the competition to give his side a 1-0 win over Deportivo Cali of Colombia in La Paz.

The win took the Bolivians three points clear of their opponents in Group Eight and level on nine points with leaders Boca Juniors of Argentina, who have a game in hand and a better goal difference.

Unfortunately, Bolivar really needed to win by 2 goals to have a realistic chance of advancing to the second round. Now they need a small miracle to happen on the last group-stage game!

Group 9 wraps-up play:

1.Sporting Cristal (Lima)

2.Rosario Central

3.Olimpia (Asunción)

4.Coritiba (Curitiba)

Sporting's reward for finishing first is almost certain to be a match-up with Boca Juniors!

Central will probably meet Cruzeiro or the Mexican Santos in round 2.

• 2 weeks later...

REPECHAJE (28 de abril)

REP 1: BARCELONA 6:1 MARACAIBO

REP 2: SAO CAETANO* 2:2 INDEPENDIENTE

Round of 16 (first leg May 4-6, second May 11-13)</u>

SAO CAETANO (Sao Paulo, BRA) x AMÉRICA (Mexico City, MEX)

CRISTAL (Lima, PERU) x BOCA (Buenos Aires, ARG)

SANTOS LAGUNA (Torreón, MEX) x RIVER (Buenos Aires, ARG)

D. CALI (Cali, Colombia) x CRUZEIRO (Belo Horizonte, BRA)

BARCELONA (Guayaquil, ECU) x CALDAS (Manizales, COL)

LDU (Quito, ECU) x SANTOS (Sao Paulo, BRA)

ROSARIO (Rosario, ARG) x SAO PAULO (Sao Paulo, BRA)

TÁCHIRA (San Cristóbal, VEN) x NACIONAL (Montevideo, URU)

Also Guillermo Barros Schelotto has been sold by BOCA to CLUB AMÉRICA . Teams could meet in the quarter-finals but Schelotto will still be w/ Boca 'til July!

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

I know this will sound ignorant, but it would be cool if you put the club's country in parentheses next to its name...puts it in geographical and social perspective.

Done.

<rant>

How unfair is it that Marcaibo and Independiente had to play one-off matches in their opponents stadium?? The only thing separating the 4 teams in the play-in round was goal difference (goal difference attained against totally separate opponents, I might add). Something has gotta be done about this! Hello, neutral site match? </rant>

Alright I'm talking to myself again, i know.

What is good to see is the success so far of the teams from outside the traditional big three (Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay) in this competition...especially the fact that two Venezuelan clubs (Tachira and Maracaibo) made it past the Group stages. Also notable is that no clubs from the traditional second tier (Chile and Paraguay) are still in it. It'd be great if one of the "northern" teams from outside the big three countires and "southern cone" could win it :).

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

What is good to see is the success so far of the teams from outside the traditional big three (Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay) in this competition...especially the fact that two Venezuelan clubs (Tachira and Maracaibo) made it past the Group stages. It'd be great if one of the teams from outside the big three countires :) could win it.

I think Club America has a real chance even though they're in the tougher half of the bracket. Not that I wanna see it, but they scare me! We all know how much Argentinian teams suck in high altitude! Usually its against Bolivian and Peruvian clubs who they can beat by 3,4,5 goals in the return-leg back in Argentina. Don't see that happening against America though!

Another thing is that America's domestic season could be over in two weeks which would be another big advantage for them!

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

I know this will sound ignorant, but it would be cool if you put the club's country in parentheses next to its name...puts it in geographical and social perspective.

Professor Mimglow, we heartily look forward to your treatise on the full "social perspective" concerning the various clubs, social class of supporters and urban sociology in this competition ;). We need a Canadian equivalent of Paulo Friere:D.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Professor Mimglow, we heartily look forward to your treatise on the full "social perspective" concerning the various clubs, social class of supporters and urban sociology in this competition ;). We need a Canadian equivalent of Paulo Friere:D.

I'll get right on that [8D]

REPECHAJE (28 de abril)

SAO CAETANO (Sao Paulo, BRA) 2:1 AMÉRICA (Mexico City, MEX)

CRISTAL (Lima, PERU) 2:3 BOCA (Buenos Aires, ARG)

SANTOS LAGUNA (Torreón, MEX) 0:1 RIVER (Buenos Aires, ARG)

D. CALI (Cali, Colombia) 1:0 CRUZEIRO (Belo Horizonte, BRA)

BARCELONA (Guayaquil, ECU) 0:0 CALDAS (Manizales, COL)

LDU (Quito, ECU) 4:2 SANTOS (Sao Paulo, BRA)

ROSARIO (Rosario, ARG) 1:0 SAO PAULO (Sao Paulo, BRA)

TÁCHIRA (San Cristóbal, VEN) 3:0 NACIONAL (Montevideo, URU)

Wow! Santos scores two goals in the first 4 minutes of their game! It looked over! Then LDU hits back with four! Hmmm... could all Brazilian teams be eliminated before the quarterfinals? Nah...

Good game by Santos of Mexico. Damn! They really showed-off their skill! Somehow they managed to find a way to lose which essentially means they're toast!

Tachira 3, Nacional 0? I couldn't believe what I was seeing! Not that its over yet. Beautiful location for a stadium though! (Maybe the Leafs should have relocated here!?)

Cristal x Boca: What a great game! Though Cristal made the mistake of sitting back and protecting a 2:1 lead which (outside of Italy) is never gonna work for 135 minutes.

Re Santos.. It should be interesting in the second game in Brazil. Santos has a lot of talent but it is very young but inconsistent at times. They have not been playing all that well lately. I would expect Santos to attack at home. LDU was the team that gave Sao Paulo FC trouble so it is definitely possible that they can hold on.

As for Cruzeiro and Deportivo Cali, game 2 is likely going to be much different in Belo Horizonte.

It is also interesting to note that both Mexican teams are now down.. I refer to the comments earlier by some about the strength of the Mexican league relative to other S.A leagues. America probably has the best chance to turn it around as they play at home still.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

REPECHAJE (28 de abril)

SAO CAETANO (Sao Paulo, BRA) 2:1 AMÉRICA (Mexico City, MEX)

CRISTAL (Lima, PERU) 2:3 BOCA (Buenos Aires, ARG)

SANTOS LAGUNA (Torreón, MEX) 0:1 RIVER (Buenos Aires, ARG)

D. CALI (Cali, Colombia) 1:0 CRUZEIRO (Belo Horizonte, BRA)

BARCELONA (Guayaquil, ECU) x CALDAS (Manizales, COL)

LDU (Quito, ECU) 4:2 SANTOS (Sao Paulo, BRA)

ROSARIO (Rosario, ARG) x SAO PAULO (Sao Paulo, BRA)

TÁCHIRA (San Cristóbal, VEN) 3:0 NACIONAL (Montevideo, URU)

Wow! Santos scores two goals in the first 4 minutes of their game! It looked over! Then LDU hits back with four! Hmmm... could all Brazilian teams be eliminated before the quarterfinals? Nah...

Good game by Santos. Damn! They really showed-off their skill! Somehow they managed to find a way to lose which essentially means they're toast!

Tachira 3, Nacional 0? I couldn't believe what I was seeing! Not that its over yet. Beautiful location for a stadium though! (Maybe the Leafs should have relocated here!?)

Cristal x Boca: What a great game! Though Cristal made the mistake of sitting back and protecting a 2:1 lead which (outside of Italy) is never gonna work for 135 minutes.

It is also interesting to note that both Mexican teams are now down.. I refer to the comments earlier by some about the strength of the Mexican league relative to other S.A leagues. America probably has the best chance to turn it around as they play at home still.

I hate to make excuses for Mexican teams, but keep in mind Santos Laguna is in 10th-place late in the MFL season. Maybe a different story if they were playing someone in Argentina with a similar ranking! And they still dominated the game against River, whatever that's worth!

America meanwhile had to play their biggest rivals on Saturday night, then travel to Brazil to play a team they already beat twice in this competition!

Anyway, Santos Laguna are baked; America still solid favorites to advance!

Well, the Brazilians take this sport seriously.. Reports out of Sao Paulo have Emerson Leão, Technical Director of Santos, fired.....today.

They take the sport seriously relative to, say, Canada. But, come on, the management of clubs is a farce, the players are major head-cases and many (especially older) fans are getting tired of it all!

Personally, I hope all 5 Brazilian teams do get eliminated before the quarterfinals. Might be a wake-up call!

Archived